Sign in to follow this  
Cobain18

Why are people complaining about Hartson?

FFS we have been subjected to hours of pain in watching Chris Brown this season. John Hartson may have fitness problems (in itself that''s an assumption as he hasn''t played for months) but he can''t be any worse than Brown. If getting Hartson on loan means that Brown doesn''t start that is an improvement! Hartson has experience combined with a past record for goals and class (even if you lose fitness you never lose your class) Brown ............ well he tries hard. Take your pick.

My major worry goes further than Hartson; my worry is that this means Duffy has been appointed which would be a bad appointment. If Duffy hasn''t been appointed I would ask why we have signed a player on loan that isn''t the new manager''s choice, because let''s face it, if we had appointed a new manager it would have been announced by now. The board talk about prudence in securing our long term future; if we don''t make the right choice for manager it will be to the detriment of our long term future.

you''re sounding a touch obsessed about Brown. I for one don''t think he looks too bad. None of our strike force are setting the world alight, the reason being that our midfield is poor. Now, I hope I am wrong in saying this and will be more than happy to eat humble pie but I doubt the Hartson will make any more impact than out current strikers. At least Chris Brown is fit! let''s see how JH gets about.

John Hartson''s career tally of goals =205

Chris Brown''s career tally of goals =20

An interesting stat but one that probably proves nothing, nevertheless an interesting stat, possibly.

I wouldn''t be too worried about pre-empting  the new manager - Hartson is coming for one month initially. If the new manager is here by the time Hartson is due to leave, the player will not be an embarrassment for long.

What I can''t understand is that we have had Peter Grant (Yes I know that he is gone) banging on all season about players like Russell not being match fit or even fit full stop. We could not possibly sign that camaroon central defender for the same reasons, even though Southampton could see no problem and signed him. Now what do we do sign a forward who has not played for EIGHT months!!! So what is all this about. Either Peter Grant was totally wrong on this fitness issue, or Duffy is in signing Hartson.

For me the implications of Duffy Signing players is horrendous.

The Signing of Hartson is equally so. Just leaves me numb. I dont like knocking players before they even play a game. But this I''m lost for words. 

When I saw the news just felt ''What on earth is happening to our club, or something like that! And let out a deep internal scream. No I am not a New Age practicer, but Norwich City could do with a new age, a new dawn a fresh start.

Yes Hartson has a good track record   

[quote user="Matthew Quinn"]

An interesting stat but one that probably proves nothing, nevertheless an interesting stat, possibly.

[/quote]

A stat that proves everything you need to know! Brown can''t hit a barn door and never has been able to; at least Hartson can hit the target!!!

[quote user="Marty"]you''re sounding a touch obsessed about Brown. I for one don''t think he looks too bad. None of our strike force are setting the world alight, the reason being that our midfield is poor. Now, I hope I am wrong in saying this and will be more than happy to eat humble pie but I doubt the Hartson will make any more impact than out current strikers.

At least Chris Brown is fit! let''s see how JH gets about.
[/quote]

The appalling Chris Brown averages 4 goals a season at this level, even fully fit he doesnt look like scoring.  And having seen him play I can understand why.  Its a real shame we signed this guy instaed of say Jon Parkin who went to stoke for a similar fee.

I didn''t even really read the original post. The subject was enough for me.

I don''t really know what to think about the signing but if he only scores one goal but that goal feeds confidence to the team then it''s a good signing. I can not believe people want to criticise this signing. I also can''t believe the amount of hostility against Duffy.

Perhaps Jewell had a read of this message board before deciding whether to come here or not and didn''t like what he saw from a few of the "fans" on here.

[quote user="Cobain18"][quote user="Matthew Quinn"]

[/quote]

A stat that proves everything you need to know! Brown can''t hit a barn door and never has been able to; at least Hartson can hit the target!!!

[/quote]

No chance of Hartson being hit by a ball from Brown then. And Hartson can hit the target once he has wobbled into position and stopped eating long enough to take a shot. 

[/quote]

[/quote]

how can u possibly compare the two stats?! one blokes nearing the end of his career at 32 and the other has yet to hit his peak at 23... granted it looks likely that hartson will prove to have a much more successful career then brown, but to tally career goals at such a different age range is a bit irrelevant

[/quote]

[/quote]I''m glad I have a slightly more scientific mind than you then because based on variables such as age, these stats have no value whatsoever.

[quote user="Philip Ellis"][quote user="Cobain18"][quote user="Matthew Quinn"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

how can u possibly compare the two stats?! one blokes nearing the end of his career at 32 and the other has yet to hit his peak at 23... granted it looks likely that hartson will prove to have a much more successful career then brown, but to tally career goals at such a different age range is a bit irrelevant

[/quote]

Maybe an average of goals scored per game would be a more relevant stat?

And anyway, while we''ve got such a dire midfield the strikers aren''t going to get chances. It''s not a coincidence that Cureton, Strihavka, Brown, Martin, Dublin (and Huckerby? Don''t know if he would count) have only four league goals between them.

A lot of people moaned about us signing Dion and he turned out to be probably our most important player. If the month goes well then use the option of two more months. To many fans do not give players a chance to show what they can do, they expect things to happen straight away. And unless you spend big and get the finished article this is unlikly to happen. I think the real problems are with the midfield, we do not have a player who can put his foot on the ball and dictate the game. Against QPR the midfield gave the ball away far to cheaply and apart from Croft they never looked like creating any chances for our strikers.

The "Traditional Cornish Pasty Shop" and various other fast food establishments dotted around the city centre - are certainly not complaining about Hartson''s arrival.

Things have been on a downward slope since the departure of Mulryne and McVeigh.

Easy answer to your question as to why people are moaning about Hartson.

Because if they aren''t moaning they arent happy.

I hope hartson does well for us.. but a striker needs service.. if he never gets the ball then whats the point of having him here? its been apparent for a few weeks now that we dont have the service for any Cureton... so why will it change now fat boys here?

jas :)

[quote user="cityangel"]Easy answer to your question as to why people are moaning about Hartson.

Because if they aren''t moaning they arent happy.[/quote]

So how does this apply to those of us who don''t regularly moan about anything and everything???

I''ve been a strong supporter of the management and to some degree the board for a long time, yet I''m agreeing that the current situation isn''t good enough.

As for moaning about Hartson, it''s purely for 3 main reasons:

1) I don''t think we need another striker, we simply need to give our current strikers better service

2) I think that signing a player like Hartson indicates a desire to very much continue with long ball football

3) I think Hartson is overrated and overweighted, he''s not played in 8 months and previous to that managed just 6 goals in 24 games (in a very decent West Brom team).

So whilst I''m a very happy person and don''t need to moan to acheive this status, I''m not happy about the signing.

Sorry if it seems like I''ve gone off a bit on this one, but I really don''t like being pidgeon-holed and basically advised that my opinion is irrelevant because other fans have a prediliction towards negativity and moaning.

I really can''t understand the negativity surrounding the Hartson signing, christ, what do people expect?

a) We haven''t scored for 9.5 hours- are we supposed to keep flogging the dead horse that is Chris Brown?

b) It''s outside the transfer window, we''re not going to sign anyone whos in a club''s first team.

c) Beggars can''t be choosers !, I''m suprised we''ve been able to attract anyone here given our situation. If any proffesional footballer watched that sh*te on Monday night, they surely wouldn''t want anything to do with this mess of a club. We can only assume Hartson wasn''t watching !

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I really can''t understand the negativity surrounding the Hartson signing, christ, what do people expect?

a) We haven''t scored for 9.5 hours- are we supposed to keep flogging the dead horse that is Chris Brown?

b) It''s outside the transfer window, we''re not going to sign anyone whos in a club''s first team.

c) Beggars can''t be choosers !, I''m suprised we''ve been able to attract anyone here given our situation. If any proffesional footballer watched that sh*te on Monday night, they surely wouldn''t want anything to do with this mess of a club. We can only assume Hartson wasn''t watching !

[/quote]How about instead of signing an unnecessary striker we concentrate on the main reason why the strikers aren''t scoring - the awful quality of supply from midfield.Chris Brown is not the only striker on our books, Curo, Dublin and Renton are out injured, that still leaves us with Strihavka, Martin, Hucks or even Smart/Jarvis if we choose to recall them.Strihavka really deserves the chance to prove his ability, Martin did pretty well at the back end of last season, and I can see the combination of those two with Hucks and Croft on the wings being a good setup.We simply need to stop the players from lumping hopeful balls forward that 90% of the time, the strikers can do nothing with. Almost all players apart from centre halves and target men prefer the ball in to feet, so how about we start doing it? How can players like Hucks take anyone on if they''re spending half their time bringing the ball down under control?The issue at the minute is with our style of play and motivation, and the quality of final balls to the strikers - absolutely nothing to do with lack of quality in the strikers themselves.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]
We simply need to stop the players from lumping hopeful balls forward that 90% of the time, the strikers can do nothing with.
[/quote]

With respect Indy, with Lardy Boy Harston up front, there will be a sharp increase in lumping high hopeful balls to him, players can''t help it, its natual.

To suggest or wish otherwise, is a tad naive, sorry.

Perhaps this is a dastardly plan- Hartsons come in so we now have something other to complain about instead of the board.

Or maybe its a different agenda, like they''ve realised we''ll never sell Brown so Hartson has come in to make Brown look a little better to Accrington.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]
We simply need to stop the players from lumping hopeful balls forward that 90% of the time, the strikers can do nothing with.
[/quote]

With respect Indy, with Lardy Boy Harston up front, there will be a sharp increase in lumping high hopeful balls to him, players can''t help it, its natual.

To suggest or wish otherwise, is a tad naive, sorry.

[/quote]

Paradoxically, though, this  (very) short attempt at a solution may help longer term. If Hartson bangs a few goals in, the overall team confidence will improve & it is entirely plausible that some of the old Norwich passing game may reappear - when you''re low on confidence you just want to get rid of the  ball as soon as possible, you don''t want the responsibility of even more failure.

Anyway, what NCFC need now is goals, it doesn''t matter how they arrive.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]We simply need to stop the players from lumping hopeful balls forward that 90% of the time, the strikers can do nothing with. [/quote]

To suggest or wish otherwise, is a tad naive, sorry.[/quote]

Returning the level of respect Wiz, but did you actually read either of my replies to this topic???

In my initial post I stated why I personally wasn''t happy about the signing of Hartson, and in the second stated that I felt his signing unncessary as we have enough good strikers already, but that it''s the whole long ball mentality that''s the problem, and you''re quite right in stating that bringing Hartson in will do nothing to rectify this and could actually make it worse.

I''m totally against this signing and in many ways feel it''s indicative of the current turmoil at the club, we''ve moved away from the quality football we used to be known for, so what do we do to sort it out? Bring in a player more suited to the new method instead of rekindling the old...

Sometimes even I despair at some of the decisions.

Ok the main reason for the loan signing of Hartson was that it was a very cheap option, almost like his club is trying to offload him. Norwich finances are far from being able to afford anything but an aging striker. So where soes that leave Norwich? Well 1) If it pays off and Hartson suddenly finds his scoring boots and a bit of fitness to go with that then Duffy has aquired a bargain on the cheap and can extend the loan and 2) If all fails and goes down like the titanic then Duffy wins again as not much is lost in terms of finances and Hartson will be swiftly moved out to the tunes of the Norwich faithful, and possibly by then a new new, better manager would have taken the reings and could have friendly links with other clubs in which he could bring in 1 or 2 quality loan signings of his choice for a resonable figure.

Because this country is populated by miserable gits who are only happy when they''re complaining! Just come home from a break in Spain people are so much happier & freindly over there must be the weather i suppose.Hartson is a fine signing, years of premiership experience, champions league experience, played in Uefa cup final and he''s still got a few years left only a year older than Cureton. He may not be match fit now but give him till Xmas stick him up front with Cureton and we will have one of the best strike partnerships in the league. Shame about our midfield & defense!

Give him until Christmas???? He only has a month on loan so unless i''m correct he''ll be back well before then if he don''t prove useful lol.

[quote user="Steelsilver"]Give him until Christmas???? He only has a month on loan so unless i''m correct he''ll be back well before then if he don''t prove useful lol.[/quote]

We can extend it to December 31 though.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]
Hartson is a fine signing, years of premiership experience, champions league experience, played in Uefa cup final and he''s still got a few years left only a year older than Cureton. He may not be match fit now but give him till Xmas stick him up front with Cureton and we will have one of the best strike partnerships in the league.
[/quote]

He is now completely overweight, unfit and is sooooo slooooooowwwww. 

Having said that he will probably get a couple of goals, which is an improvement on the current striking situation.  And he should enjoy the long ball game we currently employ.

I don''t see Jamie Cureton performing particuarly well in a long ball team - he never has in the past.

we have the option of extending the contract till christmas simply to get him match fit?laughable !!!!!!!!!!!one is assuming johnny boy can actually get fit in the first place.now theres something misguided about that premis, just cant seem to put my finger on it