Sign in to follow this  
ManchesterCanary

English football needs restructuring

A new manger will not be a panacea for success at Norwich. The structure of our whole football system is wrong, with a Premiership elite and the gap between it and the championship getting bigger and bigger..

Italy, Spain, Germany and France show us how to do it. For each, money is paramount in football but crucially, unlike England, two divisions matter, not just one. When that is the case, the money is distributed more equitably. The stigma of relegation is less, as is the chance of clubs going bust as they chase success. There is life beyond the elite division and relegation is not the catastrophe it is for clubs dropping from our Premier League into the First Division

Such achievements are made possible by the greater fluidity of the system in those countries; clubs move between the top two divisions much more regularly than here because the top flight is much more accessible to them. And, crucially, they are better able to compete once they get there because the gap in income and playing standards is smaller there.

The whole of football in this country needs a shake up...

Don''t know about the other leagues, but in France there are only two leagues. After that is a semi-professional one, and then it is amateur.

The second league attendances range from an average of 575 for Creteil, a region North of Paris, to 13,000 at Nancy. Most only average 5,000. Even Nantes (our fellow Canaries) who were relegated last year only get 10,000, and they are seen as a big club. There was lost of shock and anger amongst supporters when they went down. I''m not sure of income, but I can''t imagine any of these clubs get a fraction of what a League 1 club gets.

English football needs restructuring. Agreed, but how? The Premier League is now a very powerful brand throughout the world - wherever you go, from South Africa to Canada, if you switch on a TV sports channel you''ll find Middlesborough -v- Everton or Wigan -v- Man City. That means huge income, and the Premier League understandably doesn''t feel inclined to give much of it away, and why would the lesser "at risk" PL Clubs vote to give money to CCC teams who might usurp them? In a way it improves the breed - I think the standard of the best CCC sides has improved in the last decade because of the inducement of promotion. And what is interesting is that the relegated sides rarely bounce straight back now, even though they have much more income than their rivals because of parachute payments. Also, Clubs are still coming up from League1 and getting stuck into the play-off positions straight away. So it''s not all about money, it''s still more a question of building a team.Having said that, I think that we are at a sort of tipping point, where increasing debt will become the only means of survival for Clubs in this division, and the rate of increase in debt will accelerate. That makes it a) less sustainable in the long term, and b) less attractive to the sugar-daddies everyone''s looking for. It''s always been high-risk to borrow to buy "quality" players, but now the stakes are also so high that the combination of the two must make "prudence" more appealing than "ambition". As I see it, the CCC needs to make itself into an appealing brand, and generate its own income. But maybe we should be worrying more about the situation in League 1....

If I were in charge of the football league, I''d be looking to cut my ties with the Premiership.  Let them keep a closed shop and see how long it takes for them to stagnate without true competition.  Rebrand the championship and sell the TV rights to as many foreign TV companies as possible - it''s the 5th most popular league in Europe after all, and the home of truly competitive English football.  Demand that the top 2 spots in the "new" league get the Uefa Cup places that are set aside for 5th and 6th in the Premiership, and remove all 72 clubs from the FA Cup if the top clubs refuse to play ball.  It''s time for some radical thinking, I doubt that anyone would get their heads out of the trough for long enough to try though.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]If I were in charge of the football league, I''d be looking to cut my ties with the Premiership.  Let them keep a closed shop and see how long it takes for them to stagnate without true competition.  Rebrand the championship and sell the TV rights to as many foreign TV companies as possible - it''s the 5th most popular league in Europe after all, and the home of truly competitive English football.  Demand that the top 2 spots in the "new" league get the Uefa Cup places that are set aside for 5th and 6th in the Premiership, and remove all 72 clubs from the FA Cup if the top clubs refuse to play ball.  It''s time for some radical thinking, I doubt that anyone would get their heads out of the trough for long enough to try though.
[/quote]

Really good post blah - I''ll back you with that one.

[quote user="ManchesterCanary"]

A new manger will not be a panacea for success at Norwich. The structure of our whole football system is wrong, with a Premiership elite and the gap between it and the championship getting bigger and bigger..

Italy, Spain, Germany and France show us how to do it. For each, money is paramount in football but crucially, unlike England, two divisions matter, not just one. When that is the case, the money is distributed more equitably. The stigma of relegation is less, as is the chance of clubs going bust as they chase success. There is life beyond the elite division and relegation is not the catastrophe it is for clubs dropping from our Premier League into the First Division

Such achievements are made possible by the greater fluidity of the system in those countries; clubs move between the top two divisions much more regularly than here because the top flight is much more accessible to them. And, crucially, they are better able to compete once they get there because the gap in income and playing standards is smaller there.

The whole of football in this country needs a shake up...

[/quote]

Spain have the premier reserves in their lower leagues (eg. Real Madrid B''s) hence why the FA cup is not a important in Spain or Italy

France only have two leagues

I''m not sure about Germany.

The point is that just because Norwich are in a bad position does not mean that the whole league system needs restructuring. The system is actually one of the best in the world - it is Nowich that needs restructuring

hi this is my first post ,but i have been viewing the web site for a long time now.

this thread is one of the most important on this whole site yet it get''s completely

overlooked. It is time the football league broke away from the premiership instead of

living off thier scraps and as was said , they will soon find out they need us more than

we need them .

How can the system be one of the best in the world when a club has to risk

a loss of  four to five million in a season to get the right players in to have a chance

to get into the premiership. How much did sunderland derby and birmingham spend

last season to go up?