Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Russells comments, truly shocking!!

Read Darel Russells comments today in the paper and i was appalled at the level of negativity surrounding what he had to say. When we went 1-0 down on saturday heads dropped and we played with a ''were doomed'' mentality for the next 20 mins until Hucks dragged us out of it. Its not surprising we played like there was no hope when i read Russells comments today, if thats the attitude he shows and thats his mentality when we go 1-0 down then this will filter thru to the other players as he is in the centre and is supposed to be our all action midfielder that drives us forward.This is a snippet of his comments and sums up his attitude and could well be the reason why were so poor at the moment, seeing as tho he''s played in pretty much every game, and we always seem to start every game really well but as soon as the opposition score its game over and our whole approach falls apart and we go onto lose.1. '''' When it rains, it pours. It''s devastating, to be honest.  I''ve just looked and it''s been more than a month since our last win. I''m just gutted at the minute. Nothing''s going for us. ''''2. '''' You can feel the confidence that we might have built in that first half kind of sucked out of everyone. ''''3. '''' It''s gone wrong again.“It''s unbelievable. You think at least you''re going to grind a draw out of this game.”    (its 1-1, Hucks has just equalised with our first goal for 6 games, were at home, and Russells thinking of grinding out a draw when a 2-1 turnaround should be the only thing on his mind.)Russells comments are shocking, he is focusing on all the negatives and with this attitude were never gonna drag ourselves out of the relegation zone, a pessimistic attitude and not the views of a winner. If this is his attitude when the going gets tough how on earth are we gonna climb the table, were never gonna win another game that we go 1-0 down, Russells head will drop he''ll adopt a ''were doomed'' negative attitude and this will cast a cloud over the rest of the players and we''ll lose the game, as we did on saturday.We need winners at the moment, players who are gonna give 100% and have a never say die attitude, when the chips are down and were really up against it, we need big players to overcome all the obstacles, inspire and drive players around him forward and overturn 1-0 and 2-0 deficits. We need players to clap and clench their fists and shout at the rest of team and demand that they up there game and turn things around. Not let there head drop and think whats the point, were gonna lose now anyway.This is what Russells comments today have translated to me, and thinking back to saturday i didnt notice him upping his game and shouting to lift the team. Heads dropped, and no doubt his was the first to drop the second Bristol scored. Huckerby seemed to be the only one still going for it, the whole team fell flat in the 2nd half after Bristol scored, and we never looked like getting back into it until Huckerby ran his socks off, battled, won the ball back and scored a great goal. Not once this season have I seen Russell do this.You can argue that the whole team dropped their heads, with the exception of Hucks, and you can pick out several players who didnt up their game when we went 1-0 down, but Russell is in the engine room, the heart of the team, his role is crucial and should never give up and lead from the centre, like Gary Holt used to do. One bad seed can ruin a whole batch, and by the same token positivity is infectious. If his head drops then Jarvis'' certainly will, as he is a youngster. He should be turning to Jarvis and shouting '''' C''mon, lets get stuck in and turn this around ''''. Judging by his comments today it doesnt seem like this is what he''s doing and this is appalling.This negative attitude will spread thru the team like a cancer and will undermine the passion and commitment the likes of Huckerby and Strihavka showed on saturday. The article today makes comparisons to when Russell was last playing football in Norwich''s midfield, under Rioch and Hamilton, and we were bottom of the league then. Could this just be a coincidence or a direct result of Russells inclusion in the team. I would be extremely interested in an opinion of Russell from someone close to him. I wonder if he would be described as a glass half empty kinda guy or a positive, always look on the bright side, bag of energy, never know when there beaten kinda guy. If its the former then i dont want him at the club let alone be our experienced leader in centre midfield, as i cant stand pessimistic negative people. Positivity breeds winners, and thats what Norwich need at the moment.I work in sales and if i had a negative guy on my team, who''s head dropped the minute things went wrong and was negative from there, this would have a negative impact on the rest of the team and he would be moved to sit on his own so he didnt ''neg out'' the rest of the team. My team will have a target to reach at the end of the day, and this will be hampered by one negative team player. Positivity is the key, if no sales are got you keep going and never give up til the day is done. PMA is the key, its a mindset, Man Utd have it, they never give up til the final whistle, winning games 5-3 when there 3-0 down at home to Spurs, fighting back from 2-0 down in Turin, and from 1-0 down against Bayern to win 2-1 at the death. They had a certain Mr Keane in there engine room for these games, and its his attitude that wins football matches when your up against it, and its this same attitude that will drag us away from the relegation zone. Can you see the current Norwich team turning games around like this? like we did 4-1 down at home to Boro? No chance at the moment and its not surprising when one of your key players talks so negatively and gives an insight into what was going thru his mind on saturday when Bristol scored, like Russell has today. Ill say it again, positivity breeds winners, Russell sounds like a negative loser.I fear Russells attitude will spell doom for Norwich, the only hope i have is that Smith and Fozzy will kick Russell onto the bench when there fit.OTBC

[quote]

It''s gone wrong again.“It''s unbelievable. You think at least you''re going to grind a draw out of this game.”    (its 1-1, Hucks has just equalised with our first goal for 6 games, were at home, and Russells thinking of grinding out a draw when a 2-1 turnaround should be the only thing on his mind.)OTBC[/quote]

I still would have been disappointed with a draw at home to Bristol City so if the players would have been happy then it shows that they have no mental strength whatsoever.

You are correct hopping for home draws will get you nowhere.

I have said this for a long time - i know russel played well for stoke but he is not the commanding center mid-fielder that Grant wanted to turn Etuhu into - i dont know if the board had tried harder they could have kept him (Etuhu) but our mid-field is getting sh*t on week in week out.

If the midfield conntects the park what the hell are we expecting to win?!?!?!

something tells me Rusty isnt the only one to feel that way... i think the players have given up already.

this can only spell doom come may

jas :)

I fully understand how you feel BarclayMan and I agree totally.  But I try to imagine how I would feel if I were one of the players.  Please don''t misunderstand me, I am not trying to make excuses for Russell or any other player.  But how must it feel when, after having had to put up with ''crazy'' Grant where no one knew from one minute to the next what he wanted them to do, they then get Duffer, who makes the stupid decisions we saw on Saturday?  I too have worked in sales and you are absolutely correct in what you say about the effects of a negative mindset.  That is the most important role of the sales manager, to ensure that such a situation is not allowed to fester and spread to colleagues.  Therein lies the problem at Norwich right now!  That is why it is absolutely imperative that the board get the right man for the job, so the rot is stopped.  Cofidence and positive attitude can return and grow just as quickly as it''s negative opposite.  So much depends on the new man.  Let''s all hope the board get it right or the consequences don''t bare thinking about!  

It''s gone wrong again.“It''s unbelievable. You think at least you''re going to grind a draw out of this game.”    (its 1-1, Hucks has just equalised with our first goal for 6 games, were at home, and Russells thinking of grinding out a draw when a 2-1 turnaround should be the only thing on his mind.)

OTBC

I still would have been disappointed with a draw at home to Bristol City so if the players would have been happy then it shows that they have no mental strength whatsoever.

I think where he says ''at least'' is key =]

[quote user="Dion-In-Disguise"]

[quote]

It''s gone wrong again.“It''s unbelievable. You think at least you''re going to grind a draw out of this game.”    (its 1-1, Hucks has just equalised with our first goal for 6 games, were at home, and Russells thinking of grinding out a draw when a 2-1 turnaround should be the only thing on his mind.)

OTBC
[/quote]

[/quote]

He said "You think AT LEAST you''re going to grind a draw out of this game". He said AT LEAST not AT BEST. Frankly with our current form a draw at home against anyone looks good atm. Sad really but its hard to see where the next win is coming from.

One of the longest posts ever.

I agree, but you cannot compare careers.  People who get into sales do it BECAUSE they are positive people mostly, or it attracts more of them, this is not the case with footballers.

Drogba, Anelka - both moan and b*tch all day, but hey I think I could cope with them over the positive work hard andy hughes!

[quote user="West One Canary"]Do we still have a sports scientist/psychologist at Carrow road/Colney?[/quote]

Yep...I''ve had the job for the last 12 months.....

[quote user="West One Canary"]Do we still have a sports scientist/psychologist at Carrow road/Colney?[/quote]

when we did hvae one he didnt do his job! he was hired to get us fired up for away games... we went the whole season without winning away!.

the managers job is to fire his players up... not some NHS quack the club cant afford

jas :)

Players cant win,......the other month the doc came out and said the opposite.....he was accused of mugging the fans off. Pathetc u lot.....

I think Russell makes sense. Add to there low confidence the booing and silent support it really is a recipe for going down.

[quote user="hogesar"]

It''s gone wrong again.“It''s unbelievable. You think at least you''re going to grind a draw out of this game.”    (its 1-1, Hucks has just equalised with our first goal for 6 games, were at home, and Russells thinking of grinding out a draw when a 2-1 turnaround should be the only thing on his mind.)OTBC

I think where he says ''at least'' is key =]

[/quote]Wondered if someone would comment on the ''''at least''''.The point is Hogesar he shouldnt be contemplating the ''at leasts''. The only think on his mind should be a 2-1 win, not a ''''we should at least get a draw here ''''. Its this kind of settle for mediocrity attitude that is ruining our club. Wheres the ambition, it has to spread thruout the club, from the boardroom to saturday afternoons when were drawing 1-1 at home.

[quote user="paint_me_yellow"][quote user="Dion-In-Disguise"]

[quote]

It''s gone wrong again.“It''s unbelievable. You think at least you''re going to grind a draw out of this game.”    (its 1-1, Hucks has just equalised with our first goal for 6 games, were at home, and Russells thinking of grinding out a draw when a 2-1 turnaround should be the only thing on his mind.)OTBC[/quote]

[/quote]

He said "You think AT LEAST you''re going to grind a draw out of this game". He said AT LEAST not AT BEST. Frankly with our current form a draw at home against anyone looks good atm. Sad really but its hard to see where the next win is coming from.

[/quote]Your completely missing the point paint_me_yellow. He should be thinking of nothing but a 2-1 win, not thinking ''''we should at least get a draw here''''. Your at home, its 1-1, youve got to think, c''mon we can do this, 2-1 and nothing less will do. He was thinking ahead to 90 mins and thinking, great we should at least get a draw. When he should have been thinking, theres 20 mins left, were gonna win this 2-1.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

Players cant win,......the other month the doc came out and said the opposite.....he was accused of mugging the fans off. Pathetc u lot.....

I think Russell makes sense. Add to there low confidence the booing and silent support it really is a recipe for going down.

[/quote]Yeah brilliant cusdp. So if all the players thought like Russell, giving up when the going gets tough where we gonna be? League 1. The only thing thats gonna save us is believing we can do it.

You are all knocking Russell for his comments but what about the comments of Huckerby when he said this is the worse squad he has played in? Is that not likely to knock the confidence of those around him? at least Russell doesn''t shrug his shoulders and hold his hands out when he looses the ball, he tries to get it back. Give him a break.

[quote user="BarclayMan"]Positivity breeds winners, and thats what Norwich need at the moment.

I work in sales and if i had a negative guy on my team, who''s head dropped the minute things went wrong and was negative from there, this would have a negative impact on the rest of the team and he would be moved to sit on his own so he didnt ''neg out'' the rest of the team. My team will have a target to reach at the end of the day, and this will be hampered by one negative team player. Positivity is the key, if no sales are got you keep going and never give up til the day is done.
[/quote]

So should negative fans be moved to sit on their own as well to help get the positivity back at Carrow Road?

''neg out''..-sounds like some classic Americana to me!