Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Look at Leeds!!! Look at Norwich

We have all heard the "look what spending money did to Leeds" excuse for not opening the purse strings.  Well despite our boards prudent approach as opposed to Leeds overspending the football teams look to be heading on the same course.  Leeds were relegated from the Premiership and 3 seasons later relegated to League one, we were relegated from the Prem 3 seasons ago now and we are bottom of the league.  Seems being prudent might not actually be that prudent.

I said ages ago that being conservative presents just as high a risk as being gung-ho and unless something drastic happens it''s looking as if sadly that may be right.  OK we will not be in administration next season but we could well be in league one which brings a whole new set of financial challenges and then some.  Are our debts "structured" enough to cope with loss of revenue from gate receipts and Tv money yet further?

Very soon fans of clubs will be countering the "look at Leeds" argument with "look what happened to Norwich" unless we pull our finger out.

In my post about the size of our challenge, Saint I refer to this scenario.

If our Board remain of the same mindset they will likely be planning for League 1 finances now.

With our current situation any money spent has to constitute a gamble as we have so much to do in so many areas.

We will only stay up if we are bold and lucky.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

In my post about the size of our challenge, Saint I refer to this scenario.

If our Board remain of the same mindset they will likely be planning for League 1 finances now.

With our current situation any money spent has to constitute a gamble as we have so much to do in so many areas.

We will only stay up if we are bold and lucky.

[/quote]

Fortune favours the brave Rude Old.

Absolutely spot-on. Unfortunately the board don`t have the intellect or basic knowledge of football to realise that showing zero ambition on the pitch is itself a massive gamble, with inherent risk of rising player and fan unrest and freefall on the pitch. It`s basically a downward spiral where negativity and bad feeling grow and feed off each other, but the start of that negativity was the board`s refusal to put decent money into having a good go at promotion when we had parachute payments (and transfer millions) in favour of infrastructure.

"Doing a Leeds" has been a common mantra warning of spending what you can`t afford on the pitch. "Doing a Norwich" could well become one warning of the danger of being too scared to spend money you HAVE got on trying to attain success on the pitch, and watching the club go into freefall as a result.