Sign in to follow this  
on the road again

Point Duty for PG

Watching our Manager on Tuesday night showed to me what is wrong.

When we did have a corner nearly all the players looked toward the bench to see where they should be positioned. When one was not in his allocated square foot of the pitch PG would shout, point, wave or articulate to try and get them there. If he did not succeed then he would fold his arms, pout and sit down on the bench with his toys that had been thrown out of the pram. Thirty seconds later he would be standing again and starting over.

I do feel that he should sit in the directors box (or the Holiday Inn!) and let the players play. They are seasoned professionals and if the preparation is right then anything going wrong can be sorted at half time.

As an afterthought, why do all the subs spend half time gentle kicking a ball around rather than being in the dressing romm listening to the directions for the second half! Perhaps there arn''t any.

[quote user="on the road again"]

Watching our Manager on Tuesday night showed to me what is wrong.

When we did have a corner nearly all the players looked toward the bench to see where they should be positioned. When one was not in his allocated square foot of the pitch PG would shout, point, wave or articulate to try and get them there. If he did not succeed then he would fold his arms, pout and sit down on the bench with his toys that had been thrown out of the pram. Thirty seconds later he would be standing again and starting over.

I do feel that he should sit in the directors box (or the Holiday Inn!) and let the players play. They are seasoned professionals and if the preparation is right then anything going wrong can be sorted at half time.

As an afterthought, why do all the subs spend half time gentle kicking a ball around rather than being in the dressing romm listening to the directions for the second half! Perhaps there arn''t any.

[/quote]

Change your goalkeeper then!  Have you ever heard Gilks organising a corner?  I have!  It''s quite possible you could hear it outside the ground and if they don''t move fast enough the expletives are brought into play.

Agreed, we looked totaly un-organised for our corners. Towards the end of the game we had a few corners, but had 2 people marking their 1 striker on the halfway line and another 2 players almost on the edge of the center circle trying too decide what they should be doing, when the ball was played in, we had 4 players on and around the halfway line marking 1 of theirs. This happened twice in the last 5 mins!

What is wrong is that we aren''t winning games of football. I doubt if the reason for this is Grant being passionate and animated in the technical area. Just like last season at this time when we we weren''t winning games of football I doubt if it was because Worthington stood aloof with his arms folded. If only it was that simple.

[quote]What is wrong is that we aren''t winning games of football. I doubt if

the reason for this is Grant being passionate and animated in the

technical area. Just like last season at this time when we we weren''t

winning games of football I doubt if it was because Worthington stood

aloof with his arms folded. If only it was that simple.[/quote]Is it possible that he is trying to micro-manage and over-think everything, and could this be putting doubt into the players heads ?I wonder if he did a lot of damage in taking Cureton off after those 2 goals.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]What is wrong is that we aren''t winning games of football. I doubt if the reason for this is Grant being passionate and animated in the technical area. Just like last season at this time when we we weren''t winning games of football I doubt if it was because Worthington stood aloof with his arms folded. If only it was that simple.[/quote]

Is it possible that he is trying to micro-manage and over-think everything, and could this be putting doubt into the players heads ?

I wonder if he did a lot of damage in taking Cureton off after those 2 goals.
[/quote]

I agree he does seem to over complicate things, and that''s a good point about Cureton. But the point I was trying to make was that Worthy was hammered for not being animated and trying to influence the game from the tech area where as Grant is hammered for doing the opposite.

We are not winning games of football so the grass is greener on the other side!

[quote]But the point I was trying to make was that Worthy was hammered for not

being animated and trying to influence the game from the tech area

where as Grant is hammered for doing the opposite.[/quote]It''s a fair point that - you''re damned if you do and you''re damned if you don''t in this game [:)]

when i was playing, corners, attacking and defending, free kicks likewise, were sorted during training, we knew what our jobs were did not need the manager dancing about on the line like a lunatic and i only played at a high standard not pro.

[quote user="ricky knight"]when i was playing, corners, attacking and defending, free kicks likewise, were sorted during training, we knew what our jobs were did not need the manager dancing about on the line like a lunatic and i only played at a high standard not pro.[/quote]

agreed ricky! surely anyone with even a basic understanding of football knows the importance of this..

everyone should know their role, who to pick up, where to run and stand before the game...a few years back my nephew played in an under 11''s team (hes older now) and even then he knew his role at a set peice.

If a coach cant work on the basics of football then what the hell is he even doing anywhere near a training pitch!

jas :)

[quote user="jdungos"]

Agreed, we looked totaly un-organised for our corners. Towards the end of the game we had a few corners, but had 2 people marking their 1 striker on the halfway line and another 2 players almost on the edge of the center circle trying too decide what they should be doing, when the ball was played in, we had 4 players on and around the halfway line marking 1 of theirs. This happened twice in the last 5 mins!

[/quote]

Two defenders marking the striker (one in front, one behind) is football standard. Watch the games, all teams do it. However, I agree that we weren''t putting enough players in the box when we attacked, especially at corners.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I agree he does seem to over complicate things, and that''s a good point about Cureton. But the point I was trying to make was that Worthy was hammered for not being animated and trying to influence the game from the tech area where as Grant is hammered for doing the opposite.

We are not winning games of football so the grass is greener on the other side!

[/quote]

my problem with worthy was when the team looked desperate as if they had already lost the game with 10/15 minutes to go Worthy would sit there doing nothing.  Grant on the other hand doesnt stop with the endless hand waving and pointing.

As you say however noone cares about anything if we are winning games!