Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

We need defenders....not forwards!!!

Is anyone else starting to get worried about our lack of defensive cover at the back?

All we see are midfield and fowards signing for us and although I am pleased with NW''s ambition I feel the likes of Thierry Henry, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Wayne Rooney and others will walse through our defense if something is not done in the near future. I love Craig Fleming, Malky Mackay and Marc Edworthy and they have a big part to play this coming year but we need to strenthen our defense.

NW must know what he is doing...but I am worried!

I''m sure Worthy is trying to sign a defender or two at the moment. But as the signing of Safri proved - we probably won''t know about it until they''ve signed. In the meantime, the papers will link us to anyone and everyone who''s looking for a new club!

greetings from spain! new boy here so be gentle!!! i´ve said this on canarycorner that i don´t think we need to change the defence at all. yes we need some cover but these guys know each others games inside out. they communicate! which is so very important i think. ok, when they have an off day we´ll get stuffed - but i think that if we are more attack minded we´ll frighten teams rigid and it´ll take the pressure off the defence. if we play the same style as last year i think we´re gonners from the start. remember the year we qualified for europe. 7-1 defeat at blackburn followed by 4-0 wins at leeds and 5-0 at everton. that was because we were new and teams didn´t know how to play us and therfore by attacking them we scared the pants off them. the thing we have going for us this year is the suprise element. i´d like to see a quality centre forward brought in and a winger who can run and cross - is this too much to ask! i´ll get my coat now.....

I agree with you Canary Boy. The back four is my biggest concern at the moment. However, I''m sure Worthy knows what he''s doing. His transfer policy seems to be to keep things under wraps so nobody knows anything and then BANG- Surpries us with a signing!! I like it! I''m sure a defender whom we haven''t been linked with at all will grace the Colney training pitch in the next couple of weeks!

Yeah have to agree with you there Canary Boy. Although always signing forwards gets the pulse racing I cant help feeling that Malky especially will be run ragged by most forwards in the Prem including class forwards who play for the less fashionable clubs. The sight of Malky being passed and him continuously tugging on someones shirt giving away free kicks is not one that fills me with optimism.

Agreed, although we must assume he''s working on this. Look at it this way: how many players have we been linked with? About 100. How many players have we signed? 3. It strikes me that there are two groups of players:

1. Players that we are linked with in the media, who we won''t sign.

2. Players we have no idea about, who ''suddenly'' sign.

Put it this way, how many of our recent signings (in the last year... including Huckerby and Crouch) were predicted by the media, without Worthy himself talking about them?

Even the EDP is lazy, just lifting stories off bulletin boards sometimes. I''ve noticed that there can be talk on a bulletin board and it can appear in the paper a few days later. Look at this Johnson thing... this has come from a Forest fanzine right? And suddenly its a hot tip. And the funny thing is, Teamtalk pretty much just lifts stuff from papers. So there you go, you can start a rumour, the EDP will report it as a ''link'' (whatever that means) and then Teamtalk will report that we''re ''locked in a battle to secure XXXs signature''. And so it goes on.

I only imagine whether managers crease up laughing at some of the speculation, or get genuinely p***d off with it?

Ama

Be patient.

1) Worthy will probably sign about 4/5 more players before the start of the season.

2) Its also worth remembering that defending is all about systems, discipline and is a whole team responsibility. I think that we will be stronger in that department than most people think.

3) Luckily we wont be playing Henry, Van N and Shearer every week (even though at the beginning of the season it will feel like it).

Why are you named after a sausage, el chorizo? On second thoughts, you''d better not answer that as too much information might upset us delicate souls on here!!!

well i wanted something spanish and you all know what chorizo is, so i chose that one! and besides it´s like me - hot and spicy with lumps of pig fat in the middle. that doesnt sound very good does it - i´m gonna have to change that i think!

Hot and spicy sounds good. The middle bit doesn''t! I can arrange fitness classes, long-distance, if that would help...that is, if you are trying to tell us something about that particular area. If you''re not, then please accept my apology for reading something into it! Ole! (As opposed to ''Olay'' on that horrid souvenir tankard, of course!)

thanx susie b. actually i´m ok round the middle but you can still come over if u like? u could come over and talk at the las canarias supporters club. ok it doesn´t exist yet, but it soon will do. there are millions of us over here. ok thousands. ok ok hundreds. ok ok ok it´s me and a few mates who i converted when they were drunk! that doesn´t sound too good either does it! anyway back to footy....and i still think we need more strikers. let´s go for the kill. 1-4-3-3 which equates to 1-4-5-1 when defending and that one up front is jimmy floyd!!!