Sign in to follow this  
xx

Well done Worthy

Would just like express my delight and surprise at securing the McKenzie deal.

Well done Worthy and the borad for moving so swiftly

Oh God, not this again!!!! Huckerby''s wages would be massive - will people please stop making out like it''s just some transfer fee issue. He can say whatever he wants about how sad he is, then it makes the clubs look bad for not signing him/selling him. However, if he wanted 6 grand a week then I think he''d be here now, not McKenzie.

As I said it was all about Hux wages.

A deal had allegedly been agreed at around the £500k mark with Man City hence the meeting on Weds to thrash out Hux personal finances. The combination of the cost of his remaining contract with Man City & his on going demands that he remained excessively out of our price bracket. As with Forest last year Hux & his agent seem to think that he can pick up good premiership wages in Div 1 - no one will pay him those in the premiership so why would they in Div 1? As much blame for his non signing must lie with Hux as our board.

As such they have simply moved the transfer fee from 1 player to the other hence where the cash came from. I have to agree that £625k does seem excessive, especially with an additional sell on clause for 15%... hopefully he will be successful enough to invoke that clause. And his demands would have been comfortably within our current structure...

OTBC

I''d give up if I were your Mr Leftfoot, you''ve as much chance of explaining the basics of rudimentary finance to some people as you have of seeing the annual Birdman of Worthing contest produce someone who can do any more than flap a couple of times before plunging helplessly into the water below.

I would have said "an infinite number of monkeys sat in front of a typewriter producing the works of shakespeare" but felt in might be a bit too close to home given the ramdom words strung together in many posts that are supposed to pass as a coherent argument.

Interesting point made in the local last night was the unusually large number of clubs Hickerby has had and the short time he has stayed with them.

Bursts on the scene for a few months then fades away before being quietly moved on.

Be curious to see where he actually does end up in 2004 - and 2007(when his contract with us would be nearing it''s end)

I think I will take your advice Master Green - I''m getting dizzy typing in ever decreasing circles...

Am I missing something?

The EDP say its £325k which rises to ''nearer £700k if we get promotion''. Either they have got it wrong, or you have.

As for sacks of hay, are you suggesting that the last player we got from Peterborough turned out to be crap?

Tell me what scoring rate a player would need to have in the 2nd division before you''d look at him.

No doubt this will arise in the future and he''ll either have got a few or not. But believe me, if he scores the winner on the 21st he will be a hero. End of.

Ama

I love it - the poor guy''s been here 24 hours and already some people are calling him a donkey. They seem to forget that the same teams that are after Huckerby were after Mackenzie. Still, why destroy the myth that we''re just a bunch of carrot crunching cowboys who shoot first and ask questions later, eh?
Master Green - interesting point about Huckerby''s form over the years. I was wondering this myself, so looked up his stats and the strange thing is that he has barely had a decent run of games since 1996. He''s rarely played more than 30 games per club, which is surprisingly little. His goal ratio is around 1 in 3 or 4 when he''s started regularly, but that''s been so few and far between it''s impossible to draw any more conclusions. He seems to end up as the eternal substitute, much like Neilsen did. I guess there are similarities - pace, occasional trickery etc that are great to bring on in the last 20 mins - but it does make me wonder whether he''s a player that will never quite fulfill his promise.
Either that or he''s finally decided to get his head down and will end up bagging a load of goals for whoever he next plays for....

Would suggest the latter el rey. Though it might not go down to well with the assorted believers who have convinced themselves that Huckerby is the messiah.

Neither will the thought that the quoted transfer fee is roughly the same as we would have had to pay for Huckerby in wages till the end of the season (assuming that is Man City didn''t want a transfer fee and that Man City would happily take him back so we wouldn''t have to pay the £150,000 for him to sun himself in the close season)

Wonder who the next striker will be ?

Think we need a bit of cover at the back as well

If indeed we have the need for sacks of hay, then with a scoring rate of one goal every 1.85 games for Peterborough it must be doing him good.
Compare this scoring rate with a certain current ''legend'' who played 142 games for Huddersfield, mainly in the third division, and we find he could only find the net once every 2.84 games.

I''m with you Steven, this deal was obviously in the mind of both the board and NW quite a while ago. It was pulled off against the usual competition - Wigan, West Brom etc This lad obviously chose Norwich so let''s get behind him after all he''s committed himself to us unlike others ? (It''s time to let Huckerby go and thank him today for his contribution)
The "fans" who are already questioning this transfer should remember a certain Efan Ekuko, who was bought from the lower leagues -Bournemouth - and had he been available for the whole of the European run well who knows? He also did it at Premiership level.

Good Luck Leon from all the True Fans.