Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Who do we actually want, then?

I can''t be the only person on here who is getting peed off by all these threads and comments from people moaning about who they don''t want as manager, but which don''t go anywhere near telling us who they would actually go for.  Perhaps I am cynical but it is as if they are posturing in such a way that they don''t want to commit so that they can immediately slag off whoever it is who is appointed?!

There are still plenty of decent managers in the mix - here''s the betting list from a few days ago, which doesn''t actually include several possibles: Paul Jewell, Ian Crook,  Steve Bruce, Dion Dublin, Martin Allen, Joe Royle, Mark Bowen, Jim Duffy, Mike Newell, Glenn Hoddle, Peter Reid, Peter Taylor, Malky Mackay, Dave Penney, Nigel Pearson, Geraint Williams, Stuart Pearce, Steve Tilson, Paul Ince, Kevin Keegan, George Graham.  [Possibles omitted: Pulis, Roberts, Calderwood, Moore, + several others]

Unfortunately for those who seem to think they are all ruling themselves out, none actually has.  I''ve scoured the pinkun stories but found no direct quotes from anyone saying they are not interested, other than Ince and even then I think he was just having a general moan.  I''m not talking about a quote from an agent or ''source'' - they mean sod all (anyone remember the signing of Hucks?) - agents will lie their arses off if it suits.  But even if you take those quotes, the only other ones ruling themselves out are Royle and Hoddle (omg, how will we cope!) - both hardly high on people''s lists, surely.  Pulis was never even on the list but is not actually quoted as having commented for or against. [Meanwhile, could anyone really see Keegan or Graham here?]

To be honest, it does seem that there is almost a wall of silence on this appointment.  It is imo poor that the board/Smith-MWJ haven''t issued some form of comment to supporters - particularly in light of recent stories - but otherwise re: the managerial appointment this is probably as it should be.   In actual fact, cutting through the hearsay, the only attributable quote talking directly about a link with Norwich is from someone who was interested (Martin Allen), and the only thing we all seem to agree on is that none of us want Duffy (though a caretaker who wins several games is hard to budge!)!!!

My top 3, in no particular order, would be: Bruce, Allen (despite what my Brentford supporting mate tells me), Bowen. 

Anyone else....?

The deafening silence in reply to a reasonable request speaks volumes ...   Anyway, I''ll chuck my 2 p''s worth in & say

Martin Allen?

???

I say this because:   a) his record is good,    b) he seems to be able to stand up for himself,   c)he doesn''t talk himself round in circles in an indecipherable dialect while waving his arms about &    d) he actually might want the job.

Next .....

Staying sensible and bearing in mind the names that appear to be available I would be happy (ish) with any one of Coleman, Newell, Allen or Stimson. All would bring something different to us at the moment, Stimson in particular appears very interesting - although it is only at a lower level it seems that every one of his clubs has played good football and achieved success. He also demonstrates a ruthlessness with his willingness to resign and move on as he deems neccessary.

Mark .Y.

In order of preference (of those who haven''t ruled themselves out) :Yes please :Steve BruceDave PenneyYer man Stimson from StevenageDuffy / Gunn or Duffy / DublinNo Thanks :Crook / LittbarskiMartin AllenSigning Bruce would be a signal that we are willing to compete, and I believe he''d only come here if he was given a budget to do so.  Penney and Stimson know the lower leagues, and would be able to pick out up and coming players, from what I''ve heard they both seem to encourage attractive football.  They would be good low budget bets.  Duffy plus coach might be able to provide some form of continuity if Grants'' constant over-thinking was a major part of the problem that caused the poor performances.   Crook / Littbarski has the potential to go quite badly wrong, and I reckon that there''s something about Martin Allen that has the potential to rub the name players up the wrong way.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]In order of preference (of those who haven''t ruled themselves out) :

Yes please :

Steve Bruce
Dave Penney
Yer man Stimson from Stevenage
Duffy / Gunn or Duffy / Dublin

[/quote]

Jim Duffy!!!  HAHAHAHAHAHHA  what a joke, you want to put a manager in charge who has relegated every club he has managed (3 so far!!)!!!  What a joke BlahBlahBlah...  his relegation history even seems to be rubbing itself off on us at the moment....

There are no guarantees of success whoever is appointed, but I believe the board must go for a man who offers the best chance in both theirs and the supporters minds.  Given this criteria, my top three are:

1)  Paul Jewell (Yes I know he will probably go to Bolton, but he hasn''t yet)

2)  Steve Bruce

3)  Mickey Adams (This is very much a THIRD choice) 

[quote]Jim Duffy!!!  HAHAHAHAHAHHA  what a joke, you want to put a manager in

charge who has relegated every club he has managed (3 so far!!)!!! 

What a joke BlahBlahBlah...  his relegation history even seems to be

rubbing itself off on us at the moment...[/quote]Obviously you have trouble understanding the phrase "order of preference".

I''m very much for a Manager with a proven managerial record in the UK, preferably one who is still hungry and on the way up the managerial ladder rather than on the way down, whose teams have been shown to play football the traditional Norwich way i.e. not hoofball, and who fits in with the culture of NCFC. Personally I think it''s no bad thing if he comes from the lower leagues as that''s where we might well pick up some good players at reasonable prices so my short list would certainly include Ince and Penney and probably Newell, Geraint Williams and Tilson as well. I would also have Bruce, Jewell and Coleman on my list of candidates to be considered IF they are interested but I suspect it''s a fairly big IF with all three. Other than that, none of the other names being bandied around really inspire me.  

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]In order of preference (of those who haven''t ruled themselves out) :

Yes please :

Steve Bruce
Dave Penney
Yer man Stimson from Stevenage
Duffy / Gunn or Duffy / Dublin

[/quote]

Jim Duffy!!!  HAHAHAHAHAHHA  what a joke, you want to put a manager in charge who has relegated every club he has managed (3 so far!!)!!!  What a joke BlahBlahBlah...  his relegation history even seems to be rubbing itself off on us at the moment....

[/quote]

So that''s no constructive response to BP''s question from you then, CJF. I would like to see Bruce, Stimson or Bowen here myself. Or Gradi but it doesn''t look as if he is even in the running. 

[quote user="mystic megson"]

The real problem as I see it is this:  do we still have any confidence in the board''s ability to appoint the right person? 

[/quote]

I agree mystic. I would really like to see some possitve leadership from our board, by working out who they want and going for him. I know Simon Jordan has plenty of faults but he worked out Warnock was the man and had him within a week. We have been twice as long and so far have only said that Duffy is in charge for another couple of weeks while we think about it.

What this says to me is that Simon Jordan worked out that Taylor was probably going and pro-activley started working on his replacement.Our board seem to have taken Grants leaving as a total shock and had to start from a blank page.

For what it''s worth my three preferred targets would be Ince, Bruce, and Newell (Jewell obviously but I''ve assumed he''ll be at Bolton soon).

Dave Penney stands head and shoulders above anyone in this list. Bruce is unlikely to jump ship (though he might get the sack eventually) but his record hardly justifies bustin a gut to get him. Phil Parkinson would be a good outside shout after his achievments at Colchester. Duffy is just unacceptable in the current climate (unless we hammer Bristol & Burnley). Stimson, a guy whose first name you can''t remember from non-league....no way.

I wouldn''t be unhappy if any of the following were appointed as the new City manager: -

1. Martin Allen

2. Paul Ince

3. Paul Jewell

4. Mike Newell

I think they''re all capable confident managers, who should be able to steady the good ship Canary and set her back on the right course back to calmer waters.

Good afternoon well my choices for manager would be

Jose Morinho (can dream)

Ideally

Chris Coleman

Paul Ince

Paul Jewell

Ian Crook as new coach can show players that the pitch is green not blue (ie no hoofball crap)

Do not want

Duffy must take some blame for the rubbish this season especially the rubbish at QPR a school team of juniors would have put in a beter football display. Also whats the strategy of defending by running backwards away from the ball that is awful.

Martin allen too much hoofball

Mike Newell not that confidet he can motivate players at this moment in time

paul jewell please.

he has yet to say no, so there''s still hope.

alan curbushley had already said no buy this time last year. so jewell is still a possibility

I would go for Tilson.  It''s who I wanted last season.  Penney is a good shout also/

I really don''t want Martin Allen he hasn''t actually achieved anything.  Also, anyone with "Paid £1.6m plus for DJ Campbell" on their CV should be given no consideration in my book.

Looking back on the way we have appointed succesfull managers over the last 50 years they have either been ambitious young managers from the league below (Saunders, Bond, O''Neill) or a coach promoted from within (Brown, Stringer, Walker, Worthington). Of the ambitious young managers from the league below I would choose Calderwood or Ince. Promoted from within only gives us Duffy. I don''t want Duffy but then at the time they were appointed I was with the majority in not wanting Walker or Worthington.

My number one choice would be Calderwood but he is never mentioned and I guess we would never get him off Forest. I would like to think we had the ambition to try though.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Looking back on the way we have appointed succesfull managers over the last 50 years they have either been ambitious young managers from the league below (Saunders, Bond, O''Neill) or a coach promoted from within (Brown, Stringer, Walker, Worthington). Of the ambitious young managers from the league below I would choose Calderwood or Ince. Promoted from within only gives us Duffy. I don''t want Duffy but then at the time they were appointed I was with the majority in not wanting Walker or Worthington.

My number one choice would be Calderwood but he is never mentioned and I guess we would never get him off Forest. I would like to think we had the ambition to try though.

[/quote]

Fifty years includes Archie Macaulay who perhaps wrought the biggest miracle of all.

How did he come to be appointed?

Willie Reid was also very successful but perhaps he wasn''t here long enough to be factored in (unlike Martin O''Neil?).

I''m not trying to spoil the fearful symmetry of your analysis. Just interested. 

OTBC

[quote user="dr livingstone"]

paul jewell please.

he has yet to say no, so there''s still hope.

alan curbushley had already said no buy this time last year. so jewell is still a possibility

[/quote]

...is interesting that the latest odds per the pinkun have Jewell now at 11/10 which seems rather short odds to me; it seems that everyone who thought he was an automatic shoe-in for Bolton were a bit mistaken - of course he might still take over there but just about everyone else is being linked too.  Am pretty sure that he''d be pretty good for us, at least he wouldn''t have too many detractors from the off, unlike some...

[quote user="ByeByeBoard"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Fifty years includes Archie Macaulay who perhaps wrought the biggest miracle of all.

How did he come to be appointed?

Willie Reid was also very successful but perhaps he wasn''t here long enough to be factored in (unlike Martin O''Neil?).

I''m not trying to spoil the fearful symmetry of your analysis. Just interested. 

OTBC

[/quote]

I should have said 40 years rather than 50 Bly! My time doesn''t go back that far but its interesting to look it up and find out for both of us.

Archie Macauley  kind of fits the symmetry I guess as he was a top player who was managing at a lower level prior to becoming manager of our great club. He was a league and cup winner with Rangers before being transfered to West Ham before the war. After the war he played for Brentford, Arsenal and Fulham He became Guildfords player manager in 1953 but I think he had a stint as trainer/coach of Dundee before he became our manager in April 1957. Archie Macauley left the club in October 1961 to manage WBA.

Willie Reid took over 2 months later. Canary Citizens states that Geoffrey Watling had himself handled the day to day running of the club until then. Apparantly there had been over 100 applicants for the job and out of the nine who were interviewed Reid was the only Scot. Willie Reid had been connected with St Mirren for 17 years as a player, trainer and manager.

Interestingly it also states in CC that one player of the era said that Reid''s broad scottish accent had been hard to understand! See... older fans probably really have seen it all before!! [;)]

I take the point about O''Neill but he was succesfull after leaving us and would surely have made the list had he stayed long enough.

Hi Branston Pickle,

Yep, most on here in Australia would go as whingeing Poms.

The Board are not saying anything until they announce the new manager ...........because they.ve got nothing to say until theydecide. Its frustrating not knowing but its no different to being a child and not knowing what you''re going to get for Christmas.

Ian Holloway

Nigel Clough

Fregusson from Peterborough

I think a change from an ncfc connection could be a good idea

I can see it being Duffy but I have my doubts as if it doesn''t work the backlash from supporters will be horrendous

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Jim Duffy!!!  HAHAHAHAHAHHA  what a joke, you want to put a manager in charge who has relegated every club he has managed (3 so far!!)!!!  What a joke BlahBlahBlah...  his relegation history even seems to be rubbing itself off on us at the moment....[/quote]No be fair CJF, you don''t have much credibility on the picking managers front! You''re still obsessed with slagging of our best manager of the past couple of decades - Nigel Worthington. Read the stats Paul, they don''t lie.So, Jim Duffy it is then...