Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

why did we spend £750,000 on a new pitch???

looking back, crazy to spend 3/4 mil on a new pitch upon promotion without having enough money to properly replace iwan up front and as a result drafting the doc to play upfront in the prem, rather than taking a tilt at ashton or crouch.  lets face it, the old one could''ve done for one more year - it was hardly a ploughed field was it?? chelsea always seem to be ripping theirs up in comparison.pompy''s ground is still rubbish, but at least they''re watching the prem every other week???i can''t help thinking, like with chase, we''ve got a great ground and updated training facilities, and mediocre champs football - big on stadia - small on team mentality.

The only thing this new pitch gave was the opposing prem teams a better surface to impose their quality on us.  We probably would have been better off with a crap pitch.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.  The fact is with the new stand, the pitch was way too far to one side, and they did what they thought was right at the time.  Are you sure it was 3/4 of a mill?  i thought it was 250k?  We can be here all day though looking for things that could of done better - why did we sign Jonson, why did we not sign Ashton at the start of the season, y didnt we beat palace on the first day - we would of had 2 extra points.......

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]

i can''t help thinking, like with chase, we''ve got a great ground and updated training facilities, and mediocre champs football - big on stadia - small on team mentality.

[/quote]

To quote a phrase that summed up the Chase debacle in 1995: "All Fur Coat and No Knickers" (or should that be "kickers" . . .?)

I''m not 100% sure but, I think you will find NCFC had to up grade the pitch as part of gaining promotion to the Premiership. You will find that there is a minimum standard of pitch required.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[quote user="gissing canary"]

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. 
[/quote]

Why do people keep saying this around our club - with reference to almost every decision made at the top in recent years.

[/quote]

Exactly. It`s incredible that people seem happy to allow the board to make mistake after mistake after mistake with just a shrug of the shoulders and the old "hindsight is a wonderful thing" platitude. We are constantly told that a football club should be run like any other business, yet if any other group of directors had cocked up as royally as ours they would have been out on their ear months ago.

The brand new ticket office and £4million infill are going to look a bit silly with sub-20,000 crowds over the forthcoming years.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

Why do people keep saying this around our club - with reference to almost every decision made at the top in recent years.

[/quote]

Exactly. It`s incredible that people seem happy to allow the board to make mistake after mistake after mistake with just a shrug of the shoulders and the old "hindsight is a wonderful thing" platitude. We are constantly told that a football club should be run like any other business, yet if any other group of directors had cocked up as royally as ours they would have been out on their ear months ago.

The brand new ticket office and £4million infill are going to look a bit silly with sub-20,000 crowds over the forthcoming years.

[/quote]

Whoa there.  I do think the board have made many poor decisions, mostly since we got relegated, however I think blaming them for everything is crazy!  You are complaining about the infill??  When most of the people on here dont want a hotel, but another infill!!

My point was, at the time I believe with the information they had available that they on this occasion made the right call.  I personally would be gutted had we gone up, tanked all the cash on players who then left when we got relegated, so had nothing to show for it.  You have to make the premiership work for you, spend the majority of the money on players and wages, but use some to boost the longterm future of the club - I personally think we should have aimed to pay off more of the short term debt - forget the longterm mortgages, but the short high interest stuff.

I am not happy with the situation at all - but I think hating everything the board do is wrong.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It reflects the attitudes of those who having defended the indefencible for far too long cannot accept now that they failed to see the writing on the wall. "Chance" has had nothing to do with our critical situation....but weakness of leadership and general ineptness has.

It''s a denial of their own short-sightedness basically.

[quote user="gissing canary"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Whoa there.  I do think the board have made many poor decisions, mostly since we got relegated, however I think blaming them for everything is crazy!  You are complaining about the infill??  When most of the people on here dont want a hotel, but another infill!!

My point was, at the time I believe with the information they had available that they on this occasion made the right call.  I personally would be gutted had we gone up, tanked all the cash on players who then left when we got relegated, so had nothing to show for it.  You have to make the premiership work for you, spend the majority of the money on players and wages, but use some to boost the longterm future of the club - I personally think we should have aimed to pay off more of the short term debt - forget the longterm mortgages, but the short high interest stuff.

I am not happy with the situation at all - but I think hating everything the board do is wrong.

[/quote]

We mere supporters do not know the ins and outs of the projects the club undertake or what their impact is likely to be long-term. I was all for the infill, as on the face of it £4million out of a guaranteed £30+million over three years looked negligable. I had no idea that the short-term loans the board took on to fund this and many other ventures such as land speculation would cripple the clubs ability to compete in a cash-strapped league. Doncaster is very well paid to make these decisions and he, along with the board, got them wrong.

Nobody wants the club to pump money into another infill. But having a hotel there means there can never be one in the future and that is what makes alot of people angry.

By the way, when several of the players left after relegation, rather than having "nothing to show for it", we actually had £10million to show for it. Not bad eh? West Brom have just raked in about £12million selling off their Prem assets and that is funding a good push for promotion. If you want to know where ours went go and have a look at the new ticket office, new road, stand refit and offices being built to let out.

[quote user="gissing canary"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

all academic with the attendances dwindling though isnt it.... we will be down to 18,000 crowds before the end of the season and 15,000 crowds next season... the good old days... only with 10,000 empty seats.

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="gissing canary"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

all academic with the attendances dwindling though isnt it.... we will be down to 18,000 crowds before the end of the season and 15,000 crowds next season... the good old days... only with 10,000 empty seats.

jas :)

[/quote]

Then watch them clamour for the "casuals" they did their best to exclude......