Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Newell or Burley

We need someone with previous experience in this division.

Mike Newell produced an attractive Luton team on a shoestring that made us look mugs when we played them.  So did George Burley when he was at Ipswich.

Assumiong we won''t appoint Burley then Newell seems the only logical candidate, particularly as Jewell is obviously hanging on for the Bolton job.

Mike Newell, when reading the EDP today i saw his name mentioned, but havent seen much banded around on here. I know Luton got relegated, but think of all the players he had to sell, and the pressure that was put on him. And i know he caused some controvisy with his outburst about female officials, but long before that people were touting him as one of the best young managers in the country, and he built an excellent team, before being made to dismantle it. I would very much welcome him,

Newell - no, overated and would make matters at this club worse.

Burley - if we could get him i''d be delighted, great manager with good experience and record of success at this level.

[quote user="Cobain18"]

Burley - if we could get him i''d be delighted, great manager with good experience and record of success at this level.

[/quote]

Can''t really understand where you''re coming from to say Newell is "overated" but Burley is a "great manager".

Judging by his Luton days Mike Newell has proven to be a very good manager. He put together a very decent team that gave everyone a game with very little money to spend. He also takes no sh*t.

Not saying Burley isn''t an alright manager but there''s never that much of a gulf between them.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Cobain18"]

[/quote]

Can''t really understand where you''re coming from to say Newell is "overated" but Burley is a "great manager".

Judging by his Luton days Mike Newell has proven to be a very good manager. He put together a very decent team that gave everyone a game with very little money to spend. He also takes no sh*t.

Not saying Burley isn''t an alright manager but there''s never that much of a gulf between them.

[/quote]

Luton were relegated

Burley has got Ipswich promoted from the championship and into Europe in the premier league. He was also top of the league with Hearts and would have won the league had it not been for Romanov. With Southampton he managed to keep them midtable WHILE they were going through administration (had Burley not mentioned they were in administrarion you wouldn''t have even noticed (he has steadied them which is what Norwich need) 

[quote user="Cobain18"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Cobain18"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Luton were relegated

Burley has got Ipswich promoted from the championship and into Europe in the premier league. He was also top of the league with Hearts and would have won the league had it not been for Romanov. With Southampton he managed to keep them midtable WHILE they were going through administration (had Burley not mentioned they were in administrarion you wouldn''t have even noticed (he has steadied them which is what Norwich need) 

[/quote]

Luton were climbing this league playing good football until they sold their 5 (five) best players and gave the manager a pittance to replace them with. Look what has happened to us when we sold 3 of ours and gave the manager some cash to replace them...

I believe Newell could have the ability to get a team out of this league.  I would take Burley as manager too!

Yes Luton were relegated, but just look at who they had to sell: Rowan Vine, Curtis Davies, Carlos Edwards, Steve Howard and Kevin Nicholls. And you would have thought with all this money rolling into the club, he would have been allowed to plough plenty back in...no, i believe Mike Newell spent only 1.5m in his entire tenure as Luton Manager. I think he is an excellent manager, thats not to say Burley isn''t an equally excellent manager, but his connections with ipswich and the fact he is currently tied to a club would make him a much harder acquisition. Newell is a free agent and would i believe be a cost effective manager, unlike jewell or bruce who one wold assume command large salaries?

Newell wears his heart on his sleeve and says it how it is and so Smith''s cover would be blown in weeks should he get the job....

So another "yes" man is on his way.......

Look at our team! We''ve sold Earnie, Etuhu and Safri. Selling layers may be an excuse but it doesn''t change the fact that we are where we are, Luton fans would tell you that it doesn''t change the fact Luton were relegated under Newell. Maybe it''s just me - I really dislike Newell as a person so that maybe that makes me a bit biased

"Would Newell join a club owned by a woman ?"

LOL as they say (I used to think this mean Lots of Love !) and why would anyone think that Burley would even allocate a second of his time considering whether to leave Soton for Norwich ? I mean, I ask you ...

[quote user="Cobain18"]Look at our team! We''ve sold Earnie, Etuhu and Safri. Selling layers may be an excuse but it doesn''t change the fact that we are where we are, Luton fans would tell you that it doesn''t change the fact Luton were relegated under Newell. Maybe it''s just me - I really dislike Newell as a person so that maybe that makes me a bit biased[/quote]

No they werent, Newell was sacked many months before relegation.

[quote user="Cobain18"]Look at our team! We''ve sold Earnie, Etuhu and Safri. Selling layers may be an excuse but it doesn''t change the fact that we are where we are, Luton fans would tell you that it doesn''t change the fact Luton were relegated under Newell. Maybe it''s just me - I really dislike Newell as a person so that maybe that makes me a bit biased[/quote]

I think it is just you tbh. I think most people knowNewell is a good manager, if they overlook the odd outburst he might have.