Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

When MUST Smith leave?

Presumably age 70? She''s now 66, so, unless someone buys her out it''s ..............''4 more years, 4 more years, 4 more years''!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Oh dear!

When Skipper resigned a few months back it was because he had reached the mandatory retirement age under the clubs consitution but what that age is I don''t know.

How old is Mr. Smith - surely he must be up to that cut off point!!   

Due to the fact smith holds that many shares, they can change the age at any time so i think she will be here till the age 90 somthing. But the question was when should she go....... erm how about last week?

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

Presumably age 70? She''s now 66, so, unless someone buys her out it''s ..............''4 more years, 4 more years, 4 more years''!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Oh dear!

When Skipper resigned a few months back it was because he had reached the mandatory retirement age under the clubs consitution but what that age is I don''t know.

How old is Mr. Smith - surely he must be up to that cut off point!!   

[/quote]

When his loan period is up, I s''pose

..................OOPS - wrong Smith [*-)]

Does that constitution change if we are taken over?

All I''m thinking is that if we do get bought by that Peter Cullum for instance and hes already 57 would that mean he has to sell his shares once hes 70 or can he change the constitution as 100% owner of the club?

Er, don''t think so there is no compulsory retirement age whether there is a club constitution or not.........the AGE DISCRIMINATION LAWS came into force earlier this year, and no one can be forced to retire because of age.............so our Delia and Michael can be there until they drop pitchside if they so wish!

Where is there any legislation saying you have to retire from being a Director of a company at a certain age? If it''s true no doubt they will have considered it, but I can''t see anyone making them go simply on age grounds. Incompetence isn''t age related is it?

I''m not an expert on company law but I don''t think it''s a matter of ''legislation'' as such.

Companies are broadly set up and run in accordance with their ''Articles of Assocation'' e.g. this might state that the business must have ''x'' number of directors (with a minimum number probably). Each AGM at NCFC you will see that some directors ''retire by rotation'' and that is in accordance with the Articles of Association.

I would imagine that this ''retirement age'' clause is in the Articles? We were definitely told that Skipper HAD to retire (unless the club had formally amended it''s constitution / articles).

I''m not convinced that the Age Discrimination legislation that came into effect on 1st October 2006 applies in this kind of situation although I may be wrong. 

Actually there was legislation prohibiting company directors from being over 70, but I think that''s gone now in some recent reforms to that legislation, so in theory they could go on forever

Look at Doug Ellis at Aston Villa. He did not step down till he was 105 and STILL he is involved. STILL they are going nowhere.