Sign in to follow this  
Cluck

Re: Ron Davies [thread split from pinned post]

No disrespect to Ron...but he''s had the money and lost it.

I''d far rather give to one of our lads/lasses in the forces who have lost a limb or their eyesight in defending this country. It''s all about priorities unfortunately.......

[quote user="NEIL CLUCKCASTER"]

I''d far rather give to one of our lads/lasses in the forces who have lost a limb or their eyesight in defending this country. It''s all about priorities unfortunately.......

[/quote]

This is one of the most pathetic, spiteful posts it has been my misfortune to read on this forum.

Your idiotic remarks may have had some value in the context of todays overpaid, overblown, overated players but even top performers in Ron''s day did not earn kings ransoms to compensate for their short careers.

How many of the current crop of Premier League prima donnas will need to sustain their careers in the lower leagues and then find a pub, newsagents or sports equipment shop to run?

I feel priviledged to have watched this prince of centre forwards in the yellow no 9 shirt and will be contributing on the basis that I am indebted to him, rather than the other way around.

I''m sure that others who actually saw him play for City will think the same.

[/quote]

100% behind you Cluckster!, ''kipper'' gave me many fine City memories and yes, he was well paid for it too, unlike many of our fine lads risking their lives daily for our benefit and safety.

Thats where our priority should be........................not a footballer, sorry.

as a member of the armed forces, i have to agree with you wiz. i have many friends who are or have been to the gulf and are putting lives on the line for not as much as footballers earn in a day.  Davies had the money and should have saved some.

[quote user="baldyboy"]as a member of the armed forces, i have to agree with you wiz. i have many friends who are or have been to the gulf and are putting lives on the line for not as much as footballers earn in a day.  Davies had the money and should have saved some.[/quote]I didn''t realise conscription had been brought back.....

This thread now shows up how bitter and twisted posters have become about everything to do with our great football club. What is the point of Cluck, Wiz and Baldyboys ascertations that Ron Davies is a waster. Surely there is no need for it.

I would rather give my money to E.A.C.H. which is the charity I support and help raise money for. But it''s nice to have the choice to contribute to the Ron Davies fund if I want to.

What is it just lately with posters on here suggesting how we should spend our money?

"Only me![8-|] .... You don''t wanna do it like that... there are for more deserving cases than an ex-footballer who has wasted his money... you wanna be supporting ex-servicemen who have lost a limb or eyesight or fallen on hard times... you don''t wanna be going to watch Norwich.. you wanna be going to see Kings Lynn or other local teams instead... Renewed your season ticket? .. You really did NOT wanna do that!"

If the ''bitter, smug, self-satisfied mob'' had done their homework, they may just have spotted that Ron Davies was making his way as a tiler and had to give up due to a bad hip caused by the fantastic leaping ability he demonstrated during his playing days on our joint behalfs.

Servicemen (who also get paid and do the job of their own volition) are on the merits of the case, equally deserving of our generosity.

Why does it have to be either or?

Thank you NN for pointing this out and I am genuinely pleased to be in a position to make a small contribution to help someone who brightened up my teen years and was a genuine hero...

I even remember enduring a torrid Fulham v Portsmouth game at the very tail end of Ron''s career to pay my respects to the great man.

[quote user="Bernard Futter"]If the ''bitter, smug, self-satisfied mob'' had done their homework, they may just have spotted that Ron Davies was making his way as a tiler and had to give up due to a bad hip caused by the fantastic leaping ability he demonstrated during his playing days on our joint behalfs. Servicemen (who also get paid and do the job of their own volition) are on the merits of the case, equally deserving of our generosity. Why does it have to be either or? Thank you NN for pointing this out and I am genuinely pleased to be in a position to make a small contribution to help someone who brightened up my teen years and was a genuine hero... I even remember enduring a torrid Fulham v Portsmouth game at the very tail end of Ron''s career to pay my respects to the great man.[/quote]

Oh dear what a pity never mind.....

If you think a retired footballer deserves a penny more than our disabled service men/women.......then I suggest your priorites are sadly awry.  Sad that our guys are held in so little regard by those who live their lives safely because of them.

Shame on you.....

[quote user="Bernard Futter"]If the ''bitter, smug, self-satisfied mob'' had done their homework, they may just have spotted that Ron Davies was making his way as a tiler and had to give up due to a bad hip caused by the fantastic leaping ability he demonstrated during his playing days on our joint behalfs. Servicemen (who also get paid and do the job of their own volition) are on the merits of the case, equally deserving of our generosity. Why does it have to be either or? Thank you NN for pointing this out and I am genuinely pleased to be in a position to make a small contribution to help someone who brightened up my teen years and was a genuine hero... I even remember enduring a torrid Fulham v Portsmouth game at the very tail end of Ron''s career to pay my respects to the great man.[/quote]

Oh dear what a pity never mind.....

If you think a retired footballer deserves a penny more than our disabled service men/women.......then I suggest your priorites are sadly awry.  Sad that our guys are held in so little regard by those who live their lives safely because of them.

Shame on you.....

[/quote]Safely? What a sheep.

I have not attacked ''Kipper'' Nutty, or to anyone else come to that

I just said that  my money will go to far worthier causes then helping out one solitary footballer.

If  none of you can handle that......................tough!.[:|]

Cluck, why post what you did? It''s like me saying i''m not donating cash to any of the armed forces because i''d rather give it to famine victims in Africa...Afterall they''ve not had the money that British servicemen have had.

I usually laugh at your posts, but i think you''re believing your own hype nowadays...Sort it out!

I make no apology for bringing in a reality check to another ludicrously over emotional matter. Fair enough if others disagree...but such over reaction speaks volumes.

Firstly...with so much  money slushing around in the game these days....is it not obscene that joe ordinary is asked to put his hand into his pocket yet again?  This is a matter for the Professional Footballers Association...not fans of a club where he stayed for a relatively short time before moving on to Southampton....the club he stated on BBC''s South Today last Friday as the place which "had the best fans".  Take a look at the PFA who rake in millions from a game Davies helped make so popular...and you will see £10 million spent on a Lowry painting alone...plus many tens of thousands on other football memorabilia to "pretty up" their offices and their Football Museum.

The point is...football should look after their own and half an hours pay from any major Premiership player would get him what he needs, and some. He also chose to turn his back on the country and make a new life abroad....whereas if he had stayed here it would have been done for free. You can''t have your cake and eat it in life I''m afraid.

So...knee jerks to this opinion just shows how far out of touch some people are....and how they allow their emotional attachments to cloud their logic. If you''ve got a few quid...there''s an old nurse I know who gave a whole career to tending the sick on next to no pay and finds herself unable to walk or get out of her tiny flat....but then she didn''t score goals or draw cartoons like Davies did she?

Say what you like.... charity begins at home and there are many more needy cases here than RD in the US I''m afraid.

Yeh sorry... im also not overly sympathetic.If you lot fancy a fund raiser how about trying to fire up some fan support for our current situation ?

This thread demonstrates why the Tories who have the best economic policies are unlikely ever again to be the natural party to rule this country. Labour for all their many faults have a heart. That''s why the good people of this wonderful country threw Churchill out on his backside after leading the victory in  WW2.

I think that a lot of the sour over-reaction on this thread has to do with the proximity of ''Poppy Day''.

And, alas, some people are spouting poppycock.

Some people would like to help out ann old friend - that''s all. And we don''t need the overpaid failures representing our club these days to condesend to what they don''t understand, and write a cheque. No Sir. 

One love.

OTBC

I make no apology for bringing in a reality check to another ludicrously over emotional matter. Fair enough if others disagree...but such over reaction speaks volumes.

Firstly...with so much  money slushing around in the game these days....is it not obscene that joe ordinary is asked to put his hand into his pocket yet again?  This is a matter for the Professional Footballers Association...not fans of a club where he stayed for a relatively short time before moving on to Southampton....the club he stated on BBC''s South Today last Friday as the place which "had the best fans".  Take a look at the PFA who rake in millions from a game Davies helped make so popular...and you will see £10 million spent on a Lowry painting alone...plus many tens of thousands on other football memorabilia to "pretty up" their offices and their Football Museum.

The point is...football should look after their own and half an hours pay from any major Premiership player would get him what he needs, and some. He also chose to turn his back on the country and make a new life abroad....whereas if he had stayed here it would have been done for free. You can''t have your cake and eat it in life I''m afraid.

So...knee jerks to this opinion just shows how far out of touch some people are....and how they allow their emotional attachments to cloud their logic. If you''ve got a few quid...there''s an old nurse I know who gave a whole career to tending the sick on next to no pay and finds herself unable to walk or get out of her tiny flat....but then she didn''t score goals or draw cartoons like Davies did she?

Say what you like.... charity begins at home and there are many more needy cases here than RD in the US I''m afraid.

[/quote]

Now Cluck you are such a lovely ,,,Well you know how i feel about you with out me going on about how sweet you are .

Now i am intrigued by this old nurse of yours who was paid next to nothing , surely she has a case to take to the N H S administration for unfair pay .I can''t see you putting up with this injustice for one minute Cluck so please keep us up to date how you are getting on with it and if i can help in any way i would be more than pleased . Thank goodness she never turned her back on this country ,as she can get all her treatment free . well done Cluck .arrdee.

Surprise, surprise: two of the posters who don''t want to help Ron

Davies are also two of the posters who continually write the most

hyperbolic, hysterical trash. Yes, many many people all over the world

are just as deserving of help; yes, today''s footballers and especially

the ridiculous PFA should certainly be doing more: a lot more.

But the poverty of spirit both have displayed towards one of our own

entirely sums them up. Was Davies playing at a time when footballers

earned a decent wage? No: none of them did. So much so that George

Cohen, World Cup hero and as dignified a gentleman as you could ever

wish to meet, had to auction off all his medals a few years back! The

way all footballers of Ron''s generation have suffered in the years

following their retirement is a disgrace, as is the attitude displayed

towards him by said two posters. Tell me Cluck: what''s it like to have

nothing good to say about anybody, be devoid of generosity or

compassion, and to quite plainly be full of hate for anything and

everything?

[quote user="Shaun Lawson"]Surprise, surprise: two of the posters who don''t want to help Ron Davies are also two of the posters who continually write the most hyperbolic, hysterical trash. Yes, many many people all over the world are just as deserving of help; yes, today''s footballers and especially the ridiculous PFA should certainly be doing more: a lot more.

But the poverty of spirit both have displayed towards one of our own entirely sums them up. Was Davies playing at a time when footballers earned a decent wage? No: none of them did. So much so that George Cohen, World Cup hero and as dignified a gentleman as you could ever wish to meet, had to auction off all his medals a few years back! The way all footballers of Ron''s generation have suffered in the years following their retirement is a disgrace, as is the attitude displayed towards him by said two posters. Tell me Cluck: what''s it like to have nothing good to say about anybody, be devoid of generosity or compassion, and to quite plainly be full of hate for anything and everything?

[/quote]

Based on his two posts today alone, I want Shaun Lawson to be the new Norwich manager!

If Cluck wishes to voice his opinion that he will not contribute to such a fund then so be it, it is his right to do so. Likewise if I do not wish to contribute to a charity for the armed forces, who in the last few years have increased the chances of some nutter deciding to waltz on to my bus with a bomb strapped to him, that is my choice. I''m sure Cluck won''t be offended by my words, it is only my opinion after all.

[quote user="Shaun Lawson"]Surprise, surprise: two of the posters who don''t want to help Ron Davies are also two of the posters who continually write the most hyperbolic, hysterical trash. Yes, many many people all over the world are just as deserving of help; yes, today''s footballers and especially the ridiculous PFA should certainly be doing more: a lot more.

But the poverty of spirit both have displayed towards one of our own entirely sums them up. Was Davies playing at a time when footballers earned a decent wage? No: none of them did. So much so that George Cohen, World Cup hero and as dignified a gentleman as you could ever wish to meet, had to auction off all his medals a few years back! The way all footballers of Ron''s generation have suffered in the years following their retirement is a disgrace, as is the attitude displayed towards him by said two posters. Tell me Cluck: what''s it like to have nothing good to say about anybody, be devoid of generosity or compassion, and to quite plainly be full of hate for anything and everything?

[/quote]

Over emotional claptrap as usual....and the same sort of misplaced loyalty that has kept Smith on her throne for so long. What next I wonder....a hair transplant collection for Bobby Charlton?

Firstly George Cohen did not HAVE to sell his medal...it was sold while the market for such memorabilia was on a high and has subsidised a pension many of us would give our right hands for. Add to that the fact that he has run a successful business since retiring and made plenty of money on the old "World Cup Winners" treadmill and after dinner speeches. Hurst sold his...Ball sold his etc....because it made them a tidy sum...and to quote "poverty" is laughable. They are wealthy men and the average footballer in the 1960''s earnt a very good wage compared to the average man on the street. If we fail to save for that "rainy day" we must expect to get wet.

As for the "poor old footballers"? What about "poor old miners"...."poor old fishermen"...."poor old agricultural workers" etc etc. I guess their fault was not having scored a few goals and enjoyed fame and fortune during their working lives to avoid real poverty.....Their claim is every bit as valid as a retired footballer...infact much more so.

As for being "devoid of compassion".....I find this truly laughable. I help those who really need it..not those who have had their chance and wasted it. If I told you how much I have directed towards those less well off than me over the past 20 years you would be less vocal...but then I don''t do it for recognition nor to keep my conscience clear...I do it because those people deserved recognition....including the elderly nurse I mentioned who gave her care and love to help others over many years.

The ridiculous knee jerk reaction to a valid point made sums up the mentality of so many people today...and how a little bit of fame and celebrity seemingly over-rides the genuine need of the ordinary.

[quote user="Shaun Lawson"]Surprise, surprise: two of the posters who don''t want to help Ron Davies are also two of the posters who continually write the most hyperbolic, hysterical trash. Yes, many many people all over the world are just as deserving of help; yes, today''s footballers and especially the ridiculous PFA should certainly be doing more: a lot more.But the poverty of spirit both have displayed towards one of our own entirely sums them up. Was Davies playing at a time when footballers earned a decent wage? No: none of them did. So much so that George Cohen, World Cup hero and as dignified a gentleman as you could ever wish to meet, had to auction off all his medals a few years back! The way all footballers of Ron''s generation have suffered in the years following their retirement is a disgrace, as is the attitude displayed towards him by said two posters. Tell me Cluck: what''s it like to have nothing good to say about anybody, be devoid of generosity or compassion, and to quite plainly be full of hate for anything and everything?[/quote]

Over emotional claptrap as usual....and the same sort of misplaced loyalty that has kept Smith on her throne for so long. What next I wonder....a hair transplant collection for Bobby Charlton?

Firstly George Cohen did not HAVE to sell his medal...it was sold while the market for such memorabilia was on a high and has subsidised a pension many of us would give our right hands for. Add to that the fact that he has run a successful business since retiring and made plenty of money on the old "World Cup Winners" treadmill and after dinner speeches. Hurst sold his...Ball sold his etc....because it made them a tidy sum...and to quote "poverty" is laughable. They are wealthy men and the average footballer in the 1960''s earnt a very good wage compared to the average man on the street. If we fail to save for that "rainy day" we must expect to get wet.

As for the "poor old footballers"? What about "poor old miners"...."poor old fishermen"...."poor old agricultural workers" etc etc. I guess their fault was not having scored a few goals and enjoyed fame and fortune during their working lives to avoid real poverty.....Their claim is every bit as valid as a retired footballer...infact much more so.

As for being "devoid of compassion".....I find this truly laughable. I help those who really need it..not those who have had their chance and wasted it. If I told you how much I have directed towards those less well off than me over the past 20 years you would be less vocal...but then I don''t do it for recognition nor to keep my conscience clear...I do it because those people deserved recognition....including the elderly nurse I mentioned who gave her care and love to help others over many years.

The ridiculous knee jerk reaction to a valid point made sums up the mentality of so many people today...and how a little bit of fame and celebrity seemingly over-rides the genuine need of the ordinary.

[/quote]Blah blah blah. More tripe as per usual. Nice post Shaun Lawson.

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="NEIL CLUCKCASTER"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Blah blah blah. More tripe as per usual. Excellent post Neil Cluckcaster....you''re the best!     [Y]
[/quote]

Glad you agree with me Smellas....and certainly no offence taken Shack....

It''s ONLY an opinion folks....and I''m not for one minute suggesting sanctions should be imposed against him! Deary deary me....

how the hell have the armed forces forced some nutter to waltz onto a bus with a bomb? do you think i chose to go to the GULF twice? or maybe that the Government sent me there! you wouldnt want the Armed Forces to defend this nation then Shack attack if it were invaded. you are out of order mate, many of us dont want to go the biggest S**thole in the world but we have to as its part of the job!

''Opinions are like arseholes........everybody has one.''

And your opinion on this occasion is that of an arsehole, Shack Attack.

If you feel so strongly against the armed forces, may I suggest that you go live in a neutral country such as Ireland or Switzerland.

Better still, go to Cambodia it''s further away.

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="baldyboy"]as a member of the armed forces, i have to agree with you wiz. i have many friends who are or have been to the gulf and are putting lives on the line for not as much as footballers earn in a day.  Davies had the money and should have saved some.[/quote]

I didn''t realise conscription had been brought back.....

[/quote]

It bloody well ought to be brought back - especially for illegal immigrants who have no intentions of finding work and who usually wind up in one of the numerous over-crowded prisons at the expense of the tax-payer.

National Service should also brought back for the vast numbers of lost souls that are teenagers in this country.

[quote user="Shyster"]

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="baldyboy"]as a member of the armed forces, i have to agree with you wiz. i have many friends who are or have been to the gulf and are putting lives on the line for not as much as footballers earn in a day.  Davies had the money and should have saved some.[/quote]

[/quote]

It bloody well ought to be brought back - especially for illegal immigrants who have no intentions of finding work and who usually wind up in one of the numerous over-crowded prisons at the expense of the tax-payer.

National Service should also brought back for the vast numbers of lost souls that are teenagers in this country.

[/quote]

Great! Just when I thought it couldn''t get any worse being a City fan, now I find that I''m utterly ashamed to be associated with some of my ''fellow'' fans - what a load of mindless, xenophobic drivel.  

[quote user="baldyboy"]how the hell have the armed forces forced some nutter to waltz onto a bus with a bomb? do you think i chose to go to the GULF twice? or maybe that the Government sent me there! you wouldnt want the Armed Forces to defend this nation then Shack attack if it were invaded. you are out of order mate, many of us dont want to go the biggest S**thole in the world but we have to as its part of the job![/quote]

You certainly have a point but I can''t help thinking that your anger would be better directed at Blair/Bush etc etc than some old boy with a knackered hip or a poster on a football forum.

[quote user="Shyster"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Quite how Ron Davies and illegal immigrants end up on the same thread escapes me...........

Sorry to be picky but conscription only applies to a countries own citizens so I doubt people who are here illegally quite fit the bill. To be fair though I think the jury''s out regarding the '' lost souls ''......