Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

City buy Youssef Safri for half a million

I just can''t believe some of the negative comments about Safri on here. I think he may well turn out to be a good signing. Those who say they can''t remember him should cast their minds back to the home game against Coventry last season. It was a 1-1 draw, but in truth they absolutely mullahed (if thats how you spell it) us. Safri looked like a very tough tackling, hard working midfielder in that game and his passing was pretty good too. In fact I''d almost go as far as to say that he bossed the midfield in that game. Not bad considering he had the geriatric Gary McAllister alongside him. He also had a good eye for a shot as well and went close on two or three occasions. I''ve always thought that given that we have limited funds to spend we needed to use our knowledge of Division 1 to pick up good players who have the potential to play in the Prem and to my mind Safri looks as though he fits the bill.

Oh, and how many of you can put your hands on your heart and say that you''d heard of Gary Holt before we signed him?

Average average average.Not the player we were hoping for.

Come on folks - give the bloke a chance - what a welcome to the club. Are you all going to be booing his name as the first team is read out at CR? I seem to remember this guy being one of the better players in a more than useful Morrocan squad...

Safri does hit some of the criteria of the signings - age (approaching his peak), desire to play (wants to play for city) and Nige clearly feels he will fit in with the squad - but I do feel he falls short on some of the key ones.

1. There are 2/3 key positions that need strengthening. Midfield is included but we need a wide right player and a creative central midfielder. Safri is neither of these.

2. Any signing was to better than we already had in the squad. I do not think he is better than either Holt or Francis in this role and did not dominate them in our games against Coventry last season.

He does boost the squad numbers wise which is needed and Worthy clearlt sees something in him that most commenators havent. However as we dont have a bottomless pit of cash to spend and still need to sign a further striker, two midfielders and, my highest priority, a pacy defender I do question the wisdom of spending nearly as much on him as we did Hux...

OTBC

Really well put.I have faith in Worthy but not blind faith.This guy is average and I''ve seen alot of him down the years.Dives into tackles too.Broke Colin Healy of Sunderland''s leg last year and he considered suing it was that bad.

I just can''t believe what I''m reading! I think he will an excellent addition to the midfield. Holt, Francis and Mulryne are not proven in the Premiership so I think Worthy was always going to strengthen that area and £500,000.00 aint a great sum of money for a player with Prem and international experience - do get real - we''re not a country bumkin club anymore - get used to it.

Why is everyone worried about the other areas to be strengthened. I''m sure Worthy is already working on this. OK, if Safri ends up as being the last signing prior to the big kick off I would really worry.

Hey folks - don''t panic!

For goodness sake you lot, what a bunch of moaners you are on here. We haven''t even kicked a ball yet and some of you are having a good old whinge. Give the guy a chance, I think i would rather trust Worthy and Foley''s judgement of a player than some of you on here(remember McKenzie/Svensson, even Cooper). Our central midfield at the moment consists of Holt/Francis and Mulryne so any injuries there and we would be looking at Mcveigh and Rivers in midfield, I think not. Was Holt outstanding at Kilmarnock? Was Malky outstanding at Celtic? Was Edworthy outstanding before we bought him? You lot on here are getting as bad as that whinging lot on WOTB. OTBC

Well said Bananaman, refreshing comment cosidering the the other adverse comments contained on this thread, made as usual without any solid knowledge about the chap. Trust Worthy.OTBC!!!

I think this seems to be a signing of first division quality, but every player has to be given a chance. Although is he any better than we have already got and to buy a tough tackling midfielder seems a bit disappointing me when Holt already wins his fair amount of tackles already. As for international quality, no disrespect to Morocco, but they’re hardly a great international side.

Agree with Zipper - and we don''t really have anyone else in the mould of Holt so i think this is where NW is coming from on this one. We know how important he was to us and an all action ball winner is an important player to have. Fortunately, very fortunately, Holty didn''t miss a game all last season but we can''t always expect that.
Also agree with Eeny - quit your monanin already some of you! Lets kick a bloomin ball first before we begin mouthin off like a crazed wizard!!

for those saying that he has proven premier experience, may i remind all that his one and only season was when coventry got relegated. last season he barely played due to injury. a player who has played in the premiership cannot always be regarded as a "premiership" player

isn''t the fact that no-one saw this particular signing coming a contributing factor to the backlash..?

I think Nigel''s played a blinder... Whilst quite surprised, I believe Safri will play a part in the forthcoming campaign and not let anyone down...

And also, doesn''t this show that Nigel''s willing to buy foreigners, albeit from the English league?

Next in will be Nilsson of Sweden I hope, and the someone like Jancker or Koeller (ie, a solid, rugged centre forward...)

We do need some cover for Holt and it''s no guarantee that Holt will be good enough for the Prem. Safri has passing abilities as well as sharing Holt''s tenacious qualities so it won''t be a bad thing to have that in reserve.
Peter Reid seemed to suggest that Safri was off to the Prem anyway, so maybe we''ve done well in getting him.
We should rememeber that we were very lucky with injuries last year, particularly considering we only had 16 senior players in the squad for most of the season. Relying on Hendo for a few games is ok in the first division but will seriously trouble us in the Prem if we don''t have an experienced squad.

great signing,top player.well done nw. he makes easton and rivers look like two one legged men in a a--s kicking compation.

Yippee!! We can play a midfield of Safri; Holt and Francis!! That will sort out some of the Premiership prima donnas!!
Worthy knows what he doing when he is in the transfer market....apart from Abbey; Easton; Rivers; Heckinbottomm; Briggs etc - what''s the problem with Safri??

I have to admit I was pretty shocked on two fronts when I heard this at work today. Firstly that we''ve gone for Safri at all. He''s hardly set the world alight in the 1st Division. My second concern though was the price- 500K!! Seems an awful lot for a player with only one year left on his deal to me. I''m perfectly happy to give him a chance, I will to any signing. However, for 500K I would have thought we could have brought in a bit more quality

Im sure Nigel would have said what fantastic fans Norwich have as part of getting Safri to come to the club.

Im also sure he wouldnt want people writing off his decisions and not backing players before theyve even started.

I say welcome to NCFC, and lets see what you can do!

hmmmmmm..........

i think that sums it up best!!!!

doesn''t seem a likely star but Worthy is usually good at spotting unrealised potential......but where are the defenders.

For 500k we have bought quality, DD. He''s a proven international who played a major part during Moroccos run to the African Cup of Nations final. I think if he had been fit for more of last year then his price would be much higher. Worthy''s gone and pulled another one out of the bag.

My worry is on his fitness, but I agree with King Juan that his addition can only br a good thing for the squad.

As for him ''getting stuck in'' then I for one can''t wait. I can hear the cheers now as he upends Thiery Henry at CR, or kicks Nistelrooy out of the stadium. Get in there!

Trust in Worthy for we are not worthy...

Todays EDP claims the price tag could rise to as much as £1,000,000! All I can say is this bloke had better be worth it.

I agree it''s our defence that needs strengthening now. Someone with pace please Worthy!

Juan - Didn''t he say he *wanted* to play in the Premiership as opposed to *going* to the Premiership.

Prove himself? He was man of the match in the Africa Nations Cup Semi final against Mali for christ sake. Sadly he does spend time away plaing in such tournaments, and I think £1m is a lot for a 2 year deal. Also injury prone.

A better passer than Mulryne(who is great on his day) though Cov fans got frustrated with his contantly passing sideways.

Relegates Holt to the subs bench, at Prem level thats not a bad thing.

Huckerby Safri Francis Bentley across midfield?

I think people are forgetting that we are a Premiership club now - this will NOT be our major signing of the summer, mark my words.......

Worthy already said he wanted 5 or 6 new players as a minimum, so Safri makes 3, with only 500k spent on fees so far........

There''s plenty of time, and I think everyone is just p***ed off because they wanted a bigger name. I think Safri fits the bill perfectly.

I like your optimism Temp! I really do. I agree that Worthy wants 5 or 6 players, but I would have thought Safri would be one of the biggest. I can''t see us splashing out much more than 500K on other players. If we''ve spent £2.5M this summer I''ll be surpirsed, and very pleased!!

I''m not sure it is optimism DD, I seem to recall figures of around £5m being made available for transfer fees, with another £2m for wages......

Also, with another 3 players expected in, going by what I said before, even by your figures we will still have £2m to spend on them.

Nobody rated Holt, Edworthy or Francis when we signed them, and look at the abuse Svensson got on these boards when he came - yet look at them now. Safri will deliver, even if it is just as cover for Holt. we can''t expect him to continue to play EVERY game in a season for us!

Worthy has a knack of keeping us guessing, and pulling rabbits of the hat. Yes, there have been one or two dodgy moments along the way (Easton, Heckingbottom spring to mind), but even they did a job for us when they were needed. I don''t include Libbra, because he contributed, and likewise Emblen - he was simply unlucky. I just have faith in Worthy to pick out players who will fit into his jigsaw, and Safri fits that bill on all but one count, his discipline. I''m sure Worthy will sort that out though!