Sign in to follow this  
One Flew Over...

Mick Dennis on Radio 5

We haven''t had this much national airtime in ages!

Mick Dennis on the Simon Mayo show this afternoon:

- has real fear of going down to League 1...accused Mayo of intruding on private grief

- said the only good thing at the moment was that Delia was not "pulling out" of the club

Then Mayo read out some "amusing" email from an Ipswich fan..

He says similar stuff here - http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/full_article.asp?i=1759

[quote user="One Flew Over..."]

- has real fear of going down to League 1...accused Mayo of intruding on private grief

- said the only good thing at the moment was that Delia was not "pulling out" of the club

He says similar stuff here - http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/full_article.asp?i=1759

[/quote]

Dennis is an out-and-out Delia groupie.  He ought to know better.

[quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="One Flew Over..."]

[/quote]

Dennis is an out-and-out Delia groupie.  He ought to know better.

[/quote]

Agreed - the old party line was trotted out again.......''''the club was only hours away from liquidation''.

Once again I ask anyone to cast their minds back to summer ''96. If that WAS the situation then how come NONE of this was made public at the time? If we really were hours away from being closed down (as Dennis says) what the hell were the directors and the club trustees doing in not going public and asking the people of Norwich and Norfolk (and beyond) for donations to save the club??

And IF Smith had had an 11th hour change of mind, the club would have been wound up would it? That would have been negligence of the highest order on the part of those still in charge 11 years ago.     

Yesterday Mayo was using some German word Zushlash or something (anyone know?) that means whatever action you take things just get worse and saying it fitted Norwich City. How right, even if he was taking the pi55 [:(]

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

..the club would have been wound up would it? That would have been negligence of the highest order on the part of those still in charge 11 years ago.     

[/quote]

I think that''s why the board was chased out.

I guess if Delia had pulled out the club would be renting Carrow Road today instead of owning it.

It was probably zugswang - a German chess term meaning that your position is OK but it''s your move and whatever you do will weaken your position.

[quote user="SPat"]Yesterday Mayo was using some German word Zushlash or something (anyone know?) that means whatever action you take things just get worse and saying it fitted Norwich City. How right, even if he was taking the pi55 [:(]
[/quote]I e-mailed the Mayo show and asked if he would like to come down my local and repeat it and got this reply!

"Hi there - "probably not", is the answer - I think the reason he said that was because John Cary, our overall programme editor, is a mad-keen Canaries fan who''s been giving Simon ear-ache about Norwich all day long. Sadly, though, John was away from the desk when Simon said that, so I think all he''s succeded in doing is pissing off a bunch of fans and achieving nothing with John...

But no, Simon isn''t the sort to go and lay it down to a pub-full...

All the best,

Chris Hunter"

We can complain and moan as City fans but Im not putting up with some radio ass wipe taking the pee.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]It was probably zugswang - a German chess term meaning that your position is OK but it''s your move and whatever you do will weaken your position.[/quote]That''s it, thanks!

[quote user="BBFF"]

[quote user="SPat"]Yesterday Mayo was using some German word Zushlash or something (anyone know?) that means whatever action you take things just get worse and saying it fitted Norwich City. How right, even if he was taking the pi55 [:(][/quote]I e-mailed the Mayo show and asked if he would like to come down my local and repeat it and got this reply! "Hi there - "probably not", is the answer - I think the reason he said that was because John Cary, our overall programme editor, is a mad-keen Canaries fan who''s been giving Simon ear-ache about Norwich all day long. Sadly, though, John was away from the desk when Simon said that, so I think all he''s succeded in doing is pissing off a bunch of fans and achieving nothing with John...But no, Simon isn''t the sort to go and lay it down to a pub-full...All the best,Chris Hunter"We can complain and moan as City fans but Im not putting up with some radio ass wipe taking the pee.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST 

[/quote]Ah, we''re in the plop right now, but unless you''re one of the top 5 clubs, there''ll always be ups and downs. I think Mayo''s alright, a bit of mild piss taking''s all par for the course, I''d do the same in his position as would you [6]

[quote user="BBFF"]

We can complain and moan as City fans but Im not putting up with some radio ass wipe taking the pee.

[/quote]

Sounds like a civil reply, to a thinly veiled threat...don''t get so wound up!

Mayo gets grief every week for being a Spurs fan, the best being from Matt Damon during an interview.

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

Agreed - the old party line was trotted out again.......''''the club was only hours away from liquidation''.

Once again I ask anyone to cast their minds back to summer ''96. If that WAS the situation then how come NONE of this was made public at the time? If we really were hours away from being closed down (as Dennis says) what the hell were the directors and the club trustees doing in not going public and asking the people of Norwich and Norfolk (and beyond) for donations to save the club??

And IF Smith had had an 11th hour change of mind, the club would have been wound up would it? That would have been negligence of the highest order on the part of those still in charge 11 years ago.     

[/quote]Come off it, am I the only one who remembers the last minute dash to try to prevent Ian Crook signing for Ipswich? Or the subsequent fine  we got after he signed?

[quote user="Icecream Snow"][quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[/quote]

Come off it, am I the only one who remembers the last minute dash to try to prevent Ian Crook signing for Ipswich? Or the subsequent fine  we got after he signed?

[/quote]

Ehhh?? How on earth did you get from there to here, icecream snow?  And I thought I had a mind like a wonky supermarket trolley . . .

My recollection of 1996 is that the bank were within 24 hours of calling in the loans in March, and that''s why we sold Ashley Ward and John Newsome on the same day at bargain basement prices.  Chase was still in charge at that time.  He was refusing to sell except to anyone who "had the club''s best interests at heart" (haven''t we heard that again a bit more recently?) and then Geoffrey Watling stepped forward.  GW then sold to D&M at a later stage. 

In a nutshell, D&M had absolutely NOTHING to do with saving the club from imminent demise.  It''s a complete myth that I suspect D&M themselves have come to believe in.

The more interesting part of his article is the line that the Turner''s have been taking day-to-day decisions while Delia films her new TV series:"I''ve met them and they are certainly proper City fans who have put in

the years. But they did not strike me as the sort of people who are

anxious to give away a significant wedge of the fortune they have

worked hard to build up"
Dennis tends to put out the ''party line'' (he and Waghorn know which side their bread is buttered and don''t want to risk their positions as ''insiders'') so that''s an interesting aside.Why did the Turners invest at all then? (rhetorical question)

[quote user="mystic megson"]

Ehhh?? How on earth did you get from there to here, icecream snow?  And I thought I had a mind like a wonky supermarket trolley . . .

My recollection of 1996 is that the bank were within 24 hours of calling in the loans in March, and that''s why we sold Ashley Ward and John Newsome on the same day at bargain basement prices.  Chase was still in charge at that time.  He was refusing to sell except to anyone who "had the club''s best interests at heart" (haven''t we heard that again a bit more recently?) and then Geoffrey Watling stepped forward.  GW then sold to D&M at a later stage. 

In a nutshell, D&M had absolutely NOTHING to do with saving the club from imminent demise.  It''s a complete myth that I suspect D&M themselves have come to believe in.

[/quote]

I''m totally off my supermarket trolley mystic. Reading between the lines of your post it seems that the only person who didn''t have the best interests of the club at heart was GW because obviously he didn''t mind selling to people who didn''t "have the clubs best interests at heart". Or so it would seem by some of the stuff posted on here lately.

You are right about D&M not saving the club, I think they put in about .5m each at around that time which is probably about the same sort of investment the turners made this year.

I still believe they all had the clubs best interests at heart and we are all still on the same side. That doesn''t translate into I don''t think mistakes have been made or that I''m happy with the way things are.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="mystic megson"]

[/quote]

I''m totally off my supermarket trolley mystic. Reading between the lines of your post it seems that the only person who didn''t have the best interests of the club at heart was GW because obviously he didn''t mind selling to people who didn''t "have the clubs best interests at heart". Or so it would seem by some of the stuff posted on here lately.

You are right about D&M not saving the club, I think they put in about .5m each at around that time which is probably about the same sort of investment the turners made this year.

I still believe they all had the clubs best interests at heart and we are all still on the same side. That doesn''t translate into I don''t think mistakes have been made or that I''m happy with the way things are.

[/quote]

You''re reading something in that isn''t there nutty.  The point I was trying to make is that "I''ll only sell to someone with the club''s best interests at heart" was an excuse used by Chase to repel several potential boarders before GW came along.  Some of them may have been genuine and some not, but Chase had no intention of selling to anyone.  When GW stepped in he was hoist with  his own petard.  

I think it''s pointless to argue whether or not D&M "have the club''s best interests at heart" because it''s a phrase that sounds good but doesn''t actually mean anything. 

[quote user="mystic megson"][You''re reading something in that isn''t there nutty.  The point I was trying to make is that "I''ll only sell to someone with the club''s best interests at heart" was an excuse used by Chase to repel several potential boarders before GW came along.  Some of them may have been genuine and some not, but Chase had no intention of selling to anyone.  When GW stepped in he was hoist with  his own petard.  

I think it''s pointless to argue whether or not D&M "have the club''s best interests at heart" because it''s a phrase that sounds good but doesn''t actually mean anything. 

[/quote]

Totally agree as long as it means nothing when used by any fan, player, ex-manager or owner. It means something for all of them or nothing for all of them.