Sign in to follow this  
gazzathegreat

The AGM (long post)

Hi everyone, I survived it, and WAS going to ask a question or two, but didn''t have to as they were all asked before I got a chance. (Mainly on the land they had bought at the back of the South Stand under Kerrison Holdings, estimated to be worth 10m when flats (200+ of them) are sold. (I also know about this as I live very close to the ground and it came up in my searches!!), and on non-players wages. Some very heated questions re the clauses in Earnshaw and Etuhu''s contracts.

Announced the predicted release of new shares, which a spokesperson for the Supporters'' Trust made a claim to some of. Resolution carried for them to have a small percentage.

General mood - it''s difficult at the AGM as a lot of attendees are the City Stand type who I never see again until the next AGM! I felt like the youngest one there and that''s saying something. Didn''t see anyone on this board that I knew, but got there pretty early and was near the front.

Doncaster was very muted and didn''t say much and on more than one occasion passed to Shaun O''Hara (financial secretary) to answer.

Munby was defensive and apologetic to begin with. The Turners also looked v nervous and Andrew Turner dismissed speculation regarding the Peter Cullum "I have never met the guy" and also buying Delia and Michael out. What they didn''t say was that they wouldn''t eventually, and they have been bought in mainly to trun the finances around. A point referred to more than once by Munby. Andrew also said that would set themselves a time limit and if at that time they had reached agreement that they had failed the club they would go.

Very simple, straight to the point and a million miles away from the other ditherers.

Delia then said she would welcome anyone (didn''t set any precedents, foreign, fan or otherwise) to invest in the club or buy her out. She said NO ONE had offered to and no one was interested in doing so.

FACT FOR YOU ALL - STUNNING STUFF

Andrew and Sharon Turner have been appointed onto the board to "monitor" the progress and work of Neil Doncaster!! They have already made him aware of shortcomings/areas of improvement.

Jim Duffy was present in his caretaker role and there were mainly football tactic questions aimed at him re the captaincy, midfield, DH speaking to the press, away form, what was lacking in present players - he admitted they were a broken unit and NOT playing or behaving like a team and that there were broken factions within that squad. No coach had been appointed as PG was waiting on the outcome of a hopeful, but circumstances at that guy''s club prevented him from moving in for him. Grant then decided to wait until things got more stable here, but of course that didn''t happen.

Jim Duffy actually came across really well, was very articulate and spoke well of everyone at the club, he mentioned in response to another question about a Director of Football on the board that he had indeed held that position and he had applied for the job formally.

Munby said there had been interest and applications from international players, championship managers, up and coming managers and PREMIERSHIP managers. All in present tense, no mention of anyone who hadn''t managed before. It was a process they wouldn''t rush.

One great question re the accounts which visibly shook the lot of them re the money, accounts, ambition etc. Munby was speechless and S O''Hara had to come in and answer. Basically a lot about restructering debts. Well done if it was a poster, guy in thirties I would guess. Lots of qs re ambiton (as always) and the infrastructure. NOT any dissent over any of this from anyone in the audience.

Great question re midfield (or lack of it) from another guy (older), which Jim Duffy agreed with. Also great speech about getting real attacking passing football back.

Lots of the usual stuff re Delia saving the club though. Keith Roads (who has been mentioned on here before) spoke out about Delia''s % of shares and that it was stopping interest in other people investing. This was the most heated question of the evening and the board were in danger of losing control of the meeting at one point. Delia just kept saying "No one wants to buy me out". THE WHOLE BOARD WERE DEFINITELY ON EDGE AND VERY NERVOUS. NOT MUCH SPIN.......WELL AS MUCH AS USUAL.

All in all a decidedly icy first half, thawing out towards the end. A lot of very pointed questions, a few mentioning how grateful they were to the board etc etc, but NOT AS MANY AS USUAL.

There is to be a meeting arranged on November 7th (times and venue not mentioned ) for ANYONE to go to for questions re the finances and prudence/ambition policy......this is not just for shareholders......

I am sorry it is difficult to remember it all. Mood amongst most shareholders (I assmue the ones that go to games, not sure of some of them there!!) was critical, but as some have said on here, they still believe in Delia and Michael. Delia did look very shaky and not herself.

Apres Chase AGMs would say this is the most frosty anti board (if that''s possible at an AGM) that I have attended so far. Not been every year, but I can only comment on those I have been to.

And significant - had to show ID and proof of shares on entrance, never had to do that before, even in the WO season.

Didnt see you Gazza but was nearer the back so guess thats why, but did look for you at the end.

Questions/comments asked for anyone who didn''t go which together with Gazza''s report will give you a good idea as to what you missed.

What is the selection process to be used for the new manager cause it didnt work well last time and look what a mess we''re in ( only female who asked a question and she did it very well)

Someone commented on the poor quality of the squad and players wages.

A man told a story about a sandwich top slice ok and bottom slice ok but if the filling is horrible then its no good - midfield needs sorting out- Delia kept nodding in agreement - then Duffy agreed and talked about Keano and his influence and thats what we''re missing.

John Hartson question - Duffy said he''d got him in for experience and that we need another strong character and Hartson had real presence

Someone asked re what qualities the new manager needed and suggested they get someone with better man management skills - said going public as Grant has done with certain players destroys morale

Next person asked 4 questions if they would open Colney to fans again straightaway because other than fans osting that our team cant score he didnt seem the point and fans werent happy. Doomcaster said it would be a managers decision. Asked what they were going to do about weak squad, asked how players would be bought in if there was no money and how season ticket holders when they renewed their season tickets werent aware of the get out clauses of Earnie and Dickson

Some horrible man had a go about Hucks and how he was too big for his boots with his statements etc etc. Duffy explained that its more frustration than anything else and because he cares so much about the club and fans. Said missing preseason had annoyed him and he wasnt back to full fitmess which frustrates him too. Doesnt think players should be gagged and Championship clubs would queue up to have Hucks in their team if he was available

Keith Roads had a go at Delia about her shares and how being majority shareholder would put people off from investing as she had controlling interest. Cant remember what else he said but a few older people tried to shout him down but to his credit he kept going.Delia was visibly very rattled and said '''' If you can find any other idiots like us 4 who have put in £3.1m out of our own money and wont get anything back then let us know and they can go ahead and have the club'''' Not word for word but she did say idiots, she seemed to lose her cool

A man asked about the land for the block of flats and Kerrisons and how that would be worth £10m to us.

Why do we struggle to attract players - Foulger pointed out that we matched wages for Sharp and Varney

Someone asked Mumby what would be a satisfactory league position and he said under duress, top 10

A question was asked about Shackell being captain - Duffy said Grant was hoping he''d grow into the role under Dion''s guidance and that in 2 years time he would be agreat captain

Why do the away fans have to park on the overflow building site carpark which isnt nice to go back to at 2am after a long trip. - cause delias restaurant guests get the proper car park!

Someone said he had a real fear that we would get relegated  and that we needed a couple of strong midfielders - Board said money is avaiable for loan players

A question was asked re players wages and mentioned that Hucks had said something about them on radio today??

Someone pointed out that they shouldnt be waiting for applications they should be approaching the people they want. Doncaster said they had. Mumby then said they had over 50 applications in the first 4 days from hugh quality people, some premier managers and some with international experience.

Turners chipped in a few times and said at beginning that they are both Norwich fans, here for the duration but if they werent successful in doing the job and couldnt deliver, they would be honest like Grant and stand down.They said they had a plan, didnt say anything about investing any more money, made it clear they weren''t takeing over from Delia and said they didnt know and had never met Peter Cullum who people think they are a front for.

I would guess there were about 400 people there, about 20 questions asked and when people had to vote Delia in only about 7 people objected. People had to give their full names before they could ask a question and there were loads of camera there, plsu they zoomed in on the questioners and you could see them on the screen at the front which must have been off putting.

Just two impressions from me cause its 12.35 am and I''m knackered.

1) Delia wasn''t a happy bunny and got very rattled when challenged.

2) I think Duffy has already got the job and so did others sitting around me. It was just the way he spoke and how the board seemed to warm to his answers. Have to say he was a good speaker and we could understand him too.

3) The board got an easy ride maybe because its intimidating or maybe because the strong characters who are very anti board either wernt there or didn''t ask any questions. Mumby lost his flow when asked re the boards ambition, money stuff, investments and passed them questions on to others.

Funniest bit

Someone went on about how Grant shouldnt have discussed stuff in public re his crititism of the players and should have been more discreet and when a man asked Duffy to tell us why he was the right man for the job he replied '''' Sorry my friend but I couldnt possibly discuss that in public I''m a tad more discreet than that''''

Sorry for any spelling mistakes its too late to spell check!!

[quote user="cityangel"]

3) The board got an easy ride maybe because its intimidating or maybe because the strong characters who are very anti board either wernt there or didn''t ask any questions. Funniest bit

[/quote]

That''s disappointing to hear I was hopeing they would get a harder ride than they got, going on what I have read from you two I would say that the meeting overall didn''t fill me with joy, judgeing by some of those answers.

Big thanks to you for your report though

The impression I get is a club very long on financial people but very short on football skills. IMO they seem more interested in increasing shareholder value through player trading and property development and the football side of it is of secondary importance to them.

YH

Only other thing to add to what''s been said, at the beginning when we were voting on the new share issue, someone from NCST stood up and interrupted, announced that they had an application to buy £5,000 of the new shares, and put it on the table.  Given last season''s experience, I guess they wanted to make sure they got in first this time.  Well done NCST.

Thanks very much for that guys, appreciated.

Lets just hope for the best............................

Cheers

OTBC

Thanks to you both. Looks like NCFC is on its last legs while NCPLC has all the investment it wants and even takes out loans to build roads, all riding on the back of the FOOTBALL club and its 25,000 supporters. Its just another sad day for FOOTBALL at Carrow Rd.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

very comprehensive report from Gazza (and City Angel) - damn, I''ll have to get on with some work instead!

I differ from Gazza in one respect in that although there were many critical questions most of these related to the playing side i.e. ''players not trying'', ''no midfield'', ''no leaders'' etc. Apart from Keith Roads (who at one point was having a 1:1 argument with Smith), the anti Board feeling that perpetuates this message board was simply not reflected (IMO) last night. OK there was a slight shift in attitude from the AGM two years ago when Worthy was under fire but it''s a damn slow process akin to turning the Titanic. Maybe, by the time I''m long since retired and Smith is still being wheeled out to the front table the shareholders may finally see the light (by then of course it will be too late!)

Smith even had the audacity to say on Rodeo Norfolk this morning (interview after the AGM) that ..........''Michael and I have put in £1.1M since Christmas''. Er, sorry but was not that previous loans that were converted to shares? If so then it''s NOT new money.

All in all the Board must have been laughing all the way to their G&T''s once the last shareholder had been booted out of the door.

As for The Turners? Sharon Turner said NOTHING all night (even old man Foulger piped up a couple of times) and I found that very uninspiring. Andrew Turner admittedly seems more solid and candid but did say that ....''PG was just unlucky''! It''s difficult to gauge what The Turners actual role or influence will be in the future but they don''t strike me as having any clear vision for the future and they certainly don''t invigorate any feeling of ambition or leadership.   

I have to say I really dislike Delia and Michael - as individuals (especially) Delia she seems very big headed always looking for praise from her adoring public.  But little old me dares to challenge her and she does not like.  I am really fed up with professional football - to me the whole thing stinks.  I ready to leave Norwich City  and find a friendly and honest club about 6 - 10 leagues down the pyramid where football matters and no it is not because we are struggling - it''s because we never try. Anyone have the courage to join me - if so, get the beers in!!

Thanks Gazza and CA for taking the time to post your fascinating observations on here so quickly.

I''ve never been to an AGM but it sounds as though it was much more uncomfortable for the Board - as it should be after the way they''ve allowed things to slip - than it ever has been in recent years.

Thanks again

[quote user="Keith Roads"]I have to say I really dislike Delia and Michael - as individuals (especially) Delia she seems very big headed always looking for praise from her adoring public.  But little old me dares to challenge her and she does not like.  I am really fed up with professional football - to me the whole thing stinks.  I ready to leave Norwich City  and find a friendly and honest club about 6 - 10 leagues down the pyramid where football matters and no it is not because we are struggling - it''s because we never try. Anyone have the courage to join me - if so, get the beers in!!
[/quote]

Well done Keith - I admired your courage last night particularly as there were calls for you to ''shut up'' (the politer comments). You''re right, Smith bristles at the merest hint of criticism of her / the Board whilst adoring and glorifying in any postive publicity. She has made a series of BAD footballing decisions since 1998 and I have zero confidence in her from that perspective.    

Yes well done Mr Roads, it''s about time someone stood up to that annoying woman, the truth obviously hurts, hopefully she''ll be given a few more home truths at the Diss fans forum in a few weeks time, there will be more real fans there and not as many of the old fogey farmer type people you get at the stage managed agm. It really wouldn''t bother me if she decided to quit tomorrow, if push came to shove someone would come in and buy her out, I''m sure of that. To me she is no better than Chase was in the latter part of his reign and the sooner she goes the better.

Jim Duffy

"he mentioned in response to another question about a Director of Football on the board that he had indeed held that position and he had applied for the job formally."

Sorry for my ignorance but I don''t quite understand this quote.

1) Is he saying he ''held that position'' here or at a previous club? As I thought he was assistant manager.

2) ''applied for the job formally'' is he refereing to a director of football post or the current managers vacany?

Perhaps you could clarify for me Gazza as I''m not sure if i''m misreading or have missed something about Duffy''s employment.

[quote user="Keith Roads"]I have to say I really dislike Delia and Michael - as individuals (especially) Delia she seems very big headed always looking for praise from her adoring public.  But little old me dares to challenge her and she does not like.  I am really fed up with professional football - to me the whole thing stinks.  I ready to leave Norwich City  and find a friendly and honest club about 6 - 10 leagues down the pyramid where football matters and no it is not because we are struggling - it''s because we never try. Anyone have the courage to join me - if so, get the beers in!!
[/quote]

You''re not alone Keith, I''ve started going to King''s Lynn this season.  They''re going eyeballs out for promotion to Conference North/South, third in the table after 10 games (first 8 were away because the stand got flooded out in the summer).  Gates of over 1,000 this season so far, up 30%.  Very competitive and a better standard than I expected tbh.  A team full of characters, and Craig Fleming midfield maestro is a sight not to be missed!  Next home game v. Bromsgrove 3pm 27th October.  Full adult admission is £9 (£10 seated).  Guaranteed not a prawn sandwich in sight! 

[quote user="BBFF"]

Thanks to you both. Looks like NCFC is on its last legs while NCPLC has all the investment it wants and even takes out loans to build roads, all riding on the back of the FOOTBALL club and its 25,000 supporters. Its just another sad day for FOOTBALL at Carrow Rd.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

What uninformed nonsense.

[quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

Thanks so much, you two - really good and illuminating posts.

If you want a metaphor the whole Smith and Jones affair, this is perfect:

"Why do the away fans have to park on the overflow building site carpark which isnt nice to go back to at 2am after a long trip. - cause Delias restaurant guests get the proper car park!"

There''s priorities for you.

[quote user="mystic megson"]

[/quote]

You''re not alone Keith, I''ve started going to King''s Lynn this season.  They''re going eyeballs out for promotion to Conference North/South, third in the table after 10 games (first 8 were away because the stand got flooded out in the summer).  Gates of over 1,000 this season so far, up 30%.  Very competitive and a better standard than I expected tbh.  A team full of characters, and Craig Fleming midfield maestro is a sight not to be missed!  Next home game v. Bromsgrove 3pm 27th October.  Full adult admission is £9 (£10 seated).  Guaranteed not a prawn sandwich in sight! 

[/quote]

This is a good place to start [;)]

http://new.pinkun.com/cs/forums/268/ShowForum.aspx

For the record, Delia always looks a bit edgy at these events, whether things are going well or not. I wouldn''t read too much into it, although it''s safe to assume she didn''t feel as comfortable as she''s have liked.

No Broadie, she doesn''t - she looked more regal than the Queen in our Championship/Premiership year. Ditto the year she was first appointed. Rather more comfortable in a year when there was not a lot of criticism aimed at the people in charge of the club.

Thankyou very much for all the feedback. Hopefully the people that dared to speak out made some impact on the Board, it is always going to be incredably difficult to make your voice heard whan you are in what appears to be a  smalll minority at an AGM.

The headline on the back of the EDP sums the present situation up really," It`s as you were"

Interesting to note the  point about Delia`s body language, clearly she is feeling the heat but will soldier on regardless.

I note what you say about Duffy, the fact he spoke well and appeared confident with the Board, to be honest that`s easy for him at this stage when he hasn`t yet had one game in charge. His demeanour might change if the rotten performances continue.

Regretably I have to agree with others on here, I think the only way there will be  change is if  we get relegated. There are still far too many people willing to take and swallow what`s being served up, the majority will only be shocked into some sort of  public outcry when it`s too late.

Nevertheless, well done to all those that went along and dared to raise a note of criticism!

Well done guys...and knowing how such events are carefully staged it sounds as if you did the rest of us proud.

It''s never easy and while this is just the beginning....the many replies indicate that all sides are starting to come together at last.  While we can''t force them out...we can at least make them feel very uncomfortable.

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

Andrew Turner admittedly seems more solid and candid but did say that ....''PG was just unlucky''!    

[/quote]

I fiond it shocking that someone in his position can say this.  The one thing PG was not is unlucky!  Every ridiculous decision made by the man ringed of a manager with no clue how to manage.

Another thing about last night.  The board told us what a great big favour they are doing us by holding the AGM at Carrow Road on a Thursday evening.  They''re only doing because it''s convenient for us, and they could easily have it in London.  That was fairly near the beginning, long before it began to get tasty.  I could hardly believe my ears - can someone else who was there please confirm that I didn''t imagine it?  [:S]

[quote user="broadie"][quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

[/quote]

Every word true. The problem is not every one wants to look for the truth.

Broadie what do you think the problem is NCFC? you know where I think it is.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST