Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

City buy Youssef Safri for half a million

Where has this come from - cant see it anywhere else?

Bad - seems a lot of money for a squad player

OK at div 1 level but not up the required standard in prem and no better than the players we already have IMHO.

OTBC

I have just looked up his stats on the Coventry site and they say he is a tough midfielder, but suggest he has a discipline problem (a few red cards and plenty of yellows) and hasn''t hit the heights expected of him. Not sure, if this is true, how I would feel about this, but I guess Worthy knows what he is doing and thinks he would be good for us...IF he signs. He''s apparently only scored once there in a couple of seasons!

heard Worthy was after someone with a good left foot.If this is true he''s bought someone with two!

dodgy dodgy signing. this was the guy who crunched sunderlands colin healy last season. I wasn''t impressed at all with him. if we were to buy any coventry player then it should be richie partidge who was on loan there last year. certainly not a 1/2 mil player

Surprised. Hardly a signing any of us were expecting, but I''m sure Worthy knows what hes doing as he has done in the past....well i hope so! :P

This is what the Coventry website says about him:

Name: Youssef Safri
Position: Midfielder
Date of Birth: 13/01/1977
Place of Birth: Casablanca, Morocco

Profile:
Moroccan international Youssef Safri joined the Sky Blues in August 2001 from Raja Casablanca after being tracked by former manager Gordon Strachan for more than a year.

Former-City skipper Moustapha Hadji recommended Safri to Strachan after seeing him in action for the national team. Regarded as a defensive midfielder, Safri is also renowned for his ability to score goals with both his right and left foot.

In the 26-year-old, the Sky Blues have a player who has a good range of passing and can read the game well - a major loss to the side when he was absent with a hernia for a large proportion of the 2003-04 campaign.

I agree that Worthys recent record speaks for itself, although the attampted signing of O''Connor last year still sticks in the mind, and we should trust his judgement.

My view is that we would be better signing poyet for a free on £10k a week (£520k for the season) that Safri, and I was vehemently opposed to signing Poyet on age and performance grounds...

OTBC

Full story here:

[link]http://www.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/Story.asp?Brand=PINKUNonline&Category=Norwich&ItemId=NOED25+Jun+2004+10%3A59%3A26%3A600[/link]

Can''t remember seeing him play for them which indicates to me that he didn''t stand out. But have faith in Nigel and see what happens

I checked the date to make sure it was''nt April the 1st, this signing has got to be a bloody joke!. He''ll be off the pitch, more than on it, the guys a 100% thug.

Is Worthy panicking or is he just plain desperate and stupid?.

Very, very dissapointed, now I''ll really have my work cut out, help!!!.

Come on people, give the lad a chance! If Worthy rates him enough to pay 1/2 a mill for him, then there must be something there. And it sounds like Reidy would have liked to keep him from his comments, which must be something. And let''s face it, he might just be at the wrong club at Coventry, like Hux was at Man City.......

It''s another good addition to the squad for very little outlay, in my opinion.......

Wiz thats a little harsh. I know he has is flaws but lets rate the player after a few games before judging him when he hasnt even kicked a ball. Worthy has made some great signings in the past so lets give Saffri some time!!

The reaction is quite disgusting the guy hasn''t kicked a ball and everyone seems to be ruling him out cos they haven''t heard of him that doesn''t make him a bad player. I remember when chippo and safri both came to england and they were in the premiership with coventry and both look very good, so lets just wait and see shall we. Give the lad a chance.

I agree.. we need to give him a chance.. Worthy has earned the right to have his judgment trusted.. he did well with his signings last season. This boy is an international, lets give him a go. hes one of us now.

This one is completely out of the blue!!

I don''t know much about him, although he is reported to have been instrumental to Morocco reaching the final of the African Nations. This says a lot as there are many great players and teams in Africa.

Lets give Worthy the respect he deserves and trust his judgement.

I seem to recall watching the mass hysteria from afar, while everyone vicously scythed down Leon McKenzie and Matt Svensson before they had kicked a ball. They turned out alright, so we have no reason to believe that Safri won''t.

Talking to a friend who is a sky blue fan, he was surprised at the fee being so much, but maybe the cards he has got in the past is due to his tough tackling style. i certainly would give him the benefit of the doubt. As we now have more than our fair share of midfielders does this mean McVeigh, Mulryne and possible Rivers are on the way out.

this is all a little to familiar from when we signed mckenzie, everyone saying he would be useless, unproven waste of money blah blah, give the guy a chance! from what i remeber of seing him play a couple of times he is a mix of holt and mulryne, good passer of the ball and vision but will also get stuck in and is more physicall than mullers, good addition in my opinion

OK, we need to judge him on performance in a city shirt,BUT does he offer anything more than what we''ve got? NO! There are areas of our squad that desperatley need improvement (centre back, right wing, creative centre midfielder, holding striker) before getting someone in for 500 000 who doesn''t appear to offer anything different to Gary Holt. There is a lesson to be learnt from last night, if you play defensively against world class players you pay the price. I hope worthy isn''t toying with the idea of playing like WBA. I guess we''ll have to wait a couple of months b4 we can say whether this is a good signing or not, for sure.

p.s. Uflylousy (spelling?) czech republic defender kept Van Nistleroy quiet and showed amazing pace, might be worth a look? plays 4 hamburg. What do you guys reckon.

I will trust you on this one Worthy, however how did we manage to sign a player from the Midlands?, didn''t the ginger whinger want him ?

Is it the one who got away? or the one I didn''t want?

i happen to think this is a good signing...i dont know where uve all been but ive heard of safri for quite a few seasons!..has experiance in the prem, plays with both feet, creates play and also a tough tackler...i wouldnt just say a squad player and many managers seem to rate him highly, lets give him a chance and i find it very shocking that i already have to say about the player...''''get of his back''''...not good