Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

THE SIZE OF THE TASK!

Thirteen games into a 46 game season we sit adrift at the bottom of the league with two goals in eight games; one point in eight games; four losses on the spin and no win since 15th September. I have not included the Carling Cup.

We have been managerless for over two weeks and names keep dropping out.

We have been without a first team coach all season.

There is no sign of direction from the Board.

The players are punch drunk, demoralised and unsettled.

Supporters are tearing the paint of the walls and for many there is an acceptance of relegation akin to when the early second goal went in at Fulham: we are just playing out the rest of the match in acceptance of our fate; or in this case, the season.

When I look at what games are coming up I surmise the following:

I would take a draw against Ipswich now but expect to lose to Watford a few days later. I expect nothing from Plymouth but hope for a rare win against Coventry. I hope for a draw at Blackpool or Stoke but cannot see a win so one point from those two and five from the next six games where, like today, we play some form teams.

That, boys and girls, is 19 games gone, hopefully a new manager will be in place and we play two ''absolute must win'' home games on  the spin. We will likely go into those games with 13 points and face 27 games (14 home and 13 away) from which we must accumilate 37 points to avoid relegation.

By that time, with 13 points we will have averaged 0.68 points per game. We will need to begin picking up 1.37 or twice the rate of the season to date, infact 1.37 points per game over a full season would give you 63 points; enough for 11th and 8th position in the past two seasons and better than we managed in either (62 in 2005/6).

In other words: Norwich City are NOW going to have to play better than they did for the past two seasons just to avoid relegation!

It seems to me our Board have two decisions to make.

1). Invest money in the hope it will secure the avoidance of relegation, but risk the financial future of the Club with relegation.

2). Baton down the hatches, take the flak, accept and budget for relegation to protect the financial future of the Club and hope for a miracle.

Where does a new Manager enter into all this?

Again there are two choices:

1). Get in a manager who will demand cash for players to improve the squad with loans and January signings but who will likely jump ship with relegation or be on a release clause.

2). Get in a manager you intend to keep after relegation (as Leeds did) and give him time to manage in League One.

Things are so bad and history so damning I strongly suspect the Board of NCFC to tough it out to relegation. The supporters expectations are already so lowered and their acceptance of relegation so common things are unlikely to deteriorate significantly on that front.

There are players who could be sold, like Marshall or Drury and others who can be released; like Dublin and Huckerby a squad costed for League One is viable.

It is likely, in League One, if sucessful on the pitch :-) crowds of 18,000 and a season ticket base of 14,000 are acheivable.

The Board have put themselves into a situation where they have to gamble and I don''t see our Board as gamblers.

But you never know..............................???!!!

No comments then?

Well, this is the last time I''ll post a thoughtful, original and legitimate thread; it''s back to the Sun style headlines; provocative to insulting repostes; multi-threading instead of posting and one line Cluck style put downs.

Er.........Delia''s a ***......Parkinson stay away you t*sser......bring back Chase -  he was great.....Chairman Mumbles...Dungcaster....spew....bile....spit.....snarl.....snore!

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

No comments then?

Well, this is the last time I''ll post a thoughtful, original and legitimate thread; it''s back to the Sun style headlines; provocative to insulting repostes; multi-threading instead of posting and one line Cluck style put downs.

Er.........Delia''s a ***......Parkinson stay away you t*sser......bring back Chase -  he was great.....Chairman Mumbles...Dungcaster....spew....bile....spit.....snarl.....snore!

[/quote] Sadly Rudolph it is all down to when you put your post on the board as to whether you get any responses.  Like you I have posted what I consider to be thought provoking lines only to find no views and no replies.  If your post disappears onto page two quite quickly then the majority don''t look further than page one.

As a footnote I agree with most of your thoughts, and I have posted today re next Sunday''s game, but my timing for any replies maybe bad.

Thirteen games into a 46 game season we sit adrift at the bottom of the league with two goals in eight games; one point in eight games; four losses on the spin and no win since 15th September. I have not included the Carling Cup.

Supporters are tearing the paint of the walls and for many there is an acceptance of relegation akin to when the early second goal went in at Fulham: we are just playing out the rest of the match in acceptance of our fate; or in this case, the season.

I would take a draw against Ipswich now but expect to lose to Watford a few days later. I expect nothing from Plymouth but hope for a rare win against Coventry. I hope for a draw at Blackpool or Stoke but cannot see a win so one point from those two and five from the next six games where, like today, we play some form teams.

That, boys and girls, is 19 games gone, hopefully a new manager will be in place and we play two ''absolute must win'' home games on  the spin. We will likely go into those games with 13 points and face 27 games (14 home and 13 away) from which we must accumilate 37 points to avoid relegation.

By that time, with 13 points we will have averaged 0.68 points per game. We will need to begin picking up 1.37 or twice the rate of the season to date, infact 1.37 points per game over a full season would give you 63 points; enough for 11th and 8th position in the past two seasons and better than we managed in either (62 in 2005/6).

In other words: Norwich City are NOW going to have to play better than they did for the past two seasons just to avoid relegation!

1). Invest money in the hope it will secure the avoidance of relegation, but risk the financial future of the Club with relegation.

2). Baton down the hatches, take the flak, accept and budget for relegation to protect the financial future of the Club and hope for a miracle.

1). Get in a manager who will demand cash for players to improve the squad with loans and January signings but who will likely jump ship with relegation or be on a release clause.

2). Get in a manager you intend to keep after relegation (as Leeds did) and give him time to manage in League One.

Things are so bad and history so damning I strongly suspect the Board of NCFC to tough it out to relegation. The supporters expectations are already so lowered and their acceptance of relegation so common things are unlikely to deteriorate significantly on that front.

There are players who could be sold, like Marshall or Drury and others who can be released; like Dublin and Huckerby a squad costed for League One is viable.

It is likely, in League One, if sucessful on the pitch :-) crowds of 18,000 and a season ticket base of 14,000 are acheivable.

The Board have put themselves into a situation where they have to gamble and I don''t see our Board as gamblers.

[/quote]Worse case senario yes,Thing is though if we get the right man in and we stay up we will have had to play the best post christmas football ever(not including promotion season).This will create full houses and plenty of renewals for next season.Your figures about points per game that will be needed indicates we will have to go on the kind of winning streak we could only ever dream of at the moment.This all points to the board having to make the most important decision in norwich''s history,Do we trust them to make the right decision

Imo i think they will take the cheap option and we are doomed to div 1 for a few years

RUDOLPH HUCKER wrote[quote]

But you never know..............................???!!![/quote]

Interesting thought provoking post

Maybe people are just sick to death of the whole scenario and cant really just be bothered anymore.  We have had posting after posting about who is to blame what the board should do and who we should get in as manager.  To be honest I am for one just cheesed off with the whole thing and am just sitting back awaiting the new manager and just see what happens from there. Whoever the manager is people will still post saying how he is rubbish and they should have got this that or whoever so in my view there is not a winning solution that will suit everyone.  Lets face it we have had some good names on here only to be slagged off by posters and we dont even know if they have ben interviewed.  Its like those people that say Delia should sell up - I am sure she would but who would buy this heap of trash - I know I would''nt so unless there is someone there to buy then it seems to me that they dont have a lot of choice but carry on. 

I don''t understand how Bomber wrote his post at 8.56 Pm when I am 7hrsahead in Western Australia and its 11.15 pm with me now! Anyway I don''t have a problem with the size of the task. I have just solved a huge one in selling my car in preparation for my return to Norwich. Prepared to take it to the wreckers so that I can catch the plane and some guy calls an hour ago and buys it in the middle of the night so to speak. There is always a chance. Norwich will find the right manager and stay up.... I just know they will. Its like little old England winning the 2nd World War... no one gave us a chance and then the Yanks came in on our side. Something will turn up through the Boards muddling . I just know it will. Delia ,Wynn Jones, Munby are nice people... something good will happen... you see.

[/quote]

Well it''s far better it''s happening now than with 13 games of the season left. We still have plenty of time to turn things around, and there''s always the possibilty of a club being docked 10 points for administration (hopefully not us..).

Option 1 - if it is really investment then it won''t risk the future of the club, just the money of the investor. Risking the club would be if the board succombed to pressure and took out more loans to get new players in.

Option 2 - we are managerless at the moment, but a new manager, 2-3 loan signings, and a couple of wins and the need for a miracle seems less likely.

What a lovely bottom you have Mr Hucker.  As to your well thought out post, well who knows....

[/quote]

As I initially wrote:

It all sounds depressingly familiar today at Plymouth where we seem to have no grip whatsoever on the game.

Roeder needs new players in; it is not yet too late but he must find a win at home to Coventry (anything today is a bonus) after the international break and must have a stronger side in place for the two must win home games against Plymouth and Sheffield.

If we have not begun to turn it round by then I cannot see any chance of avoiding relegation and have to use all my remaining optimism to see any chance of doing so now.

I wonder if Roeder REALLY knew what he was letting himself in for. If we are relagated I hope he is kept on as we will need to re-build the Club with youth.

Sat Nov 24Coventry City

H

Tue Nov 27Blackpool (7.45pm)

A

Sat Dec 1Stoke City

A

Tue Dec 4Plymouth Argyle (7.45pm)

H

Sat Dec 8Sheffield United

H

So, we came into tonight''s game two points up on 15 points thanks to a win at Blackpool.

We still need to go some so let''s keep our feet on the ground shall we?

Tonight''s home win buys us another defeat in effect and we need to win on Saturday and keep winning.

There is a long way to go yet plus the merry go round of loans and transfers.

Our predicament was so bad it will take a big run of results to put us in any sort of comfort zone.