Sign in to follow this  
Stone

Roeder! I really thought it couldn't get any worse!

Great. Roeder! I''m not going to slate the guy, too many people have already done that (deservedly so, over the entire duration of his managerial career!!). Surely someone with a proven record of managerial failure and underachievement wasn''t what city really required! I assume Jewell wasn''t up for the job, but someone on the up, a Martin Allen or Steve Tilson would''ve at least breathed some new life and ambition through the club. This appointment is truly treadful! The board deserve whatever plight he''ll throw us into! 

they would have been awful. We needed a calming head head with premiership experience . . . and thats what we got. Well done to the board! 

Now Glen Roeder wasn''t my choice for manager and I will admit to feeling disappointment today. But how can Steve Tilson be a better appointment than Roeder? How is getting Southend relegated from the Championship a bigger achievement than what Roeder did at Newcastle?

The only time I can remember us getting a high profile manager is probably Martin O''Neill and he was only just beginning to make his way at Wycombe and was an ex-player which probably swayed it. Oh, and Bruce Rioch, who actually would probably have been OK without the interference of the blarneymeister.

Maybe he actually was the best of those prepared to come?

[quote user="Stone"]

Great. Roeder! I''m not going to slate the guy, too many people have already done that (deservedly so, over the entire duration of his managerial career!!). Surely someone with a proven record of managerial failure and underachievement wasn''t what city really required! .................

[/quote]

If this isn''t a slating I''d be interested to see one ...........

Yeah, alright I wasn''t going to slate him - but I couldn''t help it. You''ll all of seen his shocking record on the home page.

Tilson - massively overachieved getting Southend succesive promotions, and they punched well above their weight in the championship. They''re back in amongst them in league 1 to come up now - and all without their ''star man'' Freddy Eastwood. 

Allen - Single handedly dragged brentford to decent positions in league1, when he left the club fell apart. Halted a club on the slide in MK Dons almost getting them promoted last season.

Guys like that have earnt a chance.

Anyway, That''s my rant over now - I''ll still get behind him on Sunday.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Now Glen Roeder wasn''t my choice for manager and I will admit to feeling disappointment today. But how can Steve Tilson be a better appointment than Roeder? How is getting Southend relegated from the Championship a bigger achievement than what Roeder did at Newcastle?

[/quote]

Didnt Tilson get Southend promoted two seasons on the trot Nutty??  Must be very hard to keep an ex div 2 team in the championship with no money to spend.  How is he getting on this time.

As for Roeder - Relegated talented West Ham and Watford

His Newcastle record: after 3 months of initial success as Souness left, Newcastle slid back down the following year.  I think most any manager was going to have some post Souness success!! [:O]

[quote user="YellowIce"]they would have been awful. We needed a calming head head with premiership experience . . . and thats what we got. Well done to the board! [/quote]

der we arn''t in the prem league we are bottom of the championship. with his record the only way is down.

I''m not being an apologist for the board or looking at things through rose-coloured specs, but you lot are so subjective with the bits of Roeder''s managerial record that you focus on, just picking and choosing the relevant bad bids to back-up your point.

He initially did well at Newcastle and West Ham, from difficult starting points, before being unlucky with injuries (and fairly unlucky personally in having a life-threatening illness!). Overall his record at Newcastle was decent - far better than a lot of his more high profile predecessors.

I don''t know whether he will do well or not, but what''s the point of all this whining pre-judgement? If after he''s had a decent number of games in charge we''re going backwards then fine, the board were wrong. But to claim Tilson et al would have necessarily been any better is just b*******.

[quote]As for Roeder - Relegated talented West Ham and Watford[/quote]Well, he was having a brain tumour at the time that West Ham went down, but don''t let that stop you flaming him.  You mention the 2 relegations from the top flight, but neglect to mention the 2 european qualifications.  [quote]His Newcastle record: after 3 months of initial success as Souness

left, Newcastle slid back down the following year.  I think most any

manager was going to have some post Souness success!![/quote]Replace one excitable Scotsman for another, and you have...If you''ve going to have reservations, make them on the basis of what he does for us, not what he did for others. Have Jewell or Bruce finished as high as 7th in the Premier league ?  Thought not...

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Didnt Tilson get Southend promoted two seasons on the trot Nutty??  Must be very hard to keep an ex div 2 team in the championship with no money to spend.  How is he getting on this time.

As for Roeder - Relegated talented West Ham and Watford

His Newcastle record: after 3 months of initial success as Souness left, Newcastle slid back down the following year.  I think most any manager was going to have some post Souness success!! [:O]

[/quote]

OK  CJF - looks like you are a Tilson fan. I agree that Tilson did well in his 2 promotions with Southend but he couldn''t keep them in the championship. Now if we are relegated and need a manager to get us back up I would imagine his record would make him a good choice.

All my post said was that I couldn''t see where Tilsons achievement in getting Southend relegated was better than what Roeder did at newcastle. You are right to point out (or at least I think you did) that neither is relevent to the position we are in now. Roeder would not have been my choice as you have seen from the posts I have made over the last few weeks. I didn''t want anyone who had a relegation on their CV.

Sometimes I get the feeling that even if you nearly agree with me you still want to start an arguement[*-)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

The only time I can remember us getting a high profile manager is probably Martin O''Neill and he was only just beginning to make his way at Wycombe and was an ex-player which probably swayed it. Oh, and Bruce Rioch, who actually would probably have been OK without the interference of the blarneymeister.

Maybe he actually was the best of those prepared to come?

[/quote] Yes, have to agree Nutty, the only true high calibre manager in recent times has been O''Neill, who during his time with us showed us what we could have - but Chase didn''t take him up on it - I think Rioch too would have been better than Worthington, given the same money and time. Will they get it right finally with Roeder? We have to hope so.