Sign in to follow this  
Scottlarock

Naive and cosy backroom staffing

Politics shouldn''t be part of football - however when things aren''t going quite right then non footballing matters become hugely important. This is my first ever post and it''s not about the team or even PTP - with time we will be fine, remember Palace under Dowie being bottomat Christmas!  With the release of the accounts - and Neil ''I''m dreaming of the FA'' Doncaster becoming the story and the confusion over who''s£2.6 million it is. Some people have commented on non player wages.I want to know whyBryan Gunn is scouting and meant to be using his extensive contact list (Fergie). Bryan is a Norfolk and NCFC legend, thats it though. He''s had two clubsof which the former was as ''out the way'' as we were, he was a goalkeeper (who meet less footballers thean real footballers). Testament to this is literally the lack of quality we have , whether permanent or loans. Yesterday a Utd winger went to Plymouth ( practically Ireland) which is miles away.Other Utd players have been loaned out all over the country. It''s not just United though I''m concerned about.       Imagine you''re a championship manager with three answer phone messages - you have two minutes and can only answer one - they''re from Ian holloway, Bryan Robson and either Jim Duffy or Bryan Gunn. Need I say anymore. Quality attracts quality. We are perpetuating the idea we are nice wee country boys by thepeople we have communicating with the outside world.    Bryan is a legend. Better marketeer than transfer negotiator though.OTBC2-0 the score will be against the Rangers of Queens Park

I have to say my memory of Gunny as a legendary keeper between the sticks for years and years has been tarnished by his latest job. It sounded a bit like jobs for the boys (Scottish boys) when it was announced and I''ve seen nothing since to change my mind. It was sold to us on the strength of his famous book of contacts. Well, where is this book? And if he can''t use it to influence one or two future United starlets to NCFC (accepting that other circumstances might have intervened hard through he tried) then just what exactly is he doing? I''m glad I''ve got a better little black book of females than Gunny appears to have of football contacts!

I think you could extend this to all our scouting....signings over recent years have been limited to a. players who scored against us  b. players who played for us in the past   c. scots

we dont seem to be able to pick up players from lower leagues etc, I find it hard to believe theres not a decent CB knockling around in League 1 or 2

When I commented on this at the time it brought howls of derision from those basing their opinion on emotion rather than reality. While I have every sympathy for Gunn (infact I donated a tidy sum to his charity)....it is just another indication as to how small and cosy the NCFC set-up is.

Good post exposing yet another aspect of this club under Smith which stinks of "in house" nepotism. It''s not what you know....it''s who you know as usual........

..it''s a very curious career path that he''s taken since football retirement. Sticking posters up around the ground and shaking hands with people, then catapulted back over to the football side of things a good number of years since he was part of football. Mind you if you name a part of your stadium ''Gunn Club'' then I guess your creating a need for him to be around. This is nothing personal - I just believe you should have qualifications or experience to bring to a pivotal post like this. After all would the club put Will Hoy in the scouting position (no, because he is good at what he does and he knows nothing about scouting or buying players) so why is BG doing it?