Sign in to follow this  
The Hoff

Peter Cullum

Whilst browsing the BBC site today i come across this post on the 606 your say forum and thought it would be worth posting on the real forum site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A27602228  

I''m sure you will all find interesting but i do not know how realiable the source is.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Listened to the scrimmage last night and Goreham (or one of the radio norfolk dogsbodies) rang up Cullums people before the show and they stated he had no interest in investing in Norwich at all. They just said he was a fan and like everyone else was slightly concerned by the current events at the club...

Yes it''s mostly what we''ve heard before and some of it taken almost word for word from this forum.  The only new bit is someone with second-hand information saying that he''s wanted to buy into the club "for years".  If that''s true then you have to wonder why it hasn''t happened sooner.

GB1902 wrote the following post at 05/10/2007 3:46 PM:

Listened to the scrimmage last night and Goreham (or one of the radio norfolk dogsbodies) rang up Cullums people before the show and they stated he had no interest in investing in Norwich at all. They just said he was a fan and like everyone else was slightly concerned by the current events at the club...

Not that i''m saying that this is going to happen - but surely if a guy from a local radio station phoned his company and spoke to one of his employees he would not expect them to either know whether that he had an interest in a future business or if they did, certainly not to confirm the interest over a radio broadcast.

One of the studio guests on The Scrimmage commented "he wouldn''t say he was interested even if he was, he''d want to keep it under wraps".

I don''t think this tells us anything we didn''t already know, which is very little.  If we had an unambiguous denial from the club, that might be different - but since when has anything that comes out of CR these days been unambiguous . . . [;)]

Perhaps Mr Cullum has gone to the dentist . . . [:)]

Hardly likely to announce it to a dogsbody from a local radio station I wouldn''t have thought, doesn''t really tell us anything one way or another.

I just can''t see Peter Callum investing in Norwich City FC, it just sounds too good to be true and you can understand why these rumours started in the first plater because Callum is a very wealthy business man who is close to reitrement and is a life long Norwich City fan, also on top of that there are an increaseing number of Norwich fans who want a new bored so someone out there has just put 2 and 2 together and come up with this rumour that is spreading more and more, sorry to say this NCFC fans but it sounds prity unlikely to me although I am still hopefull that i''m completely wrong.

[quote user="London_Canary"]I just can''t see Peter Callum investing in Norwich City FC, it just sounds too good to be true and you can understand why these rumours started in the first plater because Callum is a very wealthy business man who is close to reitrement and is a life long Norwich City fan, also on top of that there are an increaseing number of Norwich fans who want a new bored so someone out there has just put 2 and 2 together and come up with this rumour that is spreading more and more, sorry to say this NCFC fans but it sounds prity unlikely to me although I am still hopefull that i''m completely wrong.[/quote]

This is true. Lets all keep focused on the current situation at the club rather than thinking about something that may never come true. I am hopeful that it is but we don''t need anymore hopes dashed right now if it isn''t true.

Part of my reason for hoping there''s something going on in the boardroom is that otherwise it means that this shambolic mess is entirely due to utter incompetence verging on wilful neglect on the part of the present incumbents.  I''d prefer to believe that the current inertia is caused by some sort of stalemate.  It stops me doing something desperate . . . [st]

I still have a feeling this may be true, JC seems to be a credible poster and is obviously confident that the info passed on to him is from good sources, for someone to dream something like this up and come up with the name of  someone who is obviously very rich and a Norwich fan just seems a bit far fetched to me, the evidence may be circumstantial but it has come from to many sources for there not to be something in it imo.

We''re all different, but if your personal wealth approached Mr Cullum''s, I wonder how many of you out there, as lifelong City supporters, would commit millions of pounds to improving NCFC.

So would I

[quote user="walks on water"]

We''re all different, but if your personal wealth approached Mr Cullum''s, I wonder how many of you out there, as lifelong City supporters, would commit millions of pounds to improving NCFC.

So would I

[/quote]

So would I but were talking about a very successful business man here, there are plenty of very wealthy chamirman''s out there that are a fan of the club they own but simply run the club as a bussiness and don''t put millions of there own money into the club because they go into business to not just invest money but to make profit. There''s also the factor that Callum is set to retire soon so would he really be interested in the stress that comes from running a football club?

[quote user="walks on water"]

So would I

[/quote]

Absolutely. If I could potentially earn £2bn like him I''d purchase the club tomorrow.

Do you really think this NCPLC board will ever willingly give up control of Carrow Rd and NCFC? I don''t. They have invested too must of our and the clubs money in "off the pitch" dreams just to walk away.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="paint_me_yellow"][quote user="walks on water"]

So would I

[/quote]

Absolutely. If I could potentially earn £2bn like him I''d purchase the club tomorrow.

[/quote]

but thats the point isnt it the fact were all of a mindest to fritter away several million and never see a financial return is exactly the reason why were not successful businessmen worth 2 billion...anyway I think Id take more pleasure in buying the binners asset stripping and selling Portaloo Road to Tesco''s, andkeep them afloat long enough to watch a decline all the way down...

[quote user="London_Canary"][quote user="walks on water"]

So would I

[/quote]

So would I but were talking about a very successful business man here, there are plenty of very wealthy chamirman''s out there that are a fan of the club they own but simply run the club as a bussiness and don''t put millions of there own money into the club because they go into business to not just invest money but to make profit. There''s also the factor that Callum is set to retire soon so would he really be interested in the stress that comes from running a football club?

[/quote]

I agree with you, if I were as wealthy as he is I''d get someone else to do the dirty work.  (The original rumour from JC suggested that the Turners had got into the club on Mr Cullum''s behalf.) 

As far as making a profit is concerned, he''s wealthy enough for profit not to be the be-all and end-all.  But if the aim is for the club to become self-financing, the thing to do is invest enough to get into the Premier League and stay there.  That''s where the money is, and that''s where we made a £9m pre-tax profit in 2005 despite finishing one from bottom.

I would if I had that kind of money, 40 million pounds isn''t really a lot of money when you start talking in terms of billions, football is a passion and making money wouldn''t even enter the equation, having said that if serious money was invested in the team and increasing stadium capacity there would be a decent chance with promotion that you could start to take at least some of the cash back.

[quote user="paint_me_yellow"][quote user="walks on water"]

So would I

[/quote]

[/quote]

Absolutely, I mean as far as his company is concerned its hardly leaving a legacy, but by taking City into the Premiership and beyond into Europe again would cement his place in history!