Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Promotion was a disaster

Seriouely.. It was a pure accident & never part of the Business Plan.

Norwich went up with  a decent goalie, a crap defence  (by prem standards)  one good but lazy midfielder, one half decent midfielder & a fantastic player who doesn''t really fit any team formation. It was a miracle still to be in touch at Christmas.

So the board gambled. Probably the most certain bet they could make, tantamount to buying money cheap, in the large & talented form of  Dean Ashton.

They nearly made it. But not quite. The repercussions have been dire ever since.

I see it like this. Delia et al. look at football with an outsider''s perspective, i.e. an uncertain business where success is only guaranteed if you have criminal amounts of cash at your disposal or have criminal amounts of luck - manager, players all click together & you have no significant injuries - & then some more luck. So what can you do? Do what you understand. Invest in activities that will provide a long term income for the club, providing a buffer against the workings of outrageous fortune. Long term stability.

I''n sure they want to be in the prem. just as much as anyone else on here. But they want to stay there. Without mortgaging the club''s future to unsustainable levels.

They do DESPERATELY need someone to advise them about football matters though. No more Peter Grants please. Garrulous people always worry me - they usually seem to be trying to talk themselves into believing they''re doing the right thing. Then they change their minds. Much as I dislike the bloke, the gritty stubborness of a Mark Hughes is much more useful to a club like Norwich.

[quote user="ron obvious"]

I''n sure they want to be in the prem. just as much as anyone else on here. But they want to stay there. Without mortgaging the club''s future to unsustainable levels.

[/quote]

Who is talking about Premiership, I am more worried about being in the Championship next season thanks....