Sign in to follow this  
Chabal

Joe Royle

Ipswich fan here (don''t all shout at once!)

Just thought i''d give you an idea on what you can expect from Mr Royle should he return to East Anglia..

Whilst he was never completely accepted by some sections of Town fans, due partly to his Norwich connections and partly to his reputation as a long-ball merchant or a ''has-been'', he was certainly valued and liked by the players at the time. I have still never heard a bad word said about him by any Town player who played under him, which, considering the appalling financial conditions under which he was trying to manage, is testament to his popularity. This in my my view is his strongest quality as a manager - the ability to maintain a happy dressing room who want to play for him.

In the transfer market i felt he was largely poor, Many of his purchases failed to make the grade at Ipswich (Kuqi and DeVos excepted), though how much of that was due to his ability and how much due to our lack of financial clout is debatable. He favoured buying experience over promise, which meant we ended up paying large wages to 30-somethings like Kevin Horlock and Darren Currie who were past their prime. This also extends to his team selections - Royle had a natural preference for experience and the average age of the team was significantly higher during his tenure.

As for style of play, he was much less of a long ball player than some give him credit for, but there was certainly that element to his game. He played a fairly rigid 4-4-2 or occasionally 5-3-2 formation, always with one big man upfront...

If he came to you, i''m sure he''d keep you up but i wouldn''t say he would be a long term choice. Hope this helps!

cheers for that, i dont think we have the money for a manager who is not long term. the board need to go for someone who can steer us out of relegation and then next year mount a challenge for promotion

[quote user="Chabal"]

Ipswich fan here (don''t all shout at once!)

Just thought i''d give you an idea on what you can expect from Mr Royle should he return to East Anglia..

Whilst he was never completely accepted by some sections of Town fans, due partly to his Norwich connections and partly to his reputation as a long-ball merchant or a ''has-been'', he was certainly valued and liked by the players at the time. I have still never heard a bad word said about him by any Town player who played under him, which, considering the appalling financial conditions under which he was trying to manage, is testament to his popularity. This in my my view is his strongest quality as a manager - the ability to maintain a happy dressing room who want to play for him.

In the transfer market i felt he was largely poor, Many of his purchases failed to make the grade at Ipswich (Kuqi and DeVos excepted), though how much of that was due to his ability and how much due to our lack of financial clout is debatable. He favoured buying experience over promise, which meant we ended up paying large wages to 30-somethings like Kevin Horlock and Darren Currie who were past their prime. This also extends to his team selections - Royle had a natural preference for experience and the average age of the team was significantly higher during his tenure.

As for style of play, he was much less of a long ball player than some give him credit for, but there was certainly that element to his game. He played a fairly rigid 4-4-2 or occasionally 5-3-2 formation, always with one big man upfront...

If he came to you, i''m sure he''d keep you up but i wouldn''t say he would be a long term choice. Hope this helps!

[/quote]

my goodness a friendly Ipswich fan, whatever next!

heres royals management stats

Team Nat From To Record
G W L D Win %
Oldham Athletic Flag of England July 14, 1982 November 10, 1994 608 225 218 165 37.00
Everton Flag of England November 10, 1994 March 27, 1997 118 47 35 36 39.83
Manchester City Flag of England February 18, 1998 May 21, 2001 171 74 50 47 43.27
Ipswich Town Flag of England October 28, 2002 May 11, 2006 189 81 60 48 42.85
not bad if u ask me has always won more than lost

the mope i think about it the more i want royle, great track record,good with players plays nice football,the last time he managed town against us they played us of the park!  jewal is unlikely will wait for the bolton job.  bruce would be nice,but we dont know whats he doing, and mad dog my original first choice is probibly a bit to much like grant. so its BIG JOE FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="cartwheel"]

the mope i think about it the more i want royle, great track record,good with players plays nice football,the last time he managed town against us they played us of the park!  jewal is unlikely will wait for the bolton job.  bruce would be nice,but we dont know whats he doing, and mad dog my original first choice is probibly a bit to much like grant. so its BIG JOE FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

What???? Royle is not the way forward I''m afraid. Jewell, Bruce, Hoddle - even Ince if Norwich really wanted to take a gamble - but Royle? Maybe I''m wrong but I don''t think he''d do a good job for us at all

[quote user="cartwheel"]

[/quote]

What???? Royle is not the way forward I''m afraid. Jewell, Bruce, Hoddle - even Ince if Norwich really wanted to take a gamble - but Royle? Maybe I''m wrong but I don''t think he''d do a good job for us at all

I wouldnt be too upset with his appointment but on the other hand I wouldnt be overly excited by it.