Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rages

Ugly football

Whilst we don''t wan''t to see this as supporters, I feel that given our current league position and our lack of midfield assurance, combined with our new lump (Hartson) up front, we need to play route one as a temporary measure. I think we need to literally batter our way through games. Taking into account our pretty good defensive record and our current lack of chances up front, I feel that we need to bypass that midfield and allow them to support in attack rather than create the opportunity that they clearly are unable to do at present.

Once we are able to bring in a manager of some credability, we could then look to revert back to building up play as confidence increases.

Any thoughts?

nah, been tried and tested and failed...what they need to do is dock 25% - 50% of wages for every match lost. I bet you''ll see vast improvements in all the players right quick.

My thoughts are that you are probably right. But maybe we should wait and see what sort of performances we get now Grant is gone. Surely our players aren''t quite as bad as the last 6 games suggest... are they?

I have seen most games this season and since the beginning of September I have had the impression that if we play Brown up front the best we can hope for is 0-0 but if we play anyone else up front the best we can hope for is 0-1 or 0-2! So maybe Hartson gives us a best case scenario of 1-0!

The thing about us lacking creativity from midfield has been a valid point but it''s also been a hiding place for the players who haven''t scored goals. Good strikers should be able to create the odd opportunity for themselves.. shouldn''t they?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

The thing about us lacking creativity from midfield has been a valid point but it''s also been a hiding place for the players who haven''t scored goals. Good strikers should be able to create the odd opportunity for themselves.. shouldn''t they?

[/quote]

normally I would agree, but having seen the QPR game, even Rob Earnshaw would struggle to get opportunities in our current side...

As for playing passing football - do we even have any central midfielders who can actually pass the ball competantly?  Also do we have any strikers with any real movement or pace?

Well Norwich did, until some fool named Grant came in and ''sacked'' Safri, Norwich spend 2++ yrs trynna get a decent midfield only for that fool who calls himself a manager comes in and gets rid of Safs and that destroys the midfield stability and creation. Ironic that a few months down the line Grant found himself in following Safri out the club.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

normally I would agree, but having seen the QPR game, even Rob Earnshaw would struggle to get opportunities in our current side...

As for playing passing football - do we even have any central midfielders who can actually pass the ball competantly?  Also do we have any strikers with any real movement or pace?

[/quote]

I thought one of the best midfield performance for passing the ball last season was Fotheringham at Preston. But he has never had a run in the midfield for us to find out. The problem with getting rid of Safri was that he wasn''t replaced. Having said that Etuhu was an even bigger loss and Russell is a poor replacement. We miss Earnshaw too! Etuhu and Earnshaw equal 25/30 goals at this level. Eventually we may find out whether Fotheringham and Smith would have made a difference. Like I have said before, it beggars belief that we couldn''t bring in a short term loan for the midfield when we lost Smith and Fotheringham. I guarantee Worthy would have done. Anybody who could pass the ball would have been better than what we had left so theres no real excuse.

I guarantee Worthy would have done. Anybody who could pass the ball would have been better than what we had left so theres no real excuse.

[/quote]

I dunno...  Took him 2 years to pick up a genuine Right Winger... [;)] Also I seem to remember Simon Charlton playing particuarly badly in a central midfield role a fair few times (and of all places Left Wing one game......).

As you say hopefully Fotheringham or Smith will prove up to the task when fit.  Fozzy has been very Hit, and Miss and Miss and Miss in his few games, he certainly needs a run of games when he gets fit to prove if he is actually any good.

[quote user="Yellow Rages"] we need to play route one as a temporary measure.[/quote]Isn''t that what we ''ave been doin'' for the past three years?

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

I guarantee Worthy would have done. Anybody who could pass the ball would have been better than what we had left so theres no real excuse.

[/quote]

I dunno...  Took him 2 years to pick up a genuine Right Winger... [;)] Also I seem to remember Simon Charlton playing particuarly badly in a central midfield role a fair few times (and of all places Left Wing one game......).

As you say hopefully Fotheringham or Smith will prove up to the task when fit.  Fozzy has been very Hit, and Miss and Miss and Miss in his few games, he certainly needs a run of games when he gets fit to prove if he is actually any good.

[/quote]

I didn''t say he would have loaned someone any good but I honestly believe he would have loaned someone. And anyone would have been better than nobody at all. Worthy made a lot of mistakes in the loan market, Elvis, Lisbie and Benjamin spring to mind, but he always tried.

Losing those two players really did leave us short in the centre of midfield but it wasn''t just Grant who didn''t seem to see it, most posters on here were still whining about getting a centreback on loan to replace The Doc!

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Foggy , don''t forget his right back game at Blackburn .[:''(] arrdee