Sign in to follow this  
Buncey

Bristol City Match - Player ratings

Well I saw there was no thread on here yet about how we did. So how did you lot think we did yesterday?Marshall - 6 - Competant performance. He couldn''t have done much about the goal I feel. Commands his back line well and often told them to push up.Ostemobor - 5 - Didn''t have much to do on that side really. McIndoe wasn''t very good yesterday down their left side (even though he scored) and got a pretty easy game. Really should have got forward more. I didn''t feel him and hucks gelled like him and croft have been, not his fault really.Murray - 5/4 - Did a good job at centre back until drury got injured. He is not a left back though and was very exposed to often for my liking. Doesn''t impose himself on the game enough.Shackell - 6 The best defender of the lot, comfortable and always looked in control. Perhaps he was poor at the goals, but then again when we as stretched as we were it''s difficult to defend against.Drury - 6 - Of what we saw, I think he has again proved he is the best left back at the club, read into that what you will.Hux - 5 - He looks lost on the right hand side and didn''t do much down that side really except during the first 1/4 of the first half. Was more at home down the left and as the game went on looked more threatning however I personally feel he left our left side too exposed at times.Russell - 7 MOM - Says it all when a 7 gets my MOM but he bossed the midfield for me yesterday and was our only threat coming through the middle yesterday. Good passing and running made him a thorn all game. Needs a real inforcer beside him to get the best out of him.Jarvis - 5 - Doesn''t do enough for me. A lot of running, some tackles, and passes but never dominates a midfield or create chances. Bit of a bit part player for me. I hope I am wrong and he is just being wasted but I wasn''t impressed. Lappin - 5 - Some good crossing and set pieces again from him, and that was our biggest threat all match. His passing and movement was better today but he still needs to improve. He lacked support from murray in the early first half. When he went back to left back he looked poor and I am generally concerned as to whether we actually have sufficent cover at left back.Hartson - 5 - Lazy. I am sorry but he was woefully unfit and it took it''s toll later on when we needed someone to harass teir defence and stop them building from the back. He did some good things and had some shots which was good but he only really played for the first 30 minutes and only when the ball came straight to him. Not what we need.Strihavka - 5 - Run around, passed, shot and did everything without ever looking like scoring or ever getting a chance to score. If we had a genuine creative midfield then this boy could score the goals. As it stands we don''t and so no chances for him.Subs:Spillane - 6 - Didn''t have loads to do in my opinion, not really at fault for the goals and looked pretty comofrtable in a strange subsition. Why he came on I don''t know.Croft - 7 - Why he didn''t start I don''t know. It was a crime. When he came on we looked a zillion times better and more balanced. Currently he is one of very few players who look like they want to play football.Martin - 5 - No real effect on the game. Not his fault. Saw very little ball but of what he got look potentially dangerous and made the bristol city players city stand up a bit.Duffy - -1 (or if negatives aint allowed 0.00000000000001) Some awful decisions. No croft. Some strange and mistimed substitions and just generally was mini-Grant. Get rid of this clown now.

Marshall      6  Not much he could do about the goals and OK beyond that

Otsemobor 5  Bright start to the season looks a distant memory,  shaky defensively and non existant going forward

Drury 6 - did well (effort on goal excepted!) until the match turning injury

Murray 4 (6 centre back) He says he cant do left back - why does no one beleive him;  their first goal shows he is right

Shackell 5 MOTM - LMAO;  just about adequate - no better

Hux 7  better on the left than right but we seemed better when he was right...

Jarvis 5 - time for a rest

Russell 5 PU MOTM - did you leve after 15 mins Mr Cuffley???  After that he was woeful, ineffective and lucky not to get booked.  Poor

Lappin 6 better than Russel or Jarvis (not much or saying much) but better than Murray at full back;  worth keeping if only for his set pieces

Dave 6  So he can last 90 mins - full of running but so was andy hughes - needs more end product

Hartson 7   Too big,  so out of match practice.... but linked play well and a candidate for MOTM - his perforance deserved a goal.

Subs

Spillane 4  Complicit in  goals 1 & 3, and shows why he is not picked to play centre back,  played opposition on side too often and lead to 3rd goal eventually.  Cant understand why he wasnt subbed off when Murray came off.

Croft 5 no impact

Martin 5 no impact

Duffy - No Dion, Hux on the right fkank - what was going on??? However Duffy was like the rest of us - happy with the way the game was going,  there was a buzz around the barclay for the first time in months.  And then Drury was injured - and the only excuse I can give Duffy for Murray to left back is that he didnt want to change the front part of our team.  However in doing so he weakened 50% of our defence - the left flank and the centre;  Murray is no left back spillane clearly not a good at centre back as murray (or why would spillane start on the bench).   And from then the game was lost - the midfield sunk deep as the team lost shape and bristol started to dominate.    If the job was duffys for the taking he blew by introducing and then not withdrawing Spillane rather than Croft on.

The midfield were shocking - no challenge for murrays free strike, how many times has that happened??? - and the sooner we sign cover there the quicker we can make progress;  real cover at left back for the now injury prone drury is essential - Murray or lappin simply dont cut it.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Marshall      6  Not much he could do about the goals and OK beyond that

Otsemobor 5  Bright start to the season looks a distant memory,  shaky defensively and non existant going forward

Drury 6 - did well (effort on goal excepted!) until the match turning injury

Murray 4 (6 centre back) He says he cant do left back - why does no one beleive him;  their first goal shows he is right

Shackell 5 MOTM - LMAO;  just about adequate - no better

Hux 7  better on the left than right but we seemed better when he was right...

Jarvis 5 - time for a rest

Russell 5 PU MOTM - did you leve after 15 mins Mr Cuffley???  After that he was woeful, ineffective and lucky not to get booked.  Poor

Lappin 6 better than Russel or Jarvis (not much or saying much) but better than Murray at full back;  worth keeping if only for his set pieces

Dave 6  So he can last 90 mins - full of running but so was andy hughes - needs more end product

Hartson 7   Too big,  so out of match practice.... but linked play well and a candidate for MOTM - his perforance deserved a goal.

Subs

Spillane 4  Complicit in  goals 1 & 3, and shows why he is not picked to play centre back,  played opposition on side too often and lead to 3rd goal eventually.  Cant understand why he wasnt subbed off when Murray came off.

Croft 5 no impact

Martin 5 no impact

Duffy - No Dion, Hux on the right fkank - what was going on??? However Duffy was like the rest of us - happy with the way the game was going,  there was a buzz around the barclay for the first time in months.  And then Drury was injured - and the only excuse I can give Duffy for Murray to left back is that he didnt want to change the front part of our team.  However in doing so he weakened 50% of our defence - the left flank and the centre;  Murray is no left back spillane clearly not a good at centre back as murray (or why would spillane start on the bench).   And from then the game was lost - the midfield sunk deep as the team lost shape and bristol started to dominate.    If the job was duffys for the taking he blew by introducing and then not withdrawing Spillane rather than Croft on.

The midfield were shocking - no challenge for murrays free strike, how many times has that happened??? - and the sooner we sign cover there the quicker we can make progress;  real cover at left back for the now injury prone drury is essential - Murray or lappin simply dont cut it.

[/quote]

Marshall - 6   thouyght he could have done better for first 2 goals. Is our prudence with ambition policy gone so far we can''t afford a cap for him?

Otsemebor -5 Started the season like Edworthy, now looks like Colin.

Drury -6 - shocking attempt at goal but we missed him when he went off.

Shackell 5

Murray 5 - actually felt sorry for him when Duffy proved his incompetence

Huckerby 7 - An improved performance even when playing on the right (sorry Jas The Huckerby Hater!)

Russell 5 - Proving worse than Hughes at giving the ball away]

Jarvis 5 - Was he there?

Strihvaka 5 - The master of blind alleys. I prefer Brown!

Hartson 6- Promising start and then downhill.

I personally though russell played well. Mind you I guess in hindsight he would have looked immense compared to the rest of that sorry state. I dunno, he just seemed to actually care and with hux and strihavka was one of the only players who actually posed the bristol defence any problems.

Marshall - 6  Looked a bit nervy after the first goal, understandable given the situation and the substitutions. Good distribution generally.Otsemobor - 7  Lively, quick, skilful. Seems largely unaffected by the confidence thing.Murray - 6 CB, 3 LB. OK in the middle with Shackell, but terrible at left back. Disastrous change.Shackell - 6.  I wonder if the captaincy is getting to him. He was OK with Murray, but uncertain with Spillane - it''s difficult when he''s had so many partners because of injuries.Drury - 7   More like the Drury of old. The team looked OK until his injury. Hux - 7  One magic moment, worked hard, and generally much better than the rubbish from him in previous games. I thought he looked OK on the right, and certainly the team was a better shape with him there. Russell - 8  I agree with MoM. I thought he was much better than previous games this year - more like the Stoke Rusty. Good balance, good workrate, attacking, one wonderful left foot shot.Jarvis - 5  Let the midfield down. He''s a neat footballer, but went MIA on Saturday. When Russell got forward this left too many holes.Lappin - 7 average game for him, but still provided good chances for Hartson.Hartson - 3  Michelin Boyo is making City an even bigger laughing stock. Surely we can''t be paying his wages?Strihavka - 7  Good touch, good hold-up play, fantastic workrate, didn''t give possession away. Like Brown, but better. Must play, but not with HartsonSpillane - 7  Quality footballer, but parachuted into the wrong position on Saturday IMOCroft - 7  Good effortMartin - 6  Difficult for him with so little time to get into the game. I really want to see him with Strihavka.We played well in the first half (despite what people are saying now) and were rightly applauded at HT. Bristol were allowed too many shots, but they were generally from distance. It only really went wroong when Drury went off. I think it was a catastrophic error to put Murray at LB - why break up a CB partnership that''s working OK? I know Lappin''s good at LMF, but with what we had available, the sensible thing would have been to drop Lappin back to LB, move Huckerby across and bring Croft on. And bring Martin on for Fat Bloke, and Spillane for Jarvis at the same time. So, sadly, I think it''s Duffy''s fault we lost that game. At least the players showed up this time.

[quote user="Fellas"]I personally though russell played well. Mind you I guess in hindsight he would have looked immense compared to the rest of that sorry state. I dunno, he just seemed to actually care and with hux and strihavka was one of the only players who actually posed the bristol defence any problems.
[/quote]Russell does try but there is rarely any end product. Switching Murry to left back when Drury got injured was suicide. Why oh why did Duffy not put Lappin as left back, play Hucks were he does best, left wing and bring on Croft on the right wing. I thought this was the most obvious thing to do. This complete balls up alone tells me Duffy is NOT the right man for the job!