Sign in to follow this  
Indy_Bones

A change in the wind...

The change that many fans have been demanding for months now seems to be gathering a bit of steam.Grant departed the club last night in a manner which has left some with a slightly bitter taste as he''s left with dignity and respect, however all the sentiment aside, he simply wasn''t performing as the manager. We could argue all day about what support he actually got from the board, or exactly what transfer constraints he had to work with, but regardless of this conjecture, he simply didn''t get the best out of the players he did have at the club. Yes, he offloaded a large portion of the crap we had, although I personally feel that any incoming manager would have done a similar thing. No, the time for change in management was now, and Grant has had the decency and honesty to admit it, and has made way for the new selection.Add this to the steadily increasing volume on rumours that Delia is selling up to the Turners/Peter Cullum, and we could be on the verge of a dramatic upturn in the clubs fortunes - assuming that this happens, you then have to ask the question of what level of support the new board management intend to give the new manager? Do we expect to see a scaled down version of Chelsea, with millions being made available to try to instantly get us out of this position? Do we look to stay safe this season, then make the outlay in the summer ready for a strong push after that? If we do assume that the buyout goes ahead and that it is the Turners, I think it''s fair to say that their financial and business acumen will make it very easy for them to see the importance of getting back into the top flight in the next two years.We''ve heard manager names being bandied about for the last few weeks, with some managers being dismissed with comments such as "There''s no way he''d come here" etc. Personally I think that if the takeover does go ahead, this changes things quite dramatically. QPR would hardly have been a club linked with people like Vialli and Hoddle. it was when Briatore and Ecclestone appeared that suddenly these managers became viable considerations.We clearly have a superior ground, superior facilities and training centre, a greater level of support, and in my opinion - a better squad than QPR do. So if the likes of Vialli and Hoddle are options for QPR, then we should be looking at the same level of manager or better. There are a number of managers available at the minute such as Jewell and Warnock who have good experience, but for me just aren''t right for the job. I say this because I''ve rarely (if ever) watched Sheff Utd, Wigan, Bradford etc play and thought "He''s got them playing some damn good football". We''ve had it demonstrated by Worthy and Grant that long ball direct football doesn''t work for us. We have players who thrive more on balls to feet and therefore should be looking to play an attacking passing game that takes advantage of this. In order to do this we need to hire a manager who knows how to play like this, and how to get out boys doing it as well.Seeing as how I''ve got more chance of playing for the club than we have of signing someone like Wenger, we need to think slightly outside the box. I want you to think if a currently unemployed manager who has played at the top level for club and country, a manager who in his first appointment in the job took his team to an FA cup victory at the first shout and finished 6th in the prem, then took that same side to second in the league and 2 cup quarterfinals. A manager who''s got the strength to make the difficult decision to drop a player who''s not performing, and most importantly, a manager who''s knowledge of how to play the type of game we need to is virtually second to none.So who am I referring to?If you haven''t already worked it out, the answer is Ruud Gullit.Before some of you pass out in disbelief or laughter, think about it more. We have facilities that Gullit''s former teammate Koeman described as some of the best in the world, we have a level of support that almost any club in the country would be happy to exchange theirs for, we have a top class ground, with external facilities that make it even more impressive, we''ll have a board that''s got some financial clout behind it, and a team that has the potential to perform given the right opportunity.Get Gullit in and see how quickly we start moving up the table.

There isn''t a wind of change Indy.  D&M aren''t selling up.  The Turners may take a more hands-on role but as things stand D&M will still be overall majority shareholders and keep their seats on the board.  While that''s the case there''s as much chance of a fundamental change of direction as there is of me playing for the England women''s team . . .

[quote user="mystic megson"]

There isn''t a wind of change Indy.  D&M aren''t selling up.  The Turners may take a more hands-on role but as things stand D&M will still be overall majority shareholders and keep their seats on the board.  While that''s the case there''s as much chance of a fundamental change of direction as there is of me playing for the England women''s team . . .

[/quote]

You''re quite wrong Mystic, todays nationals are saying she''s sold her 8 million quid shareholdinng to the Turners.

A good call Indy.

This news hasn''t just recharged my batteries................its super charged them!.