Sign in to follow this  
Robbo007

chances of greeno being england no1 by xmas?

surely after David " I''m crapping myself everytime the ball goes near him" James'' performances in the euro''s it must be claim that england need a keeper who gives confidence to the back for. James is a fantastic athlete but not a great goalkeeper. I feel that Greeno has a fantastic chance of being no1, especially if we play within that first month of the season

Jeez I hope so. I''ve got no respect at all for David James, the waster, and never have had. I''d rather have Clive James or Sid James (dead though he may be) in goal any day. Either of them would have made a better effort at saving that header.

I think I bored my housemates and various mates who came round to watch the England matches when I kept saying ''Greeno would have saved that'' or ''Greeno wouldn''t have punched/flapped at that''...
Didn''t mention though that Greeno is a bit suspectible to the odd penalty though, didn''t think they needed to hear that bit... Sure by the time he''s Englands No. 1 (i.e. Christmas) that he''ll be super-ace at penalty saving, as well as positioning at free-kicks which are being taken by French maestro''s...

He''ll only ever have a chance to be England''s No. 1 while Chris Kirkland is injured. Kirkland is twice the ''keeper Green is, and will be England''s ''keeper for the next ten years.

Again, sorry if I''m being negative, but we have to be realistic at the same time.

Kirkland is the man. If Rafa Benitez offered Kirkland in enchange for Green, every single Norwich fan with their head screwed on straight would take the swap. Let''s be honest about such things.

I think that Greeb is better than Walker, and would have been in the squad bar injury. He also has the potential to be better than James and Robinson, but he is nowhere near the ''keeper Kirkland is / can be.

I know what you mean MG7 but Kirkland is injury prone and Greeno isn''t. I''d rather have a fit Greeno for the whol season than a half fit Kirkland for half a season. But I have to agree with you that a fully fit Kirkland against a fully fit Greeno I''d take Kirkland.

Why would I be joking DD? Kirkland is an amazing ''keeper, and - should he stay injury free - will / should be England''s number one for years to come.

Now don''t get me wrong, I think Green is a really good ''keeper, and should be in the England squad (probably as second or third choice). But Eriksson said today that he is looking forward to including Kirkland in the squad for the Ukraine game in August. He didn''t mention Green.

I think that sometimes our Norwich bias may cloud our judgement of these things. If Green had never played for Norwich, but was (God forbid) an Ipswich player, would you still think he was so much better than Kirkland?

I''m a huge Norwich fan, and love Greeno, but I feel that sometimes on this messageboard we need to be more objective with our judgements and opinions. That, of course, is just my opinion!

OTBC

Sven has already said, since returning from Portugal, that Defoe and Kirkland are in his thoughts for the World Cup qualifiers later on in the year. Now if Greeno could be part of the set-up again I''m sure this would be all he would expect at this stage. He needs several matches in the Prem to establish himself there first, which is what most of you on here are suggesting too. If he does well and Kirkland remains injury-prone then the door may be open.

Fair enough MG7. If you think Kirkland is better then that''s cool. Of course I''m probably biased as I''m a Norwich fan, but I just think Green has such an incredible talent. I obviously haven''t watched Kirkland on a week to week basis like I have Greeno. It''s a shame that Greeno has come along in the same generation as some good young goalkeepers- Robinson, Kirkland etc. Having said that maybe it''ll be a better thing. If we have too many good young English goalkeepers that can only be a good thing!! Now all we need to do is produce some more good young strikers and left sided midfielders. Huckerby anyone!! Joking!

Mr Errikson has said yesterday that he is going to put Kirkland in goal for the Germany 06 Qualifiers which means CALAMITY JAMES is going to be rested for a while, i hope that Greeno can impress enough in the first month of the PREMO

M

i do agree with the fact that james is rubbish but come on sven does has a big problem with adding on and taking people off the starting team. i mean look at david beckham he was not fit and would obviously not play well but still sven could not make himself take him off at least at half time and so he played someone who was destined to faliure and the same with james. this is why sven isn''t very good because he can only choose one team and not add other players to the first team.

also ledley king got his chance because terry was injured and he played his heart out and was excellent one of the best players on the pitch and what more can he do to prove himself huh. but once again as soon as terry was fit he played him and didn''t give king another chance and guess what he played rubbish.

the chances of greeno being number 1 by xmas is very...very...very slim.

and plus he is not good enough. i am sorry he is my favourite norwich city player but come on at least let him work out how to play premiership football and once he is good at that (2 years time) (world cup 2006) then he will be england number 1

We have the obvious opportunity to judge Greeno, just look at the fixture list. Be September we will all know whether he is genuine international standard or not.

I''d love to see Greeno as Englands No1. But lets not get carried away.

Robinson and Kirkland are above in the pecking order as they too are excellent young English keepers, and they''ve both got plenty of premiership experience.

Greeno still has a lot of experience to gain against the top players before he can be considered, and I suspect Calamity James will still be the No1 keeper all the way up to 2006.