Sign in to follow this  
ManchesterCanary

Rugby & Football...the stark contrasts!

After watching the Rugby World Cup I cannot help but note the stark difference with the state of our Football game, particularly the national team and NCFC of course;

1. The Passion and Pride that the Rugby team showed was an example to all the overpaid underworked soccer stars.

2. The Effort, Determination and Courage was amazing...relentless, full on, for all the game.

3. Teamwork - no hiding, no sulking, no finger pointing, no recrimination...everyone pulling their weight.

4. No feigning injury...men playing a mans game, not a bunch of girlies falling over and rolling around at the slightest touch

5. No macho hawking up the contents of their lungs or emptying their nostrils every 15 seconds

6. None of the persistent foul mouthed swearing in full view of kids and the voyeuristic TV cameras.

7. No WAGS to be seen anywhere.

8. Respect for the referee! 

9. Dignity in defeat. I was actually proud of them even in defeat. No excuses and no winjing from anybody (despite a very dodgy try decision)...how refreshing and admirable is that? Compare it to the excuses after a typical Norwich game or Wednesday in Russia...blame blame blame, the penalty decision, the pitch, the manager, tactics, substitutions, the pressure, the media, the kit man, the tea lady etc etc...

Our soccer players, with a few exceptions, should hang their heads in shame. I am sick of watching our pampered, overpaid, lazy, egotistical, arrogant, foul mouthed, sulking, so called ''stars''. I hope they took note (if they could pull themselves away from their wags, the bar, their playsatations or the golf course). No chance of course. Enough is enough for me until things change...which I dont think they will.  I suspect thousands more will vote with their feet soon (in fact I think they already are...the empty terraces are getting larger)

one difference and one difference Alone.. the England Rugby team do not get paid to play for their country.. they do it for pride, Passion, because they are patriotic.... the England Footballs team Loyalty would be tested if they werent paid... but at least u''d get internationals who WANTED to play for their country....

Stop paying the England football team and use the players who have the pride.. and aren''t out for the wage packet

jas :)

jas, the england football team do get paid, yet they donate every penny they earn playing for their country to charity. This is somehting which Terry set up about a year ago so they are also playing for free, as do the rugby team.

This brilliant attitude is also upheld by the media too which I think is critical seing as we, the public are influenced by what we read and hear and then take into the game ourselves.

I give you the example of the try that was not given. In the commentary room, Johnson said that the try was not given so they will now get on with winning the game to not make us have to look at this as an excuse. This was also endorsed by another commentator who said that the ref makes his decision on what he sees so right or wrong it doesn''t matter. That''s the decision and there is no going back on it.

The contrast is the over analysis of football refs who are pulled apart by the pundits. I beleieve that this influence is what kids see and take on to the field of play themselves. Pundits have a responsibility here and if they can''t behave with honour then how do we expect the players of the future to do so.

Football can learn alot from rugby and that goes right through the game, especially in the commentary box.