Sign in to follow this  
canary cherub

Profitability in the Premiership

It''s Nerds Corner folks [8-|]

Here''s a table for the Prem season 2004/5 of the 15 clubs whose results I could find.  Information for Aston Villa, Birmingham, Blackburn, Crystal Palace and Southampton was missing or incomplete.

* yes that''s right - Chelsea''s loss was bigger than their turnover! 

** figures skewed by sale/purchase of Wayne Rooney

Turnover £m            Pretax profit/loss         Profit % turnover         Wages % turnover

Arsenal                                  115.08                       18.05                           15.68%                           53.6%

Bolton                                   44.97                          3.49                             7.76%                            55.3%    

Charlton                                40.71                          1.36                             3.34%                            71.0%

Chelsea                                 122.66                      - 132.85 *                      loss                                78.6%

Everton                                 59.95                         23.51**                        39.21%                          51.4%

Fulham                                  36.21                         - 12.30                          loss                                91.5%

Liverpool                              121.05                        9.46                             7.81%                            52.4%

Man City                              60.86                          - 12.40                         loss                                61.4%

Man United                          107.561                      - 8.67**                        loss                                60.8%

Middlesbrough                     51.99                           5.77                             11.11%                          55.1%

Newcastle                            87.09                           0.016                           0.02%                            57.7%

Norwich City                        37.43                           9.17                            24.49%                          45.2%

Portsmouth                           36.04                           3.50                            9.72%                            69.5%

Tottenham                            70.55                           4.91                            6.95%                            47.0%

West Brom                          36.50                           5.00                            13.70%                           57.4%

Mystic - good research and good post. It does appear to support the prudence over ambition view with some evidence as opposed to rants and speculation. My impression is that we gave it a go in the year that we won promotion but could have given it more of a go in the premiership and in the 2 years when we got relegated for instance by taking some older pros on short term contracts in the event that it did not work out.

Interestingly , if you get to the premiership it is still a tough ride financially for many clubs so getting promoted doesn''t necessarily give you a great return. Again by looking at the numbers I''m still of the view that putting money into a champioship football club is for the love and doesn''t make any sense from a financial investment perpective.

To be honest i think the whole football league system needs to have a slight change, the idea of clubs being given so much in the premiership, and so little in the lower leagues. Spreading the funds throughout the whole league system would give a more level playing field. Added to this i think that funds should be given to clubs the further they progress in the cups (similarly to the champs league), i know often the ticket revenue can be a big boost.

I know the clubs in the prem will say its them that the public wants to watch, and that its them that deserves to be there and so are entitled to that revenue. 

[quote user="breaker2"]

To be honest i think the whole football league system needs to have a slight change, the idea of clubs being given so much in the premiership, and so little in the lower leagues. Spreading the funds throughout the whole league system would give a more level playing field. Added to this i think that funds should be given to clubs the further they progress in the cups (similarly to the champs league), i know often the ticket revenue can be a big boost.

I know the clubs in the prem will say its them that the public wants to watch, and that its them that deserves to be there and so are entitled to that revenue. 

[/quote]agree with the sentiments - the prem is an unwieldly and supra-competitive league based on expression of power and vested interest for the few, not the many.  rather like society and the world!certainly, the game plan for the prem is be THE global football league brand - hence the money in it, and the billionaires now owning the teams.  the casualties?? the rest of the english leagues can go suck.

I read a report earlier this week that said that the gap in the Premiership between the top 4 (ie) the Champions League qualifiers-who are bound to be the same 4 clubs for years to come and if one falls away from there, something will be done to make sure they are included after all, remember how the rules were broken for Liverpool?-runs into tens of millions-even the team that finishes 5th is a league away from them in earning potential and sponsorship, reward money etc.

Football now seems to exist primarily for the Champions League, it is the tournament all the European clubs want to be in, all the players want to play in, all the TV companies want to show. Everything else is dwarfed by it, including the World Cup, and players, no matter what they say, value a place in a team in the CL and success in that tournament far above playing for England. It makes me wonder why we are all hoping for a Norwich side that can play and compete in the Prem again when, in all honesty, survival would be the greatest achievement in the clubs history and that we''d never win it or anything anyway.

But I still want us back there! Does the club though, is getting there, staying there, financially insurmountable?

To be honest Champions league just grates in me, you basically have a core amount of teams, and then 4-5 who change. You want to make it better? knock out the whole way through to the final, then the UEFA cup would be better as well, i mean in theory couldnt the premiership have the top 10 in europe?

top four-champs league

fa cup-UEFA

League cup-UEFA

5,6,7 and 8 UEFA?

then intertoto for 9 and 10? this might be a bit out, but you can see the ridiculousness of the competitions, and the thing is as long as theirs the G10 (or whatever) they remain in control, if they wanted they could organise a runaway tournament, which would earn all the T.V revenue. So the powers that be have to keep them sweet, rewarding them with lots of cash, and helping them out when needed, (liverpool 5th and still in champs league), AC Milan being looked on very leniently after the match fixing scandal. And all the while the rich are getting richer, and the poor or unfortunate are getting just that, poorer and more unfortunate.

Ultimate irony, WE are the ones losing out, the real supporter, and WE are the ones who pay for this, watch it, live it and breathe it.

So from the figures available City were the second most profitable club in the Prem in that season. And we finished in the bottom three. We have made over £3million more in profit since we came down in an almost exclusively loss-making league and we are......in the bottom three.

Making a profit is all well and good but if it is achieved by starving the team of funds, we are proving what a foolish, risky strategy it is.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

So from the figures available City were the second most profitable club in the Prem in that season. And we finished in the bottom three. We have made over £3million more in profit since we came down in an almost exclusively loss-making league and we are......in the bottom three.

Making a profit is all well and good but if it is achieved by starving the team of funds, we are proving what a foolish, risky strategy it is.

[/quote]

I had no confidence in the board last season, and was just hoping Mr Grant could do something with all he had to turn around the fortunes on the pitch. He couldn''t. Hope gone. Now to learn (thanks for the facts Mystic, on here and at the AGM) that they made profits and we are dying as a FOOTBALL CLUB is nothing short of scandulous. How is Mr Doncaster still in his job? Foolish and risky are too polite, Mr Carrow.