Sign in to follow this  
Sing, Sing, wherever you may be...

Sorry but I warned you all last season this would happen!

My dad thinks my mum is a really wise woman. However, I have come to realise that she is actually just very pessimistic, always predicting the worst possible outcome. When it doesn''t happen, everyone is too happy to notice, but, inevitably, she is occasionally right & gloomily (happily) goes around reminding everyone "I told you so..."

Football is an extremely unpredictable game, that is part of its charm. Even nowadays, non-league clubs occasionally hold their own (or even better) against premiership clubs; who could have foreseen Reading''s success, or Colchester''s or Sunderland''s promotion last Christmas?

My mum is right, though, it will all end in tears.

Eventually.

All things must pass

yes i do have a medal, [O]its in the shape of a clock. if a protest worked every time one took place then lets all hit the streets, much better setting carrow road on fire or digging up the pitch, maybe writing lee oliver waz ere in the turf or getting a posidrive and turning all the seat around (all jokes, none to be taken seriously). what is wrong with my user name? i live in devon, the small village track i live down is muddy as hell and nicknamed by the yocals as the dirtbox and my mums name is delia. she''s my sister.

Lee Oliver wrote - Well if you had not been so rude and blatantly looking for a reaction or argument maybe you would have the respect posters like Nutty nigel earn. Look in the mirror.

I bet no one on this site (including you) can say that they havent read posts that annoy them.  Yours annoyed me, its not the content (most of which I support and agree with) its the ''I told you so'' manner of the delivery that I didn''t like.  And you cant say that you werent looking for a reaction or debate with that post because otherwise there would be no point in posting it in the first place.  Or did you just want everyone to agree with you to give your ego a boost.

[quote user="ron obvious"]

My dad thinks my mum is a really wise woman. However, I have come to realise that she is actually just very pessimistic, always predicting the worst possible outcome. When it doesn''t happen, everyone is too happy to notice, but, inevitably, she is occasionally right & gloomily (happily) goes around reminding everyone "I told you so..."

Football is an extremely unpredictable game, that is part of its charm. Even nowadays, non-league clubs occasionally hold their own (or even better) against premiership clubs; who could have foreseen Reading''s success, or Colchester''s or Sunderland''s promotion last Christmas?

Eventually.

All things must pass

[/quote]

Long-term declines do not happen in football by chance or bad luck. To try to suggest otherwise is a complete cop-out and you know it. Some people could see the writing on the wall as our best players were sold to be replaced with cheapies and freebies and spoke out as the squad grew smaller and weaker as the club declared enormous profits. The fact is these people understand more about the way football works than those of you who are now bitter because you got it so wrong.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="ron obvious"]

Eventually.

All things must pass

[/quote]

Long-term declines do not happen in football by chance or bad luck. To try to suggest otherwise is a complete cop-out and you know it. Some people could see the writing on the wall as our best players were sold to be replaced with cheapies and freebies and spoke out as the squad grew smaller and weaker as the club declared enormous profits. The fact is these people understand more about the way football works than those of you who are now bitter because you got it so wrong.

[/quote]

And the first one to speak out was a certain Nigel Worthington.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="ron obvious"]

Eventually.

All things must pass

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep, as far as i`m concerned Worthington`s "City must pay the going rate" outburst is a modern version of Walker`s "Loosen the purse-strings. If supporters had had the sense back then to focus on where the blame really lay- a board who decided to make massive profits in the transfer market to pump into fixed assets as well as the £7.1million parachute payments- all this could have been nipped in the bud.

As it stands the squad has been allowed to get progressively weaker in a period when the club has been receiving the highest income in it`s history-and shamefully with barely a squeek of opposition from supporters.

[quote user="jimmy500"]

Lee Oliver wrote - Well if you had not been so rude and blatantly looking for a reaction or argument maybe you would have the respect posters like Nutty nigel earn. Look in the mirror.

I bet no one on this site (including you) can say that they havent read posts that annoy them.  Yours annoyed me, its not the content (most of which I support and agree with) its the ''I told you so'' manner of the delivery that I didn''t like.  And you cant say that you werent looking for a reaction or debate with that post because otherwise there would be no point in posting it in the first place.  Or did you just want everyone to agree with you to give your ego a boost.

[/quote]

Sorry to dissapoint you but you wont get any further reaction from me. I find it childish that you want to turn this into a post of " i told you so " so untill you can find something constructive to post there is no point in talking to people like you.

Nutty Nigel-Hope the familys well old friend.

Hello Lee, long time no speak.  I thought you had moved to Welsh Wales, where they don''t have the internet, and that was why you couldn''t keep in touch.  Have they really got a cable as far as Snowdon now ?  That''s the modern world for you.  I hope Arthur''s well, and that he enjoys the Ipswich game.  Do say hello for me, as he doesn''t appear to be about at the moment.  Strange that, you two never being in the same place at the same time...

[quote user="Lee Oliver"][quote user="jimmy500"]

[/quote]

Sorry to dissapoint you but you wont get any further reaction from me. I find it childish that you want to turn this into a post of " i told you so " so untill you can find something constructive to post there is no point in talking to people like you.

[/quote]

Lee - doesn''t ''I told you so'' and ''I warned you'' not mean the same thing? To accuse jimmy500 of turning this thread into something of which it already is, is not only childish in itself, but also pretty stupid really.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="ron obvious"]

Eventually.

All things must pass

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep, as far as i`m concerned Worthington`s "City must pay the going rate" outburst is a modern version of Walker`s "Loosen the purse-strings. If supporters had had the sense back then to focus on where the blame really lay- a board who decided to make massive profits in the transfer market to pump into fixed assets as well as the £7.1million parachute payments- all this could have been nipped in the bud.

As it stands the squad has been allowed to get progressively weaker in a period when the club has been receiving the highest income in it`s history-and shamefully with barely a squeek of opposition from supporters.

[/quote]

Mr. Carrow, whether supporters had the sense or the non-sense back then to focus on where the blame really lies is irrelevant. Supporters of any product, service or sports team will either support or stop supporting their choices. What they can not do is tell other people how and when they should spend their money. The world is filled with people like you who want to tell other people how their money should be spent. You can fill the next 1000 posts you offer with such rhetoric and it will change nothing. Further, you are filled with "wisdom" after the event but offer very little remedy other than money has to be spent or change has to be made. In the States we call such people Monday morning quarterbacks. Yes, from a football perspective things are going poorly for our club at the moment but it''s not the first time and it won''t be the last. And that is true for many clubs beyond Norwich. I would wager the fans of at least 50% of the clubs in the Premiership and the Championship are currently saying the same thing, never mind many in the lower divisions. Don''t misunderstand my input. I sympathize with your feelings as we all want our club to be doing better, not worse. All of us want to share our views on what could or should be done better. However, your statement that this could have all been nipped in the bud if supporters had correctly allocated blame at an earlier date is naive at best.   

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

No, I do not know it. I believe the laws of probability have a much greater influence on marginal situations, such as NCFC''s than you evidently do. If you manage to acheive the position of, say, Manure or Liverpool, then you have enough cash to (ALMOST) guarantee buying yourself out of trouble. This is highly unlikely ever to be an option for Norwich.

And, Ashton apart (who was desperate to go), I''m not at all sure that everyone would agree the "best" players went; there was a hell of a lot of criticism of both Etuthu & Safri - & did the team do any worse when Earnie was injured?

You also assume that nobody attempted to get decent prospects in. I seem to remember at least one or two being approached, but declining to come. You will lay the blame for their refusal at the club''s door, I think there may have been many factors influencing their decision. I''m afraid I''m one of those people who see life as an extremely complex, therefore uncertain, process.

Yankee old boy.  I don''t suppose there is an danger that you are Paul Allen, or possibly one of the 5 dot com millionaires who walked away with more than paper ?

Shame.  We could do with you on our board !

Quite frankly (and personally) the writing has been on the wall since well before our promotion to the Premiership. Docherty ''the Striker'' and a mix ''n'' match of addition''s to bolster the ''Top Flight'' squad.

We weren''t prepared for the Premiership - and we aren''t prepared for the outcome, whatever come May 2008.

This club and its board of Directioneer''s......have disposed of ''onna the pitch'' assets - not too dissimilar to the way that assets - were disposed of under a different regime just over a decade ago......and what benefits have we actually reaped from their departures and their underachieving replacements? 

Are we any better off now? Personally, I don''t think we are. The board are struggling for a solution and their backs are against the wall (which is only 2 feet high) and they''re about to fall backwards over it - and onto their @rses.

Have the fans failed the club? No, don''t think so. But I have a good idea were the problem lies......and I think the buck stops with them.......or the lack of bucks.

In ''hindsight''......would we have been better not to have achieved promotion when we did and carried on peaking and troughing.....than behaving like pools winner ''Viv Nicholson'' in the sixties.....Spend! Spend! Spend! and just end up with ''nowt'' but the memory.

yello i agree with lots of what you say but i honestly believe that we could have stayed up if worthy had played more players in real postions,notably helveg at right back,mcviegh in the hole etc.We were brillant in the weeks leading up to the disaster at craven cottage,if only we had been more confident early on in the season.As for the board they should hold their heads down in disgrace,they are holding the club to ransom to line their own pockets(in my opinion of course).Its about time they realized the fans deserve more than the rubbish we have had so far this season

[quote user="Lee Oliver"][quote user="jimmy500"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nice to see you back Lee . You lovely old boy . I often wondered what had happened to you .Can we hope you are back on here for good ? Believe me i have missed your posts , the content was always full and rich , love to see you back full time mate [Y] Ray .

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

No, I do not know it. I believe the laws of probability have a much greater influence on marginal situations, such as NCFC''s than you evidently do. If you manage to acheive the position of, say, Manure or Liverpool, then you have enough cash to (ALMOST) guarantee buying yourself out of trouble. This is highly unlikely ever to be an option for Norwich.

And, Ashton apart (who was desperate to go), I''m not at all sure that everyone would agree the "best" players went; there was a hell of a lot of criticism of both Etuthu & Safri - & did the team do any worse when Earnie was injured?

You also assume that nobody attempted to get decent prospects in. I seem to remember at least one or two being approached, but declining to come. You will lay the blame for their refusal at the club''s door, I think there may have been many factors influencing their decision. I''m afraid I''m one of those people who see life as an extremely complex, therefore uncertain, process.

[/quote]

Well, to be blunt i think you are in denial. IF the board had done everything in it`s power to bounce back after relegation there would be none of this ill-feeling and Worthington wouldn`t have come out and said "City must pay the going rate" or Charlton "I thought i was joining an ambitious club" Drury "Our squad is ridiculously small" Huckerby "You have to question the ambition of the club". Were all these outbursts for no reason? The club have made £12million in profits whilst the team has spiralled into decline on the pitch. Just perhaps there is a link there?!

On another thread you stated that the board are willing to spend money only on a nailed-on bargain. Presumably the fact that one of those hardly ever comes along in football would explain the gaping holes in the squad over the last few seasons and that we have barely been able to compete when the inevitable injuries have cropped up. You can see with your own eyes what this penny-pinching mentality has left us with and it is not down to random circumstance, it is down to an erosion of talent,skill, belief, passion, direction and confidence in the "football side" at Carrow Rd which has come a distant second to the commercial side.

And the end result is that to get out of the mess this short-sighted miserliness has caused, the club has to gamble quite alot of money. Sheer stupidity.

Welcome back Lee...

Many of us have been stating the same things for an awful long time now.

How about some of us actually doing something about it though now???

[quote user="jimmy500"][quote user="Lee Oliver"]

[quote user="MK Canary"]I''m not saying you''re right or wrong, but what was your opinion of the board when we were in the Play-Off Final against Birmingham and then a couple of seasons later spanking teams thick and fast to win the Championship?

Things have gone wrong and need to be put right asap, but like it or not, the board have had some degree of success. It''s like the Worthy Out campaign all over again - with people popping up saying the board have never done anything for the club and that it''s all been downhill since they took over, which it hasn''t.

The board need to get the next decision right, if not they need to step down - but that''s football. However, Delia did save this club and that mustn''t be forgotten.
[/quote]

Ah yes but didnt a certain Robert Chase lead us into europe and our most succesful period?

It wasnt my intention to come on as an i told you so, just pointing out, some of us could see this coming.

[/quote]

None of you could see this coming, it is all guesswork and speculation.  Isnt hindsight a wonderful thing....

And dont bother with the whole Robert Chase thing, it is totally irrelevant and doesnt make a fart of difference to whats happening now.  Also football is a totally different animal now.

I predict that under this board (lets face it they are going nowhere!!) and with our new manager (Prediction - Aage Hareide) we will finish either just outside or just in the play off zone.  If I get this right I am looking forward to my ''I told you so moment''.

[/quote]

or on the other hand those of us in the know CLEARLY SAW THIS COMING...

Aage Hareide being the new boss???

Shows your knowledge of football up for what it is... no wya, no chance never... why would any body in the right mind give up an international job where they are manager of their own country and a success to manage a struggling team heading for the 3rd tier of English football for the first time in 45 years?

Face it... nobody wants the poisoned chalice of managing this football club at this moment in time (let alone a successful international manager).

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, to be blunt i think you are in denial. IF the board had done everything in it`s power to bounce back after relegation there would be none of this ill-feeling and Worthington wouldn`t have come out and said "City must pay the going rate" or Charlton "I thought i was joining an ambitious club" Drury "Our squad is ridiculously small" Huckerby "You have to question the ambition of the club". Were all these outbursts for no reason? The club have made £12million in profits whilst the team has spiralled into decline on the pitch. Just perhaps there is a link there?!

On another thread you stated that the board are willing to spend money only on a nailed-on bargain. Presumably the fact that one of those hardly ever comes along in football would explain the gaping holes in the squad over the last few seasons and that we have barely been able to compete when the inevitable injuries have cropped up. You can see with your own eyes what this penny-pinching mentality has left us with and it is not down to random circumstance, it is down to an erosion of talent,skill, belief, passion, direction and confidence in the "football side" at Carrow Rd which has come a distant second to the commercial side.

And the end result is that to get out of the mess this short-sighted miserliness has caused, the club has to gamble quite alot of money. Sheer stupidity.

[/quote]

The biggest financial investment any football club can make is being part of the Premiership right now. We have not done that and whilst I think that the prudence option is sometimes wise, the current financial structure of the whole league system makes it even more important that we do that little bit extra to ensure we have the best opportunity of getting there. As it stands, the prudence option is going to put us in a position similar to the clubs we were told about when we looked at over ambition.

[quote user="Lee Oliver"]

[/quote]

You should be a grandad by now if I remember rightly? I got four now! shhhhhhh... don''t tell arrdee [:#] [;)]

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"] Well, to be blunt i think you are in denial. IF the board had done everything in it`s power to bounce back after relegation there would be none of this ill-feeling and Worthington wouldn`t have come out and said "City must pay the going rate" or Charlton "I thought i was joining an ambitious club" Drury "Our squad is ridiculously small" Huckerby "You have to question the ambition of the club". Were all these outbursts for no reason? The club have made £12million in profits whilst the team has spiralled into decline on the pitch. Just perhaps there is a link there?!

[/quote]

Believe it or not, I can actually see both sides of the argument. It is all a question of degree. What hacks me off are the accusations of theft, veiled or otherwise, levelled at the board. I believe this is a complete & utter lie & will defend them against it - unless there is some damn good eveidence to the contrary, not just people pissed off because Delia''s not spending enough of her own money.

I also said on another thread that promotion was a disaster; it wasn''t part of the plan & they didn''t know what to do - I suspect they are constitutionally unable to grab a business opportunity & run with it. Their plan is for sure, safe, slow & steady growth. I am not sure this will work, however. They may well not be the right board to deliver the success everybody wants, but I believe they will leave the club in a sound financial position - that is certainly their intention. Only time will tell.

I would also say that it is easier not to be penny-pinching when it''s not your pennies your pinching

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="jimmy500"][quote user="Lee Oliver"]

[quote user="MK Canary"]I''m not saying you''re right or wrong, but what was your opinion of the board when we were in the Play-Off Final against Birmingham and then a couple of seasons later spanking teams thick and fast to win the Championship?

Things have gone wrong and need to be put right asap, but like it or not, the board have had some degree of success. It''s like the Worthy Out campaign all over again - with people popping up saying the board have never done anything for the club and that it''s all been downhill since they took over, which it hasn''t.

The board need to get the next decision right, if not they need to step down - but that''s football. However, Delia did save this club and that mustn''t be forgotten.
[/quote]

Ah yes but didnt a certain Robert Chase lead us into europe and our most succesful period?

It wasnt my intention to come on as an i told you so, just pointing out, some of us could see this coming.

[/quote]

None of you could see this coming, it is all guesswork and speculation.  Isnt hindsight a wonderful thing....

And dont bother with the whole Robert Chase thing, it is totally irrelevant and doesnt make a fart of difference to whats happening now.  Also football is a totally different animal now.

I predict that under this board (lets face it they are going nowhere!!) and with our new manager (Prediction - Aage Hareide) we will finish either just outside or just in the play off zone.  If I get this right I am looking forward to my ''I told you so moment''.

[/quote]

or on the other hand those of us in the know CLEARLY SAW THIS COMING...

Aage Hareide being the new boss???

Shows your knowledge of football up for what it is... no wya, no chance never... why would any body in the right mind give up an international job where they are manager of their own country and a success to manage a struggling team heading for the 3rd tier of English football for the first time in 45 years?

Face it... nobody wants the poisoned chalice of managing this football club at this moment in time (let alone a successful international manager).

[/quote]

The Aage Hareide thing was misguided, agree, but don''t rule anything out until the new manager signs on the bottom line.  Lets not forget that Hareide has only only got 2 qualification games left then nothing to do until next summer, have you never heard of combined club/international managers.

And my point is, and I am sticking by it that none of you CLEARLY SAW THIS COMING.  You guessed it was coming and got it right, things could have quite easily have been very different.  Unfortunately some of you lot started screaming too early to make your claim of insight credible, after all some of you were complaining during the premiership season.    

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Hello Lee, long time no speak.  I thought you had moved to Welsh Wales, where they don''t have the internet, and that was why you couldn''t keep in touch.  Have they really got a cable as far as Snowdon now ?  That''s the modern world for you.  I hope Arthur''s well, and that he enjoys the Ipswich game.  Do say hello for me, as he doesn''t appear to be about at the moment.  Strange that, you two never being in the same place at the same time...
[/quote]

I do live in wales, i also still have a house in Norwich. You are clearly trying to suggest me and Arthur are 1. I could make the same suggestion about you but that would lower me to your level. Strange you and Neil Doncaster are never about at the same time?

Nutty-Yes i am a happy grandad now my friend, i return to norwich at least every other week to see the little un.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Hello Lee, long time no speak.  I thought you had moved to Welsh Wales, where they don''t have the internet, and that was why you couldn''t keep in touch.  Have they really got a cable as far as Snowdon now ?  That''s the modern world for you.  I hope Arthur''s well, and that he enjoys the Ipswich game.  Do say hello for me, as he doesn''t appear to be about at the moment.  Strange that, you two never being in the same place at the same time...
[/quote]

Oh how silly of me, of course it all makes sense now-me and Lee Oliver are the same person. Idiot.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Oh how silly of me, of course it all makes sense now-me and Lee Oliver are the same person. Idiot.

[/quote]Just as likely as Delia is to be a binner hell-bent on dragging us into league 1, wouldn''t you say, Arthur old chap ?

I have to say that, after all this time, after all the spin, after all the quotes about "getting it right" and "we are taking our time" bla bla bla, they (the Board) really do have to pull a rabbit out of a hat this time. If the new Manager is as underwhelming an appointment as I think it is going to be, an appointment following nearly three weeks of waiting, three weeks of quotes about "high calibre" candidates and names that would "surprise us", then surely we HAVE to let our feelings be known?

Count me in if that is the case. I have defended the status quo on a "better the devil you know" basis, but, at the moment, quite frankly, I''d prefer a new devil, known or not.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]

Just as likely as Delia is to be a binner hell-bent on dragging us into league 1, wouldn''t you say, Arthur old chap ?
[/quote]

No i would call it scraping the barrel mate. The village missing its idiot would do well to look on here and browse over blahblahblahs posts-possible replacement?