Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

On a lighter note........

I was listening to the radio lastnight when i heard a commentator say ''He would have to be like Lindford Christie with Ben Johnsons chemist to get that ball'' Class! Surely they think of these quotes before hand? Anybody else know of any good ones?

One of my favourite''s is the Murray Walker classic "The car in front is unique - apart from the one behind which is identical".....

Or - "Were the presents those 3 wise men brought Jesus for Christmas or his birthday?"

Not sport related but made me chuckle. When we were driving to the game Tuesday night we had Radio Norfolk on for the game. Before the programme started at seven they had the travel news. The announcer said there would be delays on the Norwich to Liverpool Street line because of ''seasonal track adhesion problems''.

That would be leaves then.......................

I can''t remember the quote exactly but there was one i think Kevin Keegan said which went "There were just two reasons we lost tonight - lack of effort, lack of confidence and a lack of control" (thats 3 reasons, Kev)

There was another I remember where the comentator to a football match said "And the final score is Liverpool 3 Newcastle 1 Bolton Wonderers 0" (how 3 teams can play in one match is beyond me)

One I remember hearing about from the dim and distant past was during a snooker final, the commentator said

"For those watching in black and white, the blue is the ball behind the pink!!"

(Anyone remember black and white tellies!!?)

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I

just squandered"

George Best.John Lambie, Partick Thistle manager, when told a concussed striker

did not know who he was."That''s great, tell him he''s Pele and get him back on."

"What will you do when you leave football, Jack -- will you stay in

football?"

STUART HALL, Radio 5 Live"I was saying the other day, how often the most vulnerable area for

goalies is between their legs..."

ANDY GRAY, Sky SportsAnd many more besides if you click here...

Harry Carpenter after the 1977 boat race is attributed with the following :-

"Ah, isn''t that nice, the wife of the Cambridge President is kissing the cox of the Oxford Crew". [+o(][:#]

All from the mouth of the one and only Sid Waddell.

"Eat your heart out Harold Pinter, we''ve got drama with a capital D in Essex."

"If we''d had Phil Taylor at Hastings against the Normans, they''d have gone home."

"Even Hypotenuse would have trouble working out these angles."

"There''s only one word for that - magic darts."

"He is as slick as minestrone soup."

"That was like throwing three pickled onions into a thimble."

"When Alexander of Macedonia was 33 he cried salt tears becuase there were no more worlds to conquer.....Bristow is only 27."

There are more here if you''re interested - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Waddell

At a foggy boat race - "I can''t tell who is winning, but its either Oxford or Cambridge"

sid waddell"There''s only one word for that - magic darts!"or “When Alexander of Macedonia was 33, he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer..... Bristow''s only 27.”and as my 95 year old nana says, "i intend to live forever- so far so good"

Murray Walker: "the Ascari chicane is named after that great Italian driver of the 1950''s - Alberto Chicane"

Sky Sports'' Ian Darke as Reading scored the last goal of that 7-4 at Fratton Park:"I''m starting to run out of fingers!"

Murray Walker

"He''s obviously gone in for a wheel change. I say obviously because I can''t see it"

"With half the race gone, there is half the race still to go"

"Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna''s Lotus sounding rough ?"

"Anything happens in Grand Prix racing and it usually does"

"Alboreto has dropped back up to fifth place"

"As you look at the first four, the significant thing is that Alboreto is 5th"

"I can''t imagine what kind of problem Senna has. I imagine it must be some sort of grip problem"

"He is shedding buckets of adrenalin in that car"

"It''s raining and the track is wet"

"...and he''s lost both right front tyres"

Not quotes as such but still good all the same. Some Gordon Strachan interviews....

Reporter: Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are the right man to turn things around?
Strachan: No. I was asked if I thought I was the right man for the job and I said, "No, I think they should have got George Graham because I''m useless."

Reporter: Is that your best start to a season?
Strachan: Well I''ve still got a job so it''s far better than the Coventry one, that''s for sure.

Reporter: Are you getting where you want to be with this team?
Strachan: We''re not doing bad. What do you expect us to be like? We were eighth in the league last year, in the cup final and we got into Europe. I don''t know where you expect me to get to. Do you expect us to win the Champions League?

Reporter: Gordon, you must be delighted with that result?
Strachan: You''re spot on! You can read me like a book.

Strachan: I''ve got more important things to think about. I''ve got a yogurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today. That can be my priority rather than Agustin Delgado.

Reporter: This might sound like a daft question, but you''ll be happy to get your first win under your belt, won''t you?
Strachan: You''re right. It is a daft question. I''m not even going to bother answering that one. It is a daft question, you''re spot on there.

Reporter: Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?
Strachan: No, I''m just going to crumble like a wreck. I''ll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump of a bridge. Umm, I think I can take it, yeah.

Reporter: There''s no negative vibes or negative feelings here?
Strachan: Apart from yourself, we''re all quite positive round here. I''m going to whack you over the head with a big stick, down negative man, down.

Reporter: Where will Marion Pahars fit into the team line-up?
Strachan: Not telling you! It''s a secret.

Reporter: You don''t take losing lightly, do you Gordon?
Strachan: I don''t take stupid comments lightly either.

Reporter: So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were better than you today?
Strachan: What areas? Mainly that big green one out there...