Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

Tony Pulis!

Front runner according to The Mail (who goit it right on Hartson!), he hasn''t previously been mentioned from what I can recall.

Reid and Newell are other contenders - apparently.

I still think BFJ with a good, up and coming prospect could work well (like Harry and Tony Adams at Pompey) but only IF BFJ has the motivation and steel necessary to stand up to the dressing room upstarts (or should that be ''upstart'').  

Stoke fans apparently want him out even though they are going well, so maybe there is something in this.  You can''t really argue with his experience/record (he''s been managing since 1992, never relegated), but he appears to favour a direct approach which won''t impress...though I didn''t really notice them being too direct last season - I thought they looked quite reasonable, certainly as good as  Derby/Southampton et al.

I think this would be a superb choice. Pulis knows this league inside out and I don''t think we can afford to turn down a candidate so readily simply due to his previous team''s style of play.

No more views out there?

Remember Doomcasters comment along the lines of...........''certain clubs need certain managers at certain times''? Pulis has never been in charge of a relgated team (mind you, first time for everything!).He has a liking for ''direct'' style of play and we have just taken John Hartson. Just a thought.  

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

No more views out there?

Remember Doomcasters comment along the lines of...........''certain clubs need certain managers at certain times''? Pulis has never been in charge of a relgated team (mind you, first time for everything!).He has a liking for ''direct'' style of play and we have just taken John Hartson. Just a thought.  

[/quote]

Will he be the man to Pulis out of this mess?

I''m hoping for someone different, Jewell would be my priority, but if the board and the "Cheep cheap Exec" were to remain, I think he''d do a Martin O''Neill. I want a manager who''s his own man, and will be entirely focused on the squad and the way we should play football and would maintain a professional association with the board - although distance himself from being close chums and attending the occasional ''tea party'' with the major shareholder''s etc.

Although personally, for us to progress, we need to wipe the present slate clean, I''d get rid of Doncaster for starters........Then the ineffective and invisible Chairman......Then the ........etc, etc....

''Change'' is as good as the rest....... 

am i right in thinking Pulis has never been promoted as well?

Stoke always end up mid table.. we need someone who can improve us season after season.. not stagnate us...

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Stoke always end up mid table.. we need someone who can improve us season after season.. not stagnate us...

[/quote]

Jas is right, we don''t want Pulis, I don''t remember him doing anything when he was at Bournemouth either.

pulis would be a great choice, very much in the warnock mould. gets players playing for him,just ask chadders,rusty. as well as hendrie and co last year.who all came in on loan and so nearly got them in the play-offs. and i think this is his second stint at stoke,the first time i think he got them promoted to the championship,before being forced out by the icelandics who took controll.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Mid-table is a damn bit better than where we are now, but I take your point.

A Pulis like character is what we need - experienced in this league, able to get the best out of fairly ordinary players and used to working on a limited budget.  We could do worse although not my first choice.

Pulis would be an interesting appointment, but would Norwich be ambitious enough for him? Or anyone else for that matter?

He''s an interesting choice I''ll say that. Experienced at this level, and gets his teams to play with passion and pace, if not flowing football-certainly had Russell playing out of his skin, as well as doing a Crouch with Lee Hendrie.

But there must be something going on at Stoke for him to consider leaving them for us-maybe we have the potential (ha!) to be a club that can get promoted, where-as at Stoke the infrastructure just isn''t in place-but I though they had wealthy owners?

Latest from Football Rumours this morning doesn''t include him...

This page was last updated: 11:00:58 GMT+1

Rumours regarding new Norwich manager are not even that. Current names being bandied around include those put forward by mischiveous Ipswich fans and optimistic Norwich ones. Here is the truth.

Jim Duffy is clear favourite amongst the board–their sanctioning of his loan move for Hartson is proof of that. Duffy will be interviewed AFTER the other candidates, which will be at the London Hilton tomorrow (Monday). There are four, two in the morning, two in the afternoon and as follows–

AM– Glenn Hoddle, Nigel Pearson
PM– Ian Crook, Peter Reid

Duffy''s interview will be at Carrow Road on Thursday.

The Board were surprised at Hoddles application but do not think they can offer him the funds or salary he would likely expect–hence his being first. Crook may well end up being offered an Assistant Manager role, though Duffy has expressed a desire for BRyan Gunn in that position. Peter Reid fits the bill with his record of promotions, though the Board are worried he has been out of the game for too long.

Pearson is the big outsider, he was recommended to the Board and Ms Smith by Sir Bobby Robson.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

He''s an interesting choice I''ll say that. Experienced at this level, and gets his teams to play with passion and pace, if not flowing football-certainly had Russell playing out of his skin, as well as doing a Crouch with Lee Hendrie.

But there must be something going on at Stoke for him to consider leaving them for us-maybe we have the potential (ha!) to be a club that can get promoted, where-as at Stoke the infrastructure just isn''t in place-but I though they had wealthy owners?

Latest from Football Rumours this morning doesn''t include him...

This page was last updated: 11:00:58 GMT+1

Rumours regarding new Norwich manager are not even that. Current names being bandied around include those put forward by mischiveous Ipswich fans and optimistic Norwich ones. Here is the truth.

Jim Duffy is clear favourite amongst the board–their sanctioning of his loan move for Hartson is proof of that. Duffy will be interviewed AFTER the other candidates, which will be at the London Hilton tomorrow (Monday). There are four, two in the morning, two in the afternoon and as follows–

Duffy''s interview will be at Carrow Road on Thursday.

The Board were surprised at Hoddles application but do not think they can offer him the funds or salary he would likely expect–hence his being first. Crook may well end up being offered an Assistant Manager role, though Duffy has expressed a desire for BRyan Gunn in that position. Peter Reid fits the bill with his record of promotions, though the Board are worried he has been out of the game for too long.

Pearson is the big outsider, he was recommended to the Board and Ms Smith by Sir Bobby Robson.

[/quote]

All this sounds convincing, but football rumours is usually so full of cack you never know what to believe!  You''d imagine that either Pearson or Reid in particular would take a lot of selling to those who are disgruntled, but either could probably do the job. 

[Re: the loan of Hartson, I don''t believe this means anything as much as has been said - QPR signed 3 loan players and I think all after Gregory was sacked.]

Don''t think there is much ''truth'' in this rumour Old Shuck.

Why would Crook come back for another interview only 12 months aftre being interviewed and rejected before!

If Duffy gets the job heaven help us and if he brings Gunn in then we are well and truly ''doomed''. If we are seriously going to look at ex NCFC players then either Bruce or the Bowen / Crook partnership is the way to go.

Here''s the mail link if you''re interestedhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=487392&in_page_id=1779

Stoke fans are always frustrated by Pulis'' refusal to play young players (Martin Paterson proving a fine example at Scunny this year) and as a club that puts a lot of money into our academy, I can''t see Pulis being a popular option for the City board.

Decent manager otherwise but hardly inspiring for us fans is it? Couldn''t see him getting us promoted.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

Peter Reid fits the bill with his record of promotions, though the Board are worried he has been out of the game for too long.

[/quote]

If we appoint Reid then I would lose all hope

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

Front runner according to The Mail (who goit it right on Hartson!), he hasn''t previously been mentioned from what I can recall.

I still think BFJ with a good, up and coming prospect could work well (like Harry and Tony Adams at Pompey) but only IF BFJ has the motivation and steel necessary to stand up to the dressing room upstarts (or should that be ''upstart'').  

[/quote]

I can''t for the life of me think who BFJ is please can someone tell me!

[quote user="C.T "][quote user="Old Shuck"]

Peter Reid fits the bill with his record of promotions, though the Board are worried he has been out of the game for too long.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Of the names listed above, I''d rather have Reid than anyone else.  Hoddle would be a disaster.

[quote user="fuzzyfelt"][quote user="C.T "][quote user="Old Shuck"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Of the names listed above, I''d rather have Reid than anyone else.  Hoddle would be a disaster.

[/quote]

fwiw Dale Gordon named Peter Reid as his preferred choice on Radio Norfolk yesterday.

[quote user="David Freezer"]

Decent manager otherwise but hardly inspiring for us fans is it? Couldn''t see him getting us promoted.

[/quote]

Not something we''ll have to worry about this season though, is it?

I''d have Pulis in a heart beat. He has the experience we need, an impressive record and has really done well with the teams he''s been in. He''s built good, strong sides.

Yes, he can play some unattractive football but frankly we don''t have the luxury of disgarding a candidate who ticks so many other boxes.

[quote user="seahawk"][quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[/quote]

I can''t for the life of me think who BFJ is please can someone tell me!

[/quote]

Big Fat Joe (Royle)

Or Big Fat Jon (Hartson)

Pulis is an average manager. He''s never really done anything special except maybe at the gills. We need a proven manager who can actually ahceive something, not another manager that maybe might do something. We need results.

Add Pulis to the supposed a list containing Hoddle, Reid, Pearson and Crook then for me there is a 60% I won’t be going to anymore games for the foreseeable future, what’s more I’m sure I’m not alone.

Unlike certain perennial ‘I’m not coming back until we get O’Neil as manager’ types who post on this message board this year sees my 32 as a season ticket holder and never in all those years have I ever felt so utterly and completely despondent.  If this really is the best we can attract and more worryingly our board of directors actually think will do a good job then my weekends can better spent wandering round B&Q looking at paint samples.

FOS&J