Sign in to follow this  
Luke O Donoughoe

what would u prefer, us staying in prem for next 10 years or England winning Euro 2004 and World cup 06????

To be honest I don''t feel half as excited as normal before a major tournament. Think it''s because after the excitement of last season anything that happens in euro 2004 will pale into insignificance. Norwich before england everytime for me.

as patriotic as i am, if bbc was showing england live and we were on sky at the same time, i would be watching norwich...no matter what league we are in

We would be as big a nation as Holland or Scotland. At the first meeting of the East Anglain parliament we could outlaw businesses who do not pay their debts to the local community. Oh dear. bye bye ITFC.

erm,have to say it''s a hard one.........Norwich in prem,but i''m gonna be greedy and say why can''t we have both?. Now that would be outta this world!!

Unbelievable answers. Has this board been infiltrated by Scots?

I''m off to Portugal so wont read posts for a while thank god.

You may see me on the box with the Norwich AND Engalnd gear on.

Proud of both.

i would have to say that england winning would boost the whole country moral and would make england become more united...but...

if norwich stay in the premiership for the next 10 years then i reckon they will win more stuff.

both are as good as each other and hey let''s hope they both come true..

p.s
couldn''t engl;and win both and norwich win the premiership 4 times and champs league 1 time and both cups 2 times? then get relegated with about 100 million in the bank?

It has to be Norwich to stay in the Premiership , having supported Norwich for over 30 years and had to endure nine years of div 1 misery l''d love to see us in the Prem for the next decade and hopefully longer ! . I can''t get too excited watching England i hope they do well but as country we expect too much of them and the press always hype up the tension and then the team are under unnecessary pressure .

I think that contributors to this debate should declare whether or not they are actually English!!
The England team all have something important in common with me - they are English. Most of the guys who play for Norwich have no connection with the place other than as an employee of the club. So I make a distinction in my head between the club and its employees. I support the club passionately, but don''t hero-worship the players or management because without exception they would all move to another club at the drop of a hat if a better offer came along, and half of them probably dream of scoring the winning goal AGAINST England in a World Cup final.
I don''t think this point of view makes me cynical, and it certainly doesn''t make me any less of a City fan. But I would trade a World Cup win for five years in the Premier League.

Only two teams I support Norwich and England (club & country)
but in answer to the question, it''s all about winning things and as you have England winning
and Norwich surviving I have to go for England on this one.

fool on the hill - the problem with national identity is that it is hard to define. It isn''t just about what passport you carry.

Michael Owen spent his whole life growing up and living in Wales. Yet because the nearest hospital was in Chester he was born across the border. He does have English parents though, and even a Scottish grandparent so he could have played for them! So how much of a connection with England does Owen have? You mentioned lack of club loyalty, but how loyal was Owen in choosing England over Wales? It was his choice which country he played for just as which club side (except the choice is more limited in International Football terms).

It works the same in reverse with Ryan Giggs. Born in Wales but spent his whole life in England. Zinadine Zidane recently said he considers himself an Algerian first, then a Frenchman. And so on.

Spurs have been in the Prem since it started (I know loads of others have too, but I know loads of spurs fans), and their fans are never happy. Yes they have more money than Norwich etc. etc. but that doesn''t give that buzz.
England winning Euro 2004 and the World Cup would far out way simply staying in the Prem for 10 years, I cannot believe its a debate.
Norwich winning the 1st Division gave me more of buzz than simply staying in the Prem would. Like someone else just said its all about winning things and nothing is better than the World Cup come on, wheres the national pride? This is why our country is slowly being taken away from us!

Winning the World Cup provides four years of gloating over all other nations and brings all English people of all creeds and colours united under one banner smiling, singing and drinking together.

Now if you were to change it to Norwich winning the Prem compared to England winning both titles than that would be a bit tougher.

Pyro Pete wrote: "the problem with national identity is that it is hard to define".

No it''s not, Pete, at least certainly not where international football is concerned. To use the Michael Owen example, he may have qualified to play for several countries, but he chose England. That makes him English. By the same token Ryan Giggs is Welsh. End of story. Once a player plays for his chosen country, that''s it. For life. Spain can''t come along and poach Michael Owen, England can''t poach Ryan Giggs.

If Zidane considers himself an Algerian first, then he''s being disgustingly cynical in choosing to play for France, presumably because he has a better chance of glory that way. Who knows what Algeria might have achieved if they''d had Zidane? I wonder what Algerians think of him?

But the point is, Zidane has burned his boats now. For the purposes of international football he is French, and will ever remain thus. Compare and contrast with the merry-go-round of carpet baggers that is professional club football in this country. That was really my point.

Fool, Swindon and Stevenage thank god for you three. There I was in Lisbon internet cafe checking out the board earlier and frankly if it wasn''t for you guys I doubt if I would post again.

For the record I felt exactly the same on Sunday as I did at Cardiff v Brum. So near to glory, cruelly robbed at the end, but with a feeling of hope as I digested what I had just saw.

There were 3 Norwich / England flags I saw in the ground, did anyone see them on the telly back home. Mind you, I also saw an Ipswich town customised wheelchair in the main town square which made me laugh.

Roll on Thursday.

PS Convinced Green would have saved free kick though. C''est la vie.

Norwich EVERY time...success for our Club is far more important to me than any amount of success for the England team.

so sucess to you is floating about in the bottom half of the premiership?
Compare that to OUR country winning the World Cup, you have got to be kidding me?

As I said before Norwich to win Premiership or even qualify for Europe V''s England winning Euro 2004, now that would be Norwich every day of the week.

Mind you Norwich to win Premiership or qualify for Europe V''s England to win the WORLD CUP. England winning the World cup would just edge for me. The national pride that would instill in so many people.

I would even go so far to say that getting relegated and winning the Div 1 Title again at some point in the 10 years would be more exciting than just finishing in the bottom half of the prem year after year.

What could possibly beat the national euphoria of an English World Cup win?

Norwich scrapping out survival for a decade? NO.

Now i''d hate relegation as much as the next man, but as long as it doesn''t result in the club going under i''d be able to live with it.

What would be a real tragedy is for the current crop of England players to not live up to their potential.

In answer to the Question, on this occaision, England.

Explain Yourself Luke!

Hmmm, a very tricky one this, and one which has sparked much debate. As the offer is merely City''s survival in the Prem against England wining back-to-back tournaments, I''m going to have to go with England this time. If any of you other English fans have ever lived in Scotland or Wales, you will understand that a sense of national identity becomes very important to you. Before I lived in Scotland, I classed myself as British, and only took a passing interest in England teams, but with the jocks ramming it down your throat every five seconds, and even buying German, Belgian, Cameroon shirts to wear just because they were playing England, my attitude changed somewhat.......I even watched our game against Bayern (away) in a bar full of jocks wearing Bayern shirts, because they always want to see English teams lose, no matter who they are.

I am English and proud of it, so to see my national side win two tournaments in my lifetime would be amazing. But, as said before, offer me City to win the Prem, or play in the Champions League in that 10 year period, and it would be City every time. The ideal would be for both to happen.