Sign in to follow this  
derehamcanary_fan

chase vs delia

why is it everyone assumes that our good times were down to chase, from what i recall we had some fantastic players which we didnt purchase expensivly this is why we did well because we had as strong team that wasnt put together with chases millions, what he did was actually tear that squad apart causing relegation, lacked investment in the team at  a time when he shouldve been investing and he took th club to the brink of recievership and days from being a scarborough ie no more,  he also  didnt back a manger  with finances when he had the chance, he sold our best players and didnt replace em, whered did all this money go hey, where did the money go from the sale of sutton and fox etcwat has delia done, several of you actually slag delia off but was has she done that is so wrong, well heres some stuff shes done right, invested her own money in the club, bailed us out and employed people to actually make th debt manageable which was so out fo control we were days from being closed down under chase, sold of th land to bring in much needed revenue, improved th infrastructure at the club bringing on more revenue, got ticket sales up and gate reciepts up increasing income for the club, she invested in the club when needed at a time we were pushing for promotion, (whos money do you think it was paid for loan fees for svensson, crouch and huckerby, and do u really think that the club made enough to purchase huckerby form selling shares to fans, i reckon she mightve helped out with some cash then to, what else has she done, oh yes allowed for a increase in ground capacity, gotten a improved sponsorship deal for the club, bought in two very wealthy board members with possibility of great investment in the near future, this club is financially stablised under the present board unlike it was under chasein my opinion yes delias reign has had a few mistakes but none to the extent of the likes of nearly closing the club down like chases reign didim not a dlia supporter but i can see the good things shes done for the club aswell as some of the bad things, and saying we had some of the most successfull times under chase is wrong the reason why we had those times down to th players we had which chase had nothing to do with getting in,

oh look 53 views and no reply, wheres th people that slag her off thn saying shes ruined the club, come on have i hit a nerve or does this ring some truths that no one wishes to debate

Chase had done a good job for the club at times and so has this board, but just like this board Chase thought he could replace quality "on the pitch" with 2nd or even 3rd rate and survive, well he couldn''t and nor can this board.

As for the money from Sutton & Co, it kept the club afloat and went to buy land (which this lot sold later to again help keep us afloat) And where did the money from Eerny & Co go.......helped keep the club afloat and to buy more land. What goes around comes around!

Like managers, boards go stale and have to move on, Its time for this board to think about moving on too.

Chase like the present board forgot they run a FOOTBALL club, so sometimes it takes us, the supports to remind them, we did Chase and we will this board to if there is not more "on the pitch" ambition.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

I was a huge critic of Chase when he was in charge, letters in the Pink Un and always on phone in''s when he dared to go on Radio Norfolk.  Let''s not forget he took the club to the brink of extinction, NCFC was days away from going out of business until Delia came to the rescue.  I am sure she would be the first to admit that in recent years she and the rest of the Board have made mistakes, but she does not deserve the unfair criticism that an awful lot of the posters on here give her.  I am not saying that she ought to carry on regardless but it would not be right to chase her out of town.  No contest Chase 0 Delia 1.

[quote user="JC"]

Chase would undoubtedly win.  He is bigger and would look ok in a sumo belt....

[/quote]Never underestimate the power of a handbag  against a portly septuagenarian.  Chase might have a more than considerable weight advantage, but Delia would have the reach.  Coupled with her cab-sav fuelled aggression, I could see Delia ''avin ''im in 5 rounds.

[quote user="Robert Rosario"]I was a huge critic of Chase when he was in charge, letters in the Pink Un and always on phone in''s when he dared to go on Radio Norfolk.  Let''s not forget he took the club to the brink of extinction, NCFC was days away from going out of business until Delia came to the rescue.  I am sure she would be the first to admit that in recent years she and the rest of the Board have made mistakes, but she does not deserve the unfair criticism that an awful lot of the posters on here give her.  I am not saying that she ought to carry on regardless but it would not be right to chase her out of town.  No contest Chase 0 Delia 1.[/quote]

Pure myth yet again....The club was not near extinction...it had merely run out of steam and direction. Smith and Co. just happened to be the first to burst their way into the room because they knew it was a good business opportunity....and boy haven''t they milked it since.

With so much family silver left to sell on Chase''s departure....and such a small overall debt in relation to that family silver....how can this nonsense continue to be pumped out? I find it hard to believe that after all of this time and with so much proof to the contrary...there are still some who can''t work it out.

If I knew what noise a turnip made...I''d write it. As I don''t I''ll just have to resort to my usual baaaaaaahhhhhh!

Let us be sensible here. Yes Delia is not perfect but she has invested in the club millions of her own money which she may never see a return from. Lets be honest there are very few clubs where a financial investment is a good idea. She stepped up to the mark and put her money on the table, as has been pointed out there are not many others willing to do that. Yes on this forum there have been rumours of others BUT no one is willing to say who and if there was someone and the Board told them to get lost are you trying to tell me that they wouldnt go straight to the press to bring pressure on the board.

Delia got Norwich back into the Premiership and gave us some excellent games with star players. Yes it didnt last as long as we liked but there are many other clubs of our calibre who have lost the plot, Nottm Forest and Leeds to name but two. Yes she and the Board made a mistake with Peter Grant, we all make mistakes, the crucial question is what they do next. Get it wrong and we are in deep trouble, get it right and who knows maybe even the play offs.

To all the critics of Delia ask yourself this if you had a few millions how much would you be willing to put into the club. I am very grateful that Delia and her husband stepped up and gave us even a fleeting view of what could be achieved here and I have  enjoyed the highs and lows of promotion and relegation with no regrets. I would rather we had done that than sit in the middle of the Championship season after season.

I personally would prefer a manager who has proved himself with lower league clubs like Martin o''Niell and is ready for a bigger challenge. thats what my head says, my heart would love to give Dion Dublin the job!

Chase 0 - Delia 1 - agreed

For all of Delia''s faults we have never had a repeat of the Newsome/Ward fiasco with players sold on orders of the bank. A little history lesson on Chase - the foundation of the team of the late 80''s was built by Ken Brown before Chase took over. Success in the 80''s was despite the sales of Woods, Watson, Bruce. By the end Chase relegated then bankrupted us.

to be honest would those that are slagging off the board be doing so if we had of stayed in the prem, were they slagging the board off when we got promotion, would they have been slagging them off grant had worked out, this is the thing withg a gamble, every team takes a gamble now and then and sometimes it doesnt pay off thats the problem with a gamble

[quote user="derehamcanary_fan"]to be honest would those that are slagging off the board be doing so if we had of stayed in the prem, were they slagging the board off when we got promotion, would they have been slagging them off grant had worked out, this is the thing withg a gamble, every team takes a gamble now and then and sometimes it doesnt pay off thats the problem with a gamble
[/quote]

yeah but you can''t say that, we wouldnt have wanted worthy out if we had stayed in the prem. we wouldnt have wanted all the crap players out if they were playin well. the situation is that we are not good at the moment and the buck stops with someone. they got rid of worthy and nothing changed, we have to stop the rot and maybe the board have got to look at themselves and think wether they are the best people for the job.

[quote user="Cobain18"]

Delia, she helped us back to the premier league after Chase had almost bankrupted our club a few years back.

[/quote]

Even faced with facts and figures...the myth prevails......

No wonder the stands are still so full of turnips on matchdays.

This has got to be the biggist load of excrement that anyone has ever posted on this site. Delia and Micheal were asked to help this club to avoid administration whereby all assets would have been  be sold to pay off the debts in two weeks for a fraction of their worth. so they put the money in and took £2M  shares that were worth less than buying a bedsit in thetford for a week. since then they have both ploughed a huge amount  money into the club and with an abscence of recognition.unlike most benefactors.  If you look at what happened at leeds, coventry, crystal palace, brighton, and ipswich who all have had to sell their grounds and assets then maybe you will realise that it is a fine finacial line that we are in. If Cluck you are in any doubt about how much impact Delia  and Michael have made to ensure the finacial future of this club then i suggest you take a good long look at the magnificient ground that we own, and Colney that we own plus all  the other property because many clubs including premiership sides would love to have them.. OTBC

[quote user="derehamcanary_fan"]to be honest would those that are slagging off the board be doing so if we had of stayed in the prem, were they slagging the board off when we got promotion, would they have been slagging them off grant had worked out, this is the thing withg a gamble, every team takes a gamble now and then and sometimes it doesnt pay off thats the problem with a gamble
[/quote]

There was no gamble.

The Club bought players they knew could be offloaded  quickly and for good return if we failed in the Prem.

We made vast profits on player trading when we duly sold them on again . (Fact).

The gamble would have been to keep the nucleus of the Prem team for another tilt at promotion. We failed to do this.

We cashed in at the earliest opportunity time and again, that''s not gambling.

Didnt really expect anything less from you sunshine, utter drivel as per.  ''Pure myth'' -  my foot!  Where you actually around supporting the club when Chase was in charge?  Because if he was still here now, well then you would have something to moan about, believe me, now he was a turnip, and made a noise like one.

Simply wrong on all counts - still never let facts get in the way of a good un reasoned rant.

Chase sold David Phillips to pay for the undersoil heating!

Delia et al get castigated for sacrificing football for facilities and fixed assets, well, he did exactly the same. He is now being seen through rose-tinted spectacles, people have forgotten the demonstrations and mounted police at those games it seems! You don''t if you were pushed and threatened by a copper at the time!

For all the vitriole at the current regime, I haven''t seen it come to anything near that just now-though it could be because we are all "sheep" who haven''t seen the light of course! But then again, maybe the non-sheep who HAVE seen the light could lead the way?

Can you imagine Delia saying "...if Robert Earnshaw isn''t here at the start of next season, then neither will I..."?

Chase said that about Chris Sutton AND got away with it for quite a long time!

[quote user="rainbow"]This has got to be the biggist load of excrement that anyone has ever posted on this site. Delia and Micheal were asked to help this club to avoid administration whereby all assets would have been  be sold to pay off the debts in two weeks for a fraction of their worth. so they put the money in and took £2M  shares that were worth less than buying a bedsit in thetford for a week. since then they have both ploughed a huge amount  money into the club and with an abscence of recognition.unlike most benefactors.  If you look at what happened at leeds, coventry, crystal palace, brighton, and ipswich who all have had to sell their grounds and assets then maybe you will realise that it is a fine finacial line that we are in. If Cluck you are in any doubt about how much impact Delia  and Michael have made to ensure the finacial future of this club then i suggest you take a good long look at the magnificient ground that we own, and Colney that we own plus all  the other property because many clubs including premiership sides would love to have them.. OTBC[/quote]

Still the myth continues........

Business has been my life for many many years...and I''ve bought and sold numerous companies which were facing real extinction. I repeat that given the assets left by Robert Chase...NCFC was nowhere near administration. It was a myth put about at the time by Delia Smith''s PR department to galvanise the City supporters and boost the new owners standing with the public. It worked a treat.

As for looking at the stadium? I''d far rather spend my time looking at the team...which after all is what a football club should be about. This is the worst squad I can ever remember at the club....and smacks of the usual neglect of basics in favour of glamour and glitz. All soft furnishings and no roof.... I suspect you are just one of the modern breed who judge a book by it''s cover....not by it''s contents.

Colney?  Wasn''t Robert Chase responsible for this one? Hasn''t Smith just carried on the good work of her predecessor? No points there then...

I''m afraid this is pure spin from another club apologist. It might work on the turnips my friend....but it doesn''t work on someone who smelt the rat very early on and who has a lifetime of knowledge as to how business works.

Smith and Co. bought the club at a bargain price. LOANED the club a limited amout of money while they flogged off the assets and secured Geoffrey Watling''s legacy. Their loans have been repaid very nicely thank you very much...and they will make a handsome wad when they walk away from the club having destroyed it''s prospects.

Yep....well done Smith. We should indeed be grateful.

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="Cobain18"]

Delia, she helped us back to the premier league after Chase had almost bankrupted our club a few years back.

[/quote]

Even faced with facts and figures...the myth prevails......

No wonder the stands are still so full of turnips on matchdays.

[/quote]

What facts and figures? Show me sme facts and figures that prove otherwise. They don''t exist because it''s not a myth

the reason she bought the club so cheap was because the club was in fact near extinction, i mean why would u pay full price for a club that wasnt, the fact is that the bank wanted there money and werent prepared to wait so they wouldve come in and flooged off the assets cheaply, this is what happens, look at scarborough, they were only in 2 mill of debt and they were closed down by the banks wanting there money back, this is the realism and this was bought to light before delia cam into charge,

There is nothing to be debated here - denied perhaps (by the ''Smith worship brigade'') - but you cannot argue with fact.

Fantastic period of football, commencing with saving the club from financial ruin, promotion to the top league in his first year, & eventually ending in relegation after finnishing above half-way in the top division in 7 out of 9 seasons. 2nd in this division with £5.5m debt at end of Chase''s reign.

Smith - disaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

End of debate!.

[quote user="FramCanary"]

There is nothing to be debated here - denied perhaps (by the ''Smith worship brigade'') - but you cannot argue with fact.

Fantastic period of football, commencing with saving the club from financial ruin, promotion to the top league in his first year, & eventually ending in relegation after finnishing above half-way in the top division in 7 out of 9 seasons. 2nd in this division with £5.5m debt at end of Chase''s reign.

Smith - disaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

End of debate!.

[/quote]

Chase left in May 1996, and we certainly weren''t 2nd in this division at the end of that season.

I''m certainly no fan of the naivety of the current board, but lets not make Chase out to be some sort of saint.

Reading through the various posts on here (and indeed views expressed elsewhere) it is quite clear that many of today''s fans grew up during the Chase years and heard stories that moulded their whole outlook on the Board and Delia.

Many of us older one''s on here may have been shoved by policeman, and have been glad to see the back of Chase because of some crass decisions, and his attitude.

HOWEVER what we cannot deny is that he did put the foundations in of the set up that exists today.  It was through his tenure that this Club became more professional and commercially focussed; and his investment in land at Carrow and Colney secured the financial safety of the Club.

Yes the Club''s bank demanded certain things that gave the Club problems, and that is why ultimately he had to go, but how many of us would have kept the Bank off in the preceding years?

It is a very complex story , as indeed the Delia story is too, but don''t just keep harping on about awful Robert Chase without knowing the facts.

Chase or Delia? For me each had their time and now is time for someone else.

[quote user="FramCanary"]

2nd in this division with £5.5m debt at end of Chase''s reign.

[/quote]

Well that is a load of tosh.  And can people please remember most of the debt from the current regime came from building the nice new improved capacity South/Jarrold stand many of you sit in.  Also we had the financial disaster of the digital football deal collapse.

Chase was no saint, some would say more the devil but over all he was somewhere in the middle. My post just compared his time in charge to Munby''s board today. I think both boards had and have good and bad points and on the whole are very similar and that''s why I think Munby''s board has had its day and should consider passing on the honour of controlling NCFC to the next lot of decision makers who ever they are.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

5.5 mil debt - really?

Can you remember all of the players that we had to sell in order to make up the money we had lost?

We were selling on hell of a lot more players then to make up the debt than the current board do now 

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="FramCanary"]

2nd in this division with £5.5m debt at end of Chase''s reign.

[/quote]

Well that is a load of tosh.  And can people please remember most of the debt from the current regime came from building the nice new improved capacity South/Jarrold stand many of you sit in.  Also we had the financial disaster of the digital football deal collapse.

[/quote]

If you ask the Pompey fans (and I have a fair few of them around me right now) if they would prefer a pretty ground to the exciting team they have on the pitch these days....their answer would be the latter every time.

I''d far rather eat a good meal in a tatty restaurant than be dished up with slops in a swish establishment any day. Smith has paid too much attention to the colour of the carpet and not enough to the flood barrier.

As for the digital football deal?....It hasn''t affected Watford...Reading...Portsmouth long term has it?  I''m afraid this is old hat now...and just another crutch to lean on.......Also..haven''t we had some very juicy Premiership money in the mean time?

Chase nearly bankrupted the club and got us relegated. His crimes are beyond words. Do not even compare him to Delia.Whilst all the other clubs around us are crashing and burning we remain strong.Look at palace, they had to buy their ground BACK. Ipswich, coventry, leeds, leicster just to name a few and loads of other club don''t own their gounds 100%, are in massive debts that are unpayable and in all sorts of mess. At least we, who have struggled like them, are in a relatively comofortale position. The football is bad, but it was good not too long ago, which people have forgotten, and with a good manager the good times can roll again.To cry foul that the board have been as bad as chase is awful, please think about what you are saying first.