Sign in to follow this  
Sing Up The South Stand

The Delia Myth

I''ve read lotsa posts saying that delia didn''t save the club, and some saying she did.  The whole chase saga came when I started liking football and I can''t really remember it. I started going in 96/97 and can''t remember when or what Delia might or might not have done.

Pleaes could somebody explain what actually happend with Chase selling and Delia joining, whenever she did?

By the way, I''m not one of the people who thinks the sun shines out of deliars bum, complete opposite in fact, I''d just like some clarification.

Thx!

Mark you''re not wrong to call it a myth.  Apart from anything else, what exactly do they mean by "save"?

As I recall, this is what happened.  In March/April 1996 Chase was still in charge but under pressure.  He said he''d sell to someone "who had the club''s best interests at heart" but surprise surprise no one passed the test!  Then Geoffrey Watling stepped in.  He was known as "Mr Norwich City" - involved with the club since the 1950s, stopped us going bust once before and Chairman of the board for many years - so Chase was forced into a corner and eventually sold his shares to Mr Watling on 1st May 2006.  Geoffrey Watling then sold to D&M fairly soon afterwards, whether a few weeks or a few months later I can''t remember now.   

I don''t think anyone really knows whether Geoffrey Watling had already arranged to sell to D&M before he bought Chase out, or whether he would have bought him out anyway and held onto the shares until a suitable buyer came along.  As far as saving the club from bankruptcy is concerned, the crisis that occurred in March 1996, when the bank threatened to foreclose if Chase did not pay off a portion of the debt, was averted when he raised the money by selling Ashley Ward and Jon Newsome on the same day for about £2.5m.  As far as I know that was the closest we ever got to going bust.

Hope that helps.

[:D]

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."]

I''ve read lotsa posts saying that delia didn''t save the club, and some saying she did.  The whole chase saga came when I started liking football and I can''t really remember it. I started going in 96/97 and can''t remember when or what Delia might or might not have done.

Pleaes could somebody explain what actually happend with Chase selling and Delia joining, whenever she did?

By the way, I''m not one of the people who thinks the sun shines out of deliars bum, complete opposite in fact, I''d just like some clarification.

Thx!

[/quote]

This has been explained a hundred times on here...but as we know...myths live on forever despite concrete evidence to the contrary.

It was a cynical PR stunt engineered at the time to rally the troops behind their new leader....nothing more. If you add up the family silver still in the squad following Chase''s departure...add onto that the legacy left to the club by Geoffrey Watling...add onto that the land and other investments Smith and Co. inherited.....take way the small debt at the time of £6 million max....and there you have it. Smith never saved anything....apart from her own fading "B" celebrity status.......

It''s all pure fallacy....believed by fools.

Interesting revisionist versions of what happened.

None of them mention Gordon Bennetts role and his statement that when the club was on the verge of going out of business he approached several local businessmen and women for investment for investments of £500.000. DS and MWJ each put that amount into the club.

And that my friends are the facts and that why the press report that they saved the club.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]

None of them mention Gordon Bennetts role and his statement that when the club was on the verge of going out of business he approached several local businessmen and women for investment for investments of £500.000. DS and MWJ each put that amount into the club.

And that my friends are the facts and that why the press report that they saved the club.

[/quote]looks like they bought cheaply squit - and now they are ruining the club, are reluctant to step aside and sell cheaply.  the smiths can''t have it both ways.  or can they??? saviours and destroyers!

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="A Load of Squit"]

[/quote]

looks like they bought cheaply squit - and now they are ruining the club, are reluctant to step aside and sell cheaply.  the smiths can''t have it both ways.  or can they??? saviours and destroyers!
[/quote]

Quite right. They achieved their 57% shareholding for approx £3.1 million. Why their 59% holding should be worth £8,000,000 is beyond me.

Backwards and Downward!! - We''d be in a lot of trouble if we had to realise £2.5 million from the sale of players today, meanwhile the debt has more than tripled

Sick of this.......add a little bit of inflation and a pinch of bricks and mortar (new Jarrold Stand + new corner) and you will understand roughly why the debt has tripled.