Sign in to follow this  
Blainsey

What is the best way of protest???

Change has to happen, no question of that now, and change all the way up to boardroom level. But what is the best way of protest? I am not sure whether mass demonstration is the best solution. It places a negative spin on what we want to achieve, forces an increased police presence and always has the potential, however unlikely, for violence.

I personally believe that some for of non-participation has to be the way forward. ie a boycott. If there is a film that looks rubbish we dont go to the cinema, pay £6 entry and whatever else on food/drink etc, so why pay for something that is not enjoyable/entertaining and causes angst/anger/frustration.

If the attendance at Carrow Road drops dramatically then the board will HAVE to take action as they rely on the revenue created by the spectators. That seems to me to be the best and most logical way forward. DONT GO TO HOME GAMES!!

Yes there are those who will argue that the team needs its fans in there to ''lift'' them, well it hasnt worked so far!!

I welcome your thoughts and other alternatives on this matter. I for one, despite now being exiled anyway, will defintely not make any trips up the M11 until i see change.

I agree Blainsey, mass demonstrations are a thing of the past along with striking miners, and are no longer effective (if they ever were) as a way of bringing about change.

The issue of staying away ties many fans into emotional knots, especially if they are the kind of fans for whom "loyalty" (whatever that means) is more important than anything else.  But true loyalty is a two-way process.  There has to be something coming back the other way, otherwise the relationship become abusive.  I have had no trouble squaring my conscience with staying away for the past 18 months, because by overinvesting in infrastructure at the expense of football the owners of the club are not keeping their side of the bargain.  Of course I miss going to games, however poor the standard of football has been at times, but it''s a sacrifice well worth making.

Staying away in numbers would make a difference imo, because the club would not be able to take season ticket renewals for granted as they have in the past.  And posting on message boards like this also has a role to play imo.  The people that matter DO read them, and they will realise that not everyone is taken in by the spin that comes out of the Carrow Road PR department.  To use an analogy, if you want to break into a fortress, staying away bombards the walls while cyber activity undermines the foundations.  It''s a two-pronged attack.

Gee, this is a difficult one Blainsey, but I''ll add my five peneth if it helps.

Demostration: Attracts the media, its sad but they do, outside or inside the ground (my prefered choice) is effective, Chase and Worthy are two examples of some success. But it can also escalate very quicky and get out of hand.

By letter and Email: I believe this to be a huge waste of time, so I wouldn''t waste my breath with this one.

Boycott: Very effective if used in conjunction with demo''s, although attendence figures can be fiddled, the board would know the real situation.

And finally.

Messageboards: Don''t underestimate their power. I am convinced the club DOES take notice of them, if not, then they''re damn fools!, The ''Worthy Out'' guys and indeed this site kept up the pressure on the last idiot............and coupled with demo''s,  I believed forced the boards hand, so I guess this would be my prefered option.

Hope that helps.

don''t kid yourself, the board don''t spend thier days reading message boards. am in agreement with protests but those that stay away i am afraid are simply fairweather fans why not go and support your team during the 90 mins then protest after the game? or you could just go and support man utd which is probably what the stay aways will soon revert to after returning en mass when we became good you''ll all disapear again. See you in 10 years when we''re good again!

Staying away is the only tool available to protesters the way things have been stitched up at the club. However...even this will probably prove to be too little too late......and would only take real effect when we drop out of this league.

It''s in the lap of the God''s I''m afraid....but it indicates just how much control Smith and Co. have over the fans and the direction of the club.  It''s Chase in "knickers" this time folks..... that being the only difference.

totally disagree with boycots its times like this that we have to really get behind the team if you want to protest to or about the board then why not go to a road show, email neil doncaster, or write to the evening news letters page nobody wants peter grant to fail and if they do then they are very sad. if we don''t start winning then changes will be made by the board meanwhile lets give the team and manager a chance to turn things around

All of the methods have their drawbacks - but the only way to enforce a change is a combination of all of the above with a run of defeats. 

The media have to be involved to establish how representative the disatisfaction is,  the club have to be forced to hear (demonstration achieve this - incl such chants as stand up if your footballs #hit) and know that it willhit them financially.

I struggle to see how a record of 5 defeats in 6 league games would be acceptable.

[quote user="rainbow"]totally disagree with boycots its times like this that we have to really get behind the team if you want to protest to or about the board then why not go to a road show, email neil doncaster, or write to the evening news letters page nobody wants peter grant to fail and if they do then they are very sad. if we don''t start winning then changes will be made by the board meanwhile lets give the team and manager a chance to turn things around[/quote]

I disagree with boycotts too and besides they count all the 20,000 season ticket holders anyway whther they are there or not.

I just wish that people who had strong feelings would turn up at the roadshows, fans forums and more importantly the AGM then their voice would be heard.

A boycott is the best option in my opinion, nothing speaks louder than block upon block of empty seats. It''s true that the season tickets are counted anyway but it would send a clear signal to the board about our disatisfaction. Plus, the atmosphere at CR is so poisonous these days that it probably wouldn''t harm the players if large chunks of the support stayed away anyway.

The other great thing about a boycott is that it is a peaceful form of protest. The problem with mass demonstrations is that no matter how hard you try you will always get some idiots looking to cause trouble. Even if you try to distance yourself from such behaviour the club can still use it against the group as a whole.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="rainbow"]totally disagree with boycots its times like this that we have to really get behind the team if you want to protest to or about the board then why not go to a road show, email neil doncaster, or write to the evening news letters page nobody wants peter grant to fail and if they do then they are very sad. if we don''t start winning then changes will be made by the board meanwhile lets give the team and manager a chance to turn things around[/quote]

I disagree with boycotts too and besides they count all the 20,000 season ticket holders anyway whther they are there or not.

I just wish that people who had strong feelings would turn up at the roadshows, fans forums and more importantly the AGM then their voice would be heard.

[/quote]

What to be shouted down by the clicky majority and accused of not being a REAL fan? Seen it happen to often.

When most of the ground is sold out with season tickets, will people miss out on matches they have already paid for? Blocks of empty seats are unlikley but there are more and more empty seats appearing - it seens protests often do more harm than good

Constructive criticism and non-abusive vocal discontent personally directed toward the board at the ''roadshows'' and the forthcoming AGM. Adverse publicity for the board will be uncomfortable, and I''m sure they will do their utmost to avoid it. 

I may be somewhat cynical, but I personally feel that the AGM''s etc, are a bit ''one-sided'' and controlled by the club media and by the ''front 3 row occupier''s'' supported by early arriving ''partisan boardists''. The club critics therefore, need to arrive early and in a majority. They need to get in first with conclusive evidence, then air their discontent by asking probing questions and at no time allowing any members of the board the freedom or room to spin or out-manoeuvre, and the ability to dodge the questions. It is only a large turnout from those who have concerns regarding the current position of NCFC, that will display to those incumbents currently in ''control'', that ''browbeating'' a solo ''protagonist'' and forcing him or her to be ''rubbished'' ''tut tutted'' or ''shamed'' into cowering back into their seat - is not going to succeed. By reversing the trend, and by having a majority of critics rising to their feet when a question is asked- and a staid and solid refusal by these ''critics'' to sit, until an acceptable reply or answer is given.

They''ve certainly had a pretty easy ride this board, and now it''s time to hammer the relevant opinions and valid points home; and that whatever gloss or sheen they who are responsible (including Mr ''Nearly Down-caster'') try to put on our finances, accounts, off the field activity and under-performing squad -  with their perpetual excuses and plausible reasons that, "we ain''t gonna take it!"

I sure hope an unbiased local reporting media are also there to witness it.  

Solidarity with a large critical majority - is the only way forward.     

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

A boycott is the best option in my opinion, nothing speaks louder than block upon block of empty seats. It''s true that the season tickets are counted anyway but it would send a clear signal to the board about our disatisfaction. Plus, the atmosphere at CR is so poisonous these days that it probably wouldn''t harm the players if large chunks of the support stayed away anyway.

The other great thing about a boycott is that it is a peaceful form of protest. The problem with mass demonstrations is that no matter how hard you try you will always get some idiots looking to cause trouble. Even if you try to distance yourself from such behaviour the club can still use it against the group as a whole.

[/quote]

Thats what the Leeds fans started doing when their performances were dropping they went down hard

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

What to be shouted down by the clicky majority and accused of not being a REAL fan? Seen it happen to often.

[/quote]

Dont think you''ll be shouted down at an AGM Arthur and if you feel that strongly about the board its your chance to question them all.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

If it gets to the point where we are staring relegation in the face then it might come to boycotting. Whether or not the club count the tickets - they have had the money anyway if we go or not, is largely irrelevant - the boycott (or protests - in reality a mixture of both) attract media publicity which generally acclerates the issue anyway. Of course it''s extreme action and not taken easily. Everyone reacts in different ways - what is for certain is something has to happen to steer the club to managing themselves better.

I boycotted the home games after Martin O''Neill departed and sometimes there were only handful of people doing it ( I still see a lot of them at matches - they are all still fans and going to this day, not the rent a mob as was suggested at the time).

I would be prepared to boycott again - it just depends how bad it gets and whether there is a solution can realistically be found anyway.

As for roadshows - they are largely a waste of time, CA I know has said something at one re Nigel Worthington, as she related it on here last year, I have done the same at one re the Hucks loan. It''s not nice being ridiculed by the board and management in public (the AGM is the same) and they are well practised in slick answers and patronising fans comes easily to them. Make no mistake it isn''t easy standing up in public when you are not used to it to say anything!

There''s a fans forum at Diss soon, and the AGM. We will see what happens.

In my opinion the only way is to make this board feel uncomfortable as Chase & Co did in their last days at the club.

No one factor will achieve this in itself however.

Their must be loud protests (preferably in front of the Sky TV cameras), letters, e:mails and posts etc to local and national media (including forums such as this one).

Boycotts also yes (but it would take 5,000 plus not turning up to achieve them even battering an eyelid there so feel that nothing will be achieved on that score (a thousand people or more have probably already withdrawn their support until Delia & Co move on already).

It is entirely up to you how you protest and I understand that you are not happy but don''t you think it would be a good idea to decide exactly what you are protesting for? New manager - ok fair enough but who do you want as the new manager who you think would do better who we can afford? More money spent on players? - do you have access to the financial information and understand the financial information - is there any money available? A new board? -where are the new investors? I''d agree that I want our position to improve but exactly what is your proposals to improve things? At the moment it just sounds like an opposition party criticising the government without any realistic alternative policies.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Constructive criticism and non-abusive vocal discontent personally directed toward the board at the ''roadshows'' and the forthcoming AGM. Adverse publicity for the board will be uncomfortable, and I''m sure they will do their utmost to avoid it. 

I may be somewhat cynical, but I personally feel that the AGM''s etc, are a bit ''one-sided'' and controlled by the club media and by the ''front 3 row occupier''s'' supported by early arriving ''partisan boardists''. The club critics therefore, need to arrive early and in a majority. They need to get in first with conclusive evidence, then air their discontent by asking probing questions and at no time allowing any members of the board the freedom or room to spin or out-manoeuvre, and the ability to dodge the questions. It is only a large turnout from those who have concerns regarding the current position of NCFC, that will display to those incumbents currently in ''control'', that ''browbeating'' a solo ''protagonist'' and forcing him or her to be ''rubbished'' ''tut tutted'' or ''shamed'' into cowering back into their seat - is not going to succeed. By reversing the trend, and by having a majority of critics rising to their feet when a question is asked- and a staid and solid refusal by these ''critics'' to sit, until an acceptable reply or answer is given.

They''ve certainly had a pretty easy ride this board, and now it''s time to hammer the relevant opinions and valid points home; and that whatever gloss or sheen they who are responsible (including Mr ''Nearly Down-caster'') try to put on our finances, accounts, off the field activity and under-performing squad -  with their perpetual excuses and plausible reasons that, "we ain''t gonna take it!"

I sure hope an unbiased local reporting media are also there to witness it.  

Solidarity with a large critical majority - is the only way forward.     

[/quote]

Here we have as good a post as you''ll read.....and very worryingly sane Mello!        [;)]

Perhaps our Special Envoy Mystic Megson could smuggle in a camera to truly reveal the AGM atmosphere given there might be a hint of discord......then post it on YouTube for all to see?

There would definately be no hiding place nor dismissiveness for the apologists should this happen......

[quote user="cityangel"]I just wish that people who had strong feelings would turn up at the roadshows, fans forums and more importantly the AGM then their voice would be heard.

[/quote]The thing is CA as most of us know the most vocal trouble makers on this board and many others are nothing more than gutless keyboard warriors namely blemish, cluckless and 1st troll who have an excuse for every possible reason why they cannot, could not attend. They think sitting at their computer winding up city fans is the way to take this club forward. I just thank God none of them are ever going to get near to running this club.

Bimbo:

You just carry on with your personal insults towards me, the posters will make up their own mind as to the true reasons behind  your continued attacks on me.

A simple ''thank you for your past hard work wiz'' would have been more appropiate I think![:|]

[quote user="PJ Bimbo"]

The thing is CA as most of us know the most vocal trouble makers on this board and many others are nothing more than gutless keyboard warriors namely blemish, cluckless and 1st troll who have an excuse for every possible reason why they cannot, could not attend.
[/quote]

I can''t speak for the other gutless wonders as you spitefully call them, but if you can get the club to refund me the couple of hundred quid I''ve already spent at Carrow Road this season, then I might, just might, take your repeated rants a little more seriously.

Until I get that chegue, I''m entitled to have my say, wether you approve or not matey!.

[quote user="PJ Bimbo"][quote user="cityangel"]I just wish that people who had strong feelings would turn up at the roadshows, fans forums and more importantly the AGM then their voice would be heard.

[/quote]

The thing is CA as most of us know the most vocal trouble makers on this board and many others are nothing more than gutless keyboard warriors namely blemish, cluckless and 1st troll who have an excuse for every possible reason why they cannot, could not attend. They think sitting at their computer winding up city fans is the way to take this club forward. I just thank God none of them are ever going to get near to running this club.
[/quote]

Silly Billy......

Why protest when there are nincomploppies like you around who may benefit from the efforts of those more insightful? I''ve got more pressing things to do anyway...such as untwisting some string...or counting the tiles on my neighbours'' roof.

Trouble makers? Keyboard Warriors? Trolls? Me thinks you don''t get out much.......

[quote user="PJ Bimbo"][quote user="cityangel"]I just wish that people who had strong feelings would turn up at the roadshows, fans forums and more importantly the AGM then their voice would be heard.

[/quote]

The thing is CA as most of us know the most vocal trouble makers on this board and many others are nothing more than gutless keyboard warriors namely blemish, cluckless and 1st troll who have an excuse for every possible reason why they cannot, could not attend. They think sitting at their computer winding up city fans is the way to take this club forward. I just thank God none of them are ever going to get near to running this club.
[/quote]

Its interesting how anybody with a different opinion of the Board/Manager to yours is a troll/ wind up.  Why do you think this? Its a bloody message board where we debate different opinions for god sake. Get over it mate your sounding like a bloody little Hitler every time somebody slates the club. Ive followed city for 60 years so when i say somethings seriously wrong at CR it shouldnt make me out to be any less of a fan than someone like yourself with your head stuck in the sand. These are very grim times for city fans and the sooner you realise it the quicker we the fans can get it sorted.

[/quote]

[/quote]

"Gutless keyboard warriors".

Says the poster with a pseudonym of PJ Bimbo. Not so keen to expose your ''true fan'' identity, are you.[:|]

Will you be sat in the first three audience rows rehearsing your tutting, sneering and guffawing - in anticipation of a ''how dare they question they who ne''er do wrongs'' critics, voicing their concerns and then gleefully and well rehearsed slappin'' these objector''s deep down into the dirt. Or maybe, you will be sitting alongside the board on the stage, staring down at the ''oiks'' eh?

Or maybe, you won''t be attending either? As you will have your excuses for non-attendance.

You''re no better than any on this forum, your not the voice of the majority or minority - get offa your toadstool - and face up to it. Keyboard pacifist.

Posting inflammatarty comments on another thread and asking for the mods to go easy on people who respond to it!!! Thats the definition of a messagebaord troll in anyones books. That label was only given to one poster and I think you will agree that several other share his ''current'' opionios. I never labeled them trolls did I? Or maybe you could point out where I did. Mr Whittle, your claim that anybody with a different opinion of the Board/Manager to mine is a troll is what you accuse the board of this club of doing. Spinning bul**hit. Congratualtions on supporing City for 60 years. Mention it again a you might get a sodding medal. Debate away, I never said you couldn''t so don''t put words in my mouth either. What an utter waste of a post. I also realise its not all sunshine and roses down at CR but just because I don''t agree with your solutions to the problem also does not mean I don''t realise things are wrong.The arrogance seeping out of the radicallists opinions that they have all the answers is more Hitler like than anything I have posted.

Arthur Whittle wrote

Its interesting how anybody with a different opinion of the Board/Manager to yours is a troll/ wind up.

...or from a slightly different perspective a sheep/turnip