Sign in to follow this  
Bernard  Futter

WHEN SWEARING IS NOT ENOUGH

I must defer to Neil Adams''s first hand knowledge of pro football, but I am staggered by his candidture of his old chum Peter Reid.

All manager''s dip in to a bag of pyschological tricks (prime exponent Brian Clough) to either intimidate or cajole players to perform above their station.

As the excellent TV documentary a few years ago showed, Peter Reid would seem to have one trick in his locker - abuse.

Sure, it may work in the short term, but as soon as the fear factor wears off players will stop playing for him.

It wouldn''t be so bad if he had sent his teams out to play in the grand style but kick and rush hustlers sums up a typical Peter Reid prepared side for me!

I completely agree BF. Peter Reid would get our team nowhere fast. Someone who has real communication skills will always be able to get more ot of the players than one trick ponies like Reid. Mind you, I do despair at the lack of quality managers being talked about as replacements for PG. Peter Taylor would be a good bet, but after that???

OTBC

[quote user="Bernard Futter"]I must defer to Neil Adams''s first hand knowledge of pro football, but I am staggered by his candidture of his old chum Peter Reid. All manager''s dip in to a bag of pyschological tricks (prime exponent Brian Clough) to either intimidate or cajole players to perform above their station. As the excellent TV documentary a few years ago showed, Peter Reid would seem to have one trick in his locker - abuse. Sure, it may work in the short term, but as soon as the fear factor wears off players will stop playing for him. It wouldn''t be so bad if he had sent his teams out to play in the grand style but kick and rush hustlers sums up a typical Peter Reid prepared side for me![/quote]

Totally agree Bernard. I can''t believe we would consider apppointing Peter Reid. Lets hope they stick to Dave Stringer and don''t turn to Neil Adams for advice.

[quote user="Bernard Futter"]I must defer to Neil Adams''s first hand knowledge of pro football, but I am staggered by his candidture of his old chum Peter Reid. All manager''s dip in to a bag of pyschological tricks (prime exponent Brian Clough) to either intimidate or cajole players to perform above their station. As the excellent TV documentary a few years ago showed, Peter Reid would seem to have one trick in his locker - abuse. Sure, it may work in the short term, but as soon as the fear factor wears off players will stop playing for him. It wouldn''t be so bad if he had sent his teams out to play in the grand style but kick and rush hustlers sums up a typical Peter Reid prepared side for me![/quote]

i watched that documentary.. i can remember ''Chimp'' (Reid) and Alex Rae squaring up to each other in a half time Bust up... Id sooner of been alex Rae then Reid... he must of wanted to nut him! cant see that sort of approach getting results TBh.. ok occasionally every manager will lose it.. and probably rightly so.... but the Mourinho/Wenger approach is what pays off.

jas :)

We need a manager who is going to build and encourage confidence rather than someone who is going to smash what little is left out of the players.

It can take longer to build than it can to destroy.