Sign in to follow this  
Scromitus

Appointment Imminent?

Here''s hoping, there''s a vast majority of Southend United fans who hope you won''t come calling for Steve Tilson again like you did 12 months ago!

[N]

[quote user="Scromitus"]

Glenn Hoddle.........[;)]

[/quote]

seriously you dont want him, i watched his football for 18months, he gets to tactical for our league wanting to play dimonds this n striker on the wing

if you like watching you team get the ball n playing side ways or backwards then he is indeed your man

[quote user="Glasgow SUFC"]

Here''s hoping, there''s a vast majority of Southend United fans who hope you won''t come calling for Steve Tilson again like you did 12 months ago!

[N]

[/quote]

I think that realistically Tilson could be the best guy that we could realistically hope for.

None of the other guys who are being mentioned by others on here would consider taking a job at City in the current mess we are in.

Surely Tilson could still possibly view it as a step up for him?  Although saying that I am sure that he would also have his doubts about joining Norwich at the moment.

[quote user="we8wba"]

if you like watching you team get the ball n playing side ways or backwards then he is indeed your man

[/quote]We were world champions at that....we had Mulryne

I''m hoping we give the job to Corey Feldman. Grant''s spitting image with an American accent.That''s all we needed.  Someone the players can understand (and go exploring dangerous caves for pirate treasure with).

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Glasgow SUFC"]

[N]

[/quote]

I think that realistically Tilson could be the best guy that we could realistically hope for.

None of the other guys who are being mentioned by others on here would consider taking a job at City in the current mess we are in.

Surely Tilson could still possibly view it as a step up for him?  Although saying that I am sure that he would also have his doubts about joining Norwich at the moment.

[/quote]

Tilson has relegation on his CV so no thankyou. We need to be ambitious, dare I say follow a bit of Bly''s benchmarking and get an up and coming young manager with a couple of years experience and no relegation on his CV. Colin Calderwood at Forest would be ideal.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Tilson has relegation on his CV so no thankyou. We need to be ambitious, dare I say follow a bit of Bly''s benchmarking and get an up and coming young manager with a couple of years experience and no relegation on his CV. Colin Calderwood at Forest would be ideal.

[/quote]

Worthington has two relegations on his CV.  He had one when he was hired.

How about 3 relegations Duffy, the cheap option?

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Glasgow SUFC"]

[N]

[/quote]

[/quote]

True, but it''s difficult to know how much of the frustration that the Southend chairman refusing him permission to talk to you last season is still there.  Some people think it was used as a bargaining tool in getting himself a longer/better deal (remember even though we were then bottom of the league the chairman gave Tilly & Brush shiny new long-term deals as he felt they were the guys to lead Southend forward in the long-term, a welcome change of attitude from the revolving managers door we''ve had at Roots Hall over the past 15-20 years).

Plus, if we get the final go ahead for our 22,000 stadium in the next few weeks as hoped & on the pitch we can mount at least a playoff challenge and go back up (either this season or next), we''ll be a lot more capable to cope with Championship football.

Tilly is Southend through & through and it''s debatable whether or not he can replicate that working for another team who doesn''t have a place in his heart & soul.

As it stands Norwich are by far and away the bigger team with greater prospects but, and I mean this with all due respect, if the plans for SUFC kick in and the chairman can take the club where he wants to go we can be at least as big a club as you.  The catchment area of Southend is over 1/4 of a million so filling a 22k stadium should be easy given the right standard/quality of football.

As for the other comment further down about, "no thanks, he''s got relegation on his CV", well looking back we improved an awful lot in the 2nd half of the season and only really shot ourselves in the foot in the last few games when the great escape was still very much on (I partly blame Cureton for that [;)]).  It would be interesting to see how Tilson would get on again at Championship level, I think he learnt one hell of a lot through our struggles last season (particularly in how to cope with disruptive influences Ricketts & Eastwood) and has also learnt to aim higher than 20th place (which is what he kept saying through the summer after our 2006 L1 title success and the first few games of last season).

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Worthington has two relegations on his CV.  He had one when he was hired.

How about 3 relegations Duffy, the cheap option?

[/quote]

CJF - You are troubled by the ghost of Worthington - you really need to move on.

The point I was trying to make was that looking back into our glorious benchmarking past in true BlyBlyBabes fashion we appointed young ambitious managers with a couple of years experience managing clubs at a lower level. The very best managers don''t get a relegation on their CV. The three examples are Ron Saunders, John Bond and Martin O''Neill. These were hungry managers who were ambitious, they may well have used our club as a stepping stone to greater things but if so we benefited too.

Colin Calderwood at Nottingham Forest fits the bill for me. I have no idea why he would leave Forest for us, that''s something for the board to ponder.

[quote]Hoddle is to be interviewed over the weekend - this is from a member of

his family. Prepare to see his odds slashed.[/quote]Look, Glenn, give it up, it''s over. 

[quote user="Scromitus"]Hoddle is to be interviewed over the weekend - this is from a member of his family. Prepare to see his odds slashed.[/quote]

Why didn''t you say so in your original post?  You''re a windup merchant Scrotum . . .[N]

[quote user="Fozzie"]I''m hoping we give the job to Corey Feldman. Grant''s spitting image with an American accent.That''s all we needed.  Someone the players can understand (and go exploring dangerous caves for pirate treasure with).[/quote]yes but that would mean we''d have to add an asian kid to the squad who assaults people with a boxing glove type contraption.

"we can be at least as big a club as you. The catchment area of Southend is over 1/4 of a million......"

I know you`re being friendly so i hope you won`t take offence but this statement is ridiculous. The population of Norfolk and Waveney (N.Suffolk) is over 1 million. Probably at least half of Southend go to Upton Park/Arsenal/Spurs for their football- where can the people up here go? NCFC have a huge captive market of potential support which is why we can still sell 20,000 season tickets despite being sh**e!

I wish Southend well but i think as a club which rarely fills a 9000 stadium, you will end up like Bradford, Darlington,Stoke,Coventry or Plymouth with a big, shiny new stadium but swathes of empty seats at every game.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]I know you`re being friendly so i hope you won`t take offence but this statement is ridiculous. The population of Norfolk and Waveney (N.Suffolk) is over 1 million. Probably at least half of Southend go to Upton Park/Arsenal/Spurs for their football- where can the people up here go? NCFC have a huge captive market of potential support which is why we can still sell 20,000 season tickets despite being sh**e!

I wish Southend well but i think as a club which rarely fills a 9000 stadium, you will end up like Bradford, Darlington,Stoke,Coventry or Plymouth with a big, shiny new stadium but swathes of empty seats at every game.

[/quote]

As long at the Department of the Environment don''t think that then we''ll be fine.

You''d be surprised, before I relocated from Southend, it was as you painted out a sea of big club shirts, whereas now due to the success of the team on the pitch in Tilson''s era (almost 4 years) as well as the huge amount of work the club are doing in the community, we are becoming a place that is [b]proud[/b] to support their local football team, much in the same vein as Norwich, your inbred "friends" from down the A140 and Portsmouth!

Look at somewhere like Reading who''ve snowballed in size as a club on the basis of a "build it, they will come" mentality!  Also, supporting a London football team is becoming increasingly expensive, especially for a family, why blow upwards of £200 say for a home game when you can witness (almost as good a standard - I''m thinking of West Ham in particular here) just down the road for 40% of the cost?

I for one, and there are many like minded Shrimpers like me, who feel with the current regime we''ll become more like a Reading or a Wigan in say 10 years than a Darlo or a Bradford!

[quote user="Glasgow SUFC"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]I know you`re being friendly so i hope you won`t take offence but this statement is ridiculous. The population of Norfolk and Waveney (N.Suffolk) is over 1 million. Probably at least half of Southend go to Upton Park/Arsenal/Spurs for their football- where can the people up here go? NCFC have a huge captive market of potential support which is why we can still sell 20,000 season tickets despite being sh**e!

[/quote]

As long at the Department of the Environment don''t think that then we''ll be fine.

You''d be surprised, before I relocated from Southend, it was as you painted out a sea of big club shirts, whereas now due to the success of the team on the pitch in Tilson''s era (almost 4 years) as well as the huge amount of work the club are doing in the community, we are becoming a place that is [b]proud[/b] to support their local football team, much in the same vein as Norwich, your inbred "friends" from down the A140 and Portsmouth!

Look at somewhere like Reading who''ve snowballed in size as a club on the basis of a "build it, they will come" mentality!  Also, supporting a London football team is becoming increasingly expensive, especially for a family, why blow upwards of £200 say for a home game when you can witness (almost as good a standard - I''m thinking of West Ham in particular here) just down the road for 40% of the cost?

I for one, and there are many like minded Shrimpers like me, who feel with the current regime we''ll become more like a Reading or a Wigan in say 10 years than a Darlo or a Bradford!

[/quote]

Well if the people who run your club are as positive and ambitious as you make out then good on them [Y]. Football thrives on that kind of drive and inspiration so it may work out for you.

Unfortunately my club-a club with real and obvious potential to grow and prosper- is run by negative, small-minded parochial types and supported largely by the same. We have sold out our ground for 90% of games over the last 4 seasons (how many clubs can say that?) and even our ultra,ultra conservative board admitted that demand was there to sell 35,000 tickets for every game in the promotion and Prem seasons.

I actually think that this demand for tickets from an enormous captive market has been a bad thing for the club, as the board know that people will turn out for any old cr*p and have become ridiculously complacent-ignoring a team floundering on the pitch to pump any available money into their latest pet project off it.

I hope not, but with the differing levels of aspiration at our respective clubs you may be leap-frogging over us in the near future....All the best.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]I''m sure the disabled fans in the community stand will be delighted to have Hoddel here!.[:(][/quote]

From England manager to manager of our lot. I wonder if Glenn did anything bad in a previous life!

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Glasgow SUFC"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]I know you`re being friendly so i hope you won`t take offence but this statement is ridiculous. The population of Norfolk and Waveney (N.Suffolk) is over 1 million. Probably at least half of Southend go to Upton Park/Arsenal/Spurs for their football- where can the people up here go? NCFC have a huge captive market of potential support which is why we can still sell 20,000 season tickets despite being sh**e!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well if the people who run your club are as positive and ambitious as you make out then good on them [Y]. Football thrives on that kind of drive and inspiration so it may work out for you.

Unfortunately my club-a club with real and obvious potential to grow and prosper- is run by negative, small-minded parochial types and supported largely by the same. We have sold out our ground for 90% of games over the last 4 seasons (how many clubs can say that?) and even our ultra,ultra conservative board admitted that demand was there to sell 35,000 tickets for every game in the promotion and Prem seasons.

I actually think that this demand for tickets from an enormous captive market has been a bad thing for the club, as the board know that people will turn out for any old cr*p and have become ridiculously complacent-ignoring a team floundering on the pitch to pump any available money into their latest pet project off it.

I hope not, but with the differing levels of aspiration at our respective clubs you may be leap-frogging over us in the near future....All the best.

[/quote]

Never have truer words been posted on here.....yet still they cannot grasp it. 

Staggering.

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Glasgow SUFC"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]I know you`re being friendly so i hope you won`t take offence but this statement is ridiculous. The population of Norfolk and Waveney (N.Suffolk) is over 1 million. Probably at least half of Southend go to Upton Park/Arsenal/Spurs for their football- where can the people up here go? NCFC have a huge captive market of potential support which is why we can still sell 20,000 season tickets despite being sh**e!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Never have truer words been posted on here.....yet still they cannot grasp it. 

Staggering.

[/quote]i agree with you cluck on this one, the trouble is tho that even if people were to boycott the game by not turning up it still wont make a difference as most of the people that go are season ticket holders and the club already have your money so actually thyll be laughing at your expenses

blahblahblah wrote

Hoddle is to be interviewed over the weekend - this is from a member of his family. Prepare to see his odds slashed.

Look, Glenn, give it up, it''s over. 

Priceless[:D]

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Well if the people who run your club are as positive and ambitious as you make out then good on them [Y]. Football thrives on that kind of drive and inspiration so it may work out for you.

[/quote]

Cheers for that mate.
As I said yesterday, seeing a club like Norwich is not good (totally different if it''s a bunch of arrogant "we deserve success" merchants like Leeds).
To be honest, again it''s a situation related to cause and effect of all the nasty Premiership money.  Football in this country is walking a tightrope due to the Big 4 and the other PL teams getting rich.  If say 10% more of their money was filtered down through all league clubs then the 4 division structure of England would be in a healthier state, which I believe would also help the national team''s progression!

[quote user="1st Wizard"]I''m sure the disabled fans in the community stand will be delighted to have Hoddel here!.[:(][/quote]LOL that made me chuckle mate nice one.