Sign in to follow this  
Mello Yello

THE WATFORD WAY......

Lets nick Adie Boothroyd!

Why oh why did we let him go, he''d have been the natural replacement for Worthy!

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Now, (in hindsight) why couldn''t we have done it their way?

[/quote]

Err... Mello.... they haven''t done it yet. Football is a funny game.

I''m sure that when Watford appointed him their fans were a bit concerned about his lack of managerial experience.  Norwich were probaly hoping that Grant would have the same effect. Oh well.

Well, when he went for the Watford interview he was asked where he saw Watford and he replied "in the Premiership", and the board wet themselves laughing.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

Watford don''t have a Delia Smith to contend with do they?.....so credibility for them was never an issue for them......

Mind you....I suppose we could try switching to yellow shirts and see how it works out.........

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I bet you a Hershey bar (with almonds) and will scoff Elton ''tubster'' John''s syrup (without almonds) if they don''t. 

Watford''s Gap will increase, and they''ll win promotion from the Chumpionship. Dead Cert!

I`ve been talking to a Watford fan today funnily enough and yes, it just says it all that a smaller club can really go for it whilst little old Norwich just gave up. They sold Young for £9million but other than that kept hold of a squad which performed reasonably well in the Prem and have actually spent some £7million to bolster it further. Compare that to our "efforts" at strengthening when we came down and sold Francis,Jonsson and Ashton for £10million. The bloke i was chatting to reckons alot of the new signings have failed to deliver but it seems to be bringing the best out of other squad members.

And Yankee, of course it could all go t*ts up for them but the point is at least they are giving it a real go, players and fans are united and happy and they will probably strengthen even further in Jan. We, on the other hand, just lamely gave up.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]I remember Worthy himself was really unhappy when he was allowed to leave.[/quote]Didn''t Worthy want to promote him onto his backroom staff and get him working with the first team? If I recall they turned him down, let him leave for WBA and a similar job there. Instead we got Webb in, a chum of good ol'' delia and munby.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

I`ve been talking to a Watford fan today funnily enough and yes, it just says it all that a smaller club can really go for it whilst little old Norwich just gave up. They sold Young for £9million but other than that kept hold of a squad which performed reasonably well in the Prem and have actually spent some £7million to bolster it further. Compare that to our "efforts" at strengthening when we came down and sold Francis,Jonsson and Ashton for £10million. The bloke i was chatting to reckons alot of the new signings have failed to deliver but it seems to be bringing the best out of other squad members.

And Yankee, of course it could all go t*ts up for them but the point is at least they are giving it a real go, players and fans are united and happy and they will probably strengthen even further in Jan. We, on the other hand, just lamely gave up.

[/quote]

Yes Mr. Carrow, I agree it does appear that all is united on the Watford front and they are giving it a real go. Sometimes the stars line up the right way in life and sometimes they don''t. I''ll bet some of their fans were looking our way in 2003/04 when we were promoted and they missed relegation from the Championship by 6 points. The following season they missed being relegated by only two points. I''m sure when they were promoted to the Premiership the following season their fans were as suprised as some of us were in 03/04 at how we seemed to sweep the division even though, on paper, you would have hardly put big money on it. As I said, football is a funny old game. 

[quote user="Fellas"]

Didn''t Worthy want to promote him onto his backroom staff and get him working with the first team? If I recall they turned him down, let him leave for WBA and a similar job there. Instead we got Webb in, a chum of good ol'' delia and munby.
[/quote]

I don''t think Keith Webb was anything to do with Delia and Mumby! Webby could "outstay" my mother-in-law Fellas [;)]

He was at the club over 25 years and worked under every single manager from Ken Brown to Peter Grant. He came in for a lot of flak on here in the last couple of years but he must have been good at his job.

Ade Boothroyd replaced Keith Webb as youth team coach and stayed a couple of years before leaving to join WBA. From what I remember at the time Worthy didn''t want him to go. I also remember Boothroyd saying how much interest Nigel Worthington took in the youth players at the time. Shhhhhh... don''t tell anyone though [:#]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

Yes Mr. Carrow, I agree it does appear that all is united on the Watford front and they are giving it a real go. Sometimes the stars line up the right way in life and sometimes they don''t. I''ll bet some of their fans were looking our way in 2003/04 when we were promoted and they missed relegation from the Championship by 6 points. The following season they missed being relegated by only two points. I''m sure when they were promoted to the Premiership the following season their fans were as suprised as some of us were in 03/04 at how we seemed to sweep the division even though, on paper, you would have hardly put big money on it. As I said, football is a funny old game. 

[/quote]

Sorry Yankee but it`s got nothing to do with stars lining up right. Their reaction to relegation was to sign McAnuff and Ellington for £6million (and one or two others) to bolster an already decent squad, ours was to sell Francis, Jonsson, Helveg and Svensson for £3.5million and spend £750k on Hughes, Thorne, Jarrett and Colin. My mate says that none of their best players want to leave because they feel part of a clearly ambitious, forward-thinking club on the way up. Since relegation we have been the exact opposite of this.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

Would we have accepted the first part of "The Watford Way" though? They somehow managed to spend even less than us in their one season in The Premiership and never once looked like staying up (to say they performed reasonably well might be construed as ''spin'' by some [:P]). At least we gave it a bit of a go in the second half of the season, they were doomed before the end of the January sales!

I think they also sold Bouazza to Fulham after relegation as well and I can''t recall too much transfer speculation surrounding the rest of their players. The way they''ve gone about their business this season makes them look super ambitious compared to our pitiful efforts but if you look at the bigger picture they never even tried to stay in The Premiership.

What''s been allowed to happen in the two and a bit seasons since our relegation from The Premiership is nothing short of a disgrace but I don''t think we would have accepted the type of meek surrender showed by Watford after their promotion.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Fellas"]

Didn''t Worthy want to promote him onto his backroom staff and get him working with the first team? If I recall they turned him down, let him leave for WBA and a similar job there. Instead we got Webb in, a chum of good ol'' delia and munby.[/quote]

I don''t think Keith Webb was anything to do with Delia and Mumby! Webby could "outstay" my mother-in-law Fellas [;)]

He was at the club over 25 years and worked under every single manager from Ken Brown to Peter Grant. He came in for a lot of flak on here in the last couple of years but he must have been good at his job.

Ade Boothroyd replaced Keith Webb as youth team coach and stayed a couple of years before leaving to join WBA. From what I remember at the time Worthy didn''t want him to go. I also remember Boothroyd saying how much interest Nigel Worthington took in the youth players at the time. Shhhhhh... don''t tell anyone though [:#]

[/quote]Hahaha worthy and his youth policy. Seriously though, i thought they overlooked boothroyd for the position and gave it to webb. So boothroyd just left and joined WBA a while later. Doesn''t matter, we have livermore and webb and worthy and the other guy who''s name i''ve forgot. Oh well the ''dream team'' so to speak.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry Yankee but it`s got nothing to do with stars lining up right. Their reaction to relegation was to sign McAnuff and Ellington for £6million (and one or two others) to bolster an already decent squad, ours was to sell Francis, Jonsson, Helveg and Svensson for £3.5million and spend £750k on Hughes, Thorne, Jarrett and Colin. My mate says that none of their best players want to leave because they feel part of a clearly ambitious, forward-thinking club on the way up. Since relegation we have been the exact opposite of this.

[/quote]

Then what is your explanation Mr. Carrow for how we were doing in 2003/04 vs the Watford performance that season and the one after that. Over the long haul football is swings and roundabouts and sometimes, with the yo-yo clubs participating between the Premiership and Championship, the mix is right and things work out, but many times it doesn''t. Over the last decade Watford had a couple of seasons participation in the Premiership as well as a couple of seasons down in the third level. Your mates perspective on how things are at Watford now is probably fairly accurate but my point is that''s not how things always are at Watford, is it? They appear to be ambitious and forward thinking at this point in time but, as soon as the mix changes or the manager leaves for greener pastures, then they will likely not appear to be that way. Look at Bolton. They have done well for a club their size for a number of seasons. They still appear to have good talent on the roster but Allardyce leaves and, all of a sudden, they are in trouble. This is football for clubs that are not top-tier Premieship material.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

Would we have accepted the first part of "The Watford Way" though? They somehow managed to spend even less than us in their one season in The Premiership and never once looked like staying up (to say they performed reasonably well might be construed as ''spin'' by some [:P]). At least we gave it a bit of a go in the second half of the season, they were doomed before the end of the January sales!

I think they also sold Bouazza to Fulham after relegation as well and I can''t recall too much transfer speculation surrounding the rest of their players. The way they''ve gone about their business this season makes them look super ambitious compared to our pitiful efforts but if you look at the bigger picture they never even tried to stay in The Premiership.

What''s been allowed to happen in the two and a bit seasons since our relegation from The Premiership is nothing short of a disgrace but I don''t think we would have accepted the type of meek surrender showed by Watford after their promotion.

[/quote]

Shak,

I think Watford did it the right way. Accumulated a big sum of money from one Premiership season, didn''t spend it on infrastructure. Kept the core of their team together on the way down and then used the money to strengthen the team in the Championship. If they manage to get promoted this season, they''ll go up a second time with a much stronger squad, more experienced, and with good finances behind them. You get the impression that Watford board have planned this strategy well in advance, communicated it to the manager, players, fans etc.

Compare it to our lot, more interested in building roads than a football squad. And who''s long-term strategy probably consists of what to have for dinner.

YH

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]BTW Yankee did you see the mess your NFL teams made of the Wembley pitch; it ended up like a field of potatos.[/quote]

Yes Rudolph, I watched a little bit of it. I can''t understand the authorities allowing these tribes on to the Wembley turf. Dare I say it....it should be known as "the steroid stomp."

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Speaking personally i was behind the board during the Prem season, although not signing Crouch or Ashton at the start did puzzle and worry me as to the extent of their ambition. Don`t forget that we would never have signed Ashton at all were it not for the "B" shares £1.5million budget surplus. I was sure that the club were building up a war-chest for a good go at getting back up and when we raised £3.5million in transfers, i just thought that would be added to an already decent pot. How wrong i was. We made an overall profit of some £4million in the transfer market over two seasons when we raked in £14.2million in parachute payments. Scandalous.

Fair do`s, i forgot about Bouazza but i don`t think their spending in the Prem was much less than ours. Our basic turnover would also be significantly higher than their`s with higher ticket income, sponsorship etc.

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I bet you a Hershey bar (with almonds) and will scoff Elton ''tubster'' John''s syrup (without almonds) if they don''t. 

Watford''s Gap will increase, and they''ll win promotion from the Chumpionship. Dead Cert!

[/quote]

Mello, are you still feeling as certain about Watford as you did in late October?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Mello, are you still feeling as certain about Watford as you did in late October?

[/quote]

Still slightly better than the Charlton.....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Fellas"]

Didn''t Worthy want to promote him onto his backroom staff and get him working with the first team? If I recall they turned him down, let him leave for WBA and a similar job there. Instead we got Webb in, a chum of good ol'' delia and munby.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Talk or action? My recollection is the former. Shhhhhh........![:O]

Just for the record, of course.[:-*]

OTBC

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You know Mello, I really am partial to those Hershey bars with almonds. Are you in a generous mood and could we make it a big one. Of course Watford are not buried yet ( although they do appear to be dead ). Since you first posted this at the end of October Watford have managed 39 points from 33 games. During the same period Norwich yielded 47 points from 32 games. Of course, Watford could still finish up in the play-offs and, undeservedly, win promotion. However, I don''t think so on the latter point, do you? As I pointed out to you and Mr. Carrow, football really is a funny old game.

[quote user="whoareyou"]

Not quite sure how to take the quote about Elton! What exactly do you mean by his ''syrup''????? [:O]

[/quote]

...of figs

Cockney rhyming slang, me old china.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You know Mello, I really am partial to those Hershey bars with almonds. Are you in a generous mood and could we make it a big one. Of course Watford are not buried yet ( although they do appear to be dead ). Since you first posted this at the end of October Watford have managed 39 points from 33 games. During the same period Norwich yielded 47 points from 32 games. Of course, Watford could still finish up in the play-offs and, undeservedly, win promotion. However, I don''t think so on the latter point, do you? As I pointed out to you and Mr. Carrow, football really is a funny old game.

[/quote]

Mello, I really am licking my lips at the thought of a giant Hershey bar ( with almonds ).

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Mello, I really am licking my lips at the thought of a giant Hershey bar ( with almonds ).

[/quote]

Incorrectly, it seems. However, Mello, I don''t think you should take any comfort from the way Watford got into the playoffs compared to your opinion of how they would do it in style.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Incorrectly, it seems. However, Mello, I don''t think you should take any comfort from the way Watford got into the playoffs compared to your opinion of how they would do it in style.

[/quote]

Saviour the Hershey........It''s really a laxative chocolate bar.....