Sign in to follow this  
Bernard  Futter

DON"T THESE IDIOTS ASK FOR CVs?

I thought we would be hard placed to find someone with a worse CV than previous Board appointee Bruce Rioch with four sackings out of his previous five managerial roles.

But hey, our great Board have done even better and found someone with a 100% sacking record.

I bet he was awfully polite at the interview and held doors open for all the right people.

So as they will have to give time to this latest clown, I feel that Div 3 in old money is now a virtual certainty.

[quote user="Bernard Futter"]I thought we would be hard placed to find someone with a worse CV than previous Board appointee Bruce Rioch with four sackings out of his previous five managerial roles. But hey, our great Board have done even better and found someone with a 100% sacking record. I bet he was awfully polite at the interview and held doors open for all the right people. So as they will have to give time to this latest clown, I feel that Div 3 in old money is now a virtual certainty.[/quote]

Roeders CV doesn''t read as bad you may think.  Or have you just posted from the hip, do some research mate......

[quote user="jimmy500"]

[quote user="Bernard Futter"]I thought we would be hard placed to find someone with a worse CV than previous Board appointee Bruce Rioch with four sackings out of his previous five managerial roles. But hey, our great Board have done even better and found someone with a 100% sacking record. I bet he was awfully polite at the interview and held doors open for all the right people. So as they will have to give time to this latest clown, I feel that Div 3 in old money is now a virtual certainty.[/quote]

Roeders CV doesn''t read as bad you may think.  Or have you just posted from the hip, do some research mate......

[/quote]

Gillingham 1 year, 23rd but stayed in the football league he then quit.

3 years at Watford 19th 7th then relegated.

2 years at West Ham with a squad including Defoe, James, Carrick, Cole, Bowyer, Sinclair, Di Canio, Schemmell, Ian Pearce, Glen Johnson etc 7th then relegated.

1 season and 3 months at Newcastle, after Souness had lost everybody at the club nevermind the dressing room Roeder in 3 months took them up to 7th, the following season they flitted with relegation finishing 13th but 5 points off relegation zone in an exceedingly disappointing season.

[quote user="jimmy500"]

[/quote]

er jimmy500 you get your facts right first!!

Gillingham - sacked

watford - sacked

west ham - sacked

newcastle - resigned before imminent sacking

and his win ratio isnt too hot either.

Like captains of industry, manager''s are ultimately judged on hard results in which case Roeder''s CV is pretty unimpressive.

The four clubs who dispensed with his services ultimately thought so too.

How is it we ended are clamouring to sign someone with his track record is something perhaps only the Bolton chairman could hazzard a guess at!

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="jimmy500"]

[/quote]

Gillingham 1 year, 23rd but stayed in the football league he then quit. - No answer for this one

3 years at Watford 19th 7th then relegated. - Inherited a struggling side and managed to keep them up, did exceptionally well the following season with the fans and experts agreeing that they probably wildly overachieved.  Relegated following season and sacked (some say fairly, some say harshly, the season of over achievment probably lent itself to this)

2 years at West Ham with a squad including Defoe, James, Carrick, Cole, Bowyer, Sinclair, Di Canio, Schemmell, Ian Pearce, Glen Johnson etc 7th then relegated. - 7th qualification for Europe, Rio Ferdinand and Frank Lampard depart for Leeds and Chelsea (2 best players? arguable).  Lets not forget that some of the star names you are talking about (Johnson, Carrick, Defoe, Cole) were young kids and not the players they are today.  But yes they underperformed.  Midway through that season Roeder collapsed with a brain tumour that required extensive neurosurgery and rehabilitation, Trevor Brooking then tried and failed to keep West Ham up.  Lots of ifs and buts for me that season.

The next season (following a firesale in which pretty much the whole squad was sold) West Ham got off to an indifferent start.  Sacked, Harsh or Fair? 

1 season and 3 months at Newcastle, after Souness had lost everybody at the club nevermind the dressing room Roeder in 3 months took them up to 7th, the following season they flitted with relegation finishing 13th but 5 points off relegation zone in an exceedingly disappointing season.

Did he fail at Newcastle?  The injury problems were well documented for his second season, I am not sure that many managers would have faired much better in the circumstances, especially with the loan restrictions in place in the Premier League.  Win percentage over 50%, 32 wins out of 62 games.  Not bad in my book.

[/quote]

There you go.  All of the above factual and correct, and no I dont have anything better to do. 

I personally am right behind Glen Roeder, I think he could be a half decent appointment.  If the board back him in the loan and transfer market then hopefully he will be a success.

The only major criticism I could find re. Glen Roeder was that some of his transfers left a little to be desired.  Still, we are used to that aren''t we.

[quote user="jimmy500"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="jimmy500"]

[/quote]

Gillingham 1 year, 23rd but stayed in the football league he then quit. - No answer for this one

3 years at Watford 19th 7th then relegated. - Inherited a struggling side and managed to keep them up, did exceptionally well the following season with the fans and experts agreeing that they probably wildly overachieved.  Relegated following season and sacked (some say fairly, some say harshly, the season of over achievment probably lent itself to this)

2 years at West Ham with a squad including Defoe, James, Carrick, Cole, Bowyer, Sinclair, Di Canio, Schemmell, Ian Pearce, Glen Johnson etc 7th then relegated. - 7th qualification for Europe, Rio Ferdinand and Frank Lampard depart for Leeds and Chelsea (2 best players? arguable).  Lets not forget that some of the star names you are talking about (Johnson, Carrick, Defoe, Cole) were young kids and not the players they are today.  But yes they underperformed.  Midway through that season Roeder collapsed with a brain tumour that required extensive neurosurgery and rehabilitation, Trevor Brooking then tried and failed to keep West Ham up.  Lots of ifs and buts for me that season.

The next season (following a firesale in which pretty much the whole squad was sold) West Ham got off to an indifferent start.  Sacked, Harsh or Fair? 

Did he fail at Newcastle?  The injury problems were well documented for his second season, I am not sure that many managers would have faired much better in the circumstances, especially with the loan restrictions in place in the Premier League.  Win percentage over 50%, 32 wins out of 62 games.  Not bad in my book.

[/quote]

There you go.  All of the above factual and correct, and no I dont have anything better to do. 

I personally am right behind Glen Roeder, I think he could be a half decent appointment.  If the board back him in the loan and transfer market then hopefully he will be a success.

The only major criticism I could find re. Glen Roeder was that some of his transfers left a little to be desired.  Still, we are used to that aren''t we.

[/quote]

Watford - unfairly sacked after 3 seasons in the same league the 3rd of which resulted in relegation??  Pardon me??

Newcastle  - 11 of his prem wins came in his 3 months after Souness left.  he managed another 11 the entire following season.  Lots of his wins were Intertoobob cup.

West Ham - Rio and Lampard left before he took charge.  He did very well to get them 7th but relegated them the following season.  unfair to be sacked?  Getting that side relegated - I think not....

In my opinion, he is a good short term fix.  In the long run, no doubt he will keep his job through season after season of mediocrity or relegation cos - ''he kept us up''.

[quote user="Steelsilver"]The bookies just tripled the odds against us staying up :( how often are they wrong![/quote] They were about Paul Jewell

It seems as though Roeder''s career thus far is similar to the month of March....

In like a lion, out like a lamb.

He might well save us from the drop this season, but next season will see us relegated for sure.

Moan, Moan, Moan

yap yap yap

Give the guy a chance!!! We''ll get knowhere if the fans get on his back from minute one, everyone deserves a chance, like him or not.

[quote user="jimmy500"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="jimmy500"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]50% win percentage will keep us up this season.I will be over the moon if he can do that.I think it''s about time people realized the board isn''t going to change its mind.Its just a shame a minority can spoil this forum for the rest of us

Yes he got 45% with NEWCASTLE though not norwich. Norwich have got worse squads then half the league anyways so divide that by ten and you''ll be closer to the win % we''ll actually get this season.

OK money where mouth is time.  If you thing we''ll win 4.5% of our remaining games (I''ll be kind and round it up to make that 2 games) then I''ll take a bet.  If you don''t fancy it shut up and try to put as much passion behind the team as you do into running it down.