Sign in to follow this  
Robert N. LiM

A minute's applause for Johnny Gavin?

from the Pink''Un site a while back:

Norwich City players will wear black armbands for the next home game, against Sheffield Wednesday on September 29, which will be preceded by a minute''s applause.

Now I know some of you might think we have more important things to discuss: where the money''s gone, whether Grant has Tourette''s, whose fault it all is, that sort of thing, but...

I think there should be a minute''s silence for Johnny Gavin. There''s applause at football grounds for all sorts of things: the arrival of the ballboys, when we manage to string more than three passes together, when that 75-yard crossfield ball from the Doc lands right at Huckerby''s feet. Remembering a former great should be different to those things.

I remember vividly the atmosphere at Carrow road for the minute''s silence for Bobby Moore - these things should be special.

I think this minute''s applause thing started for George Best, which, given he was a bit of a rebel, was probably fair enough. But now it seems everyone gets one.

We are capable of a minute''s silence. Hell, during the Palace game we were silent for almost the whole of the first half.

Thoughts?

It seems to have started off with Alan Ball and has become fashionable. There seems to be a movement to put a positive slant on the lives and deaths of great players just lately. I have to say I dont really mind as long as the passing of the people concerned is recognised in some way.

Any idiot can spoil a minutes'' silence.  And there''s always at least one.  A minutes'' applause is more befitting of a celebration of a full life.

Yes agree, a minute''s silence is more poignant and allows time for reflection.  However, the family may have chosen applause, in which case it''s the right thing.

yep, 100% agree, a minutes silence allows us to pay our respects. A minutes applause is meaningless, it''s probably fashionable now since too many cretins cannot keep quite for more than 3 seconds.

Having not been alive to see Johnny Gavin play I can only speculate but surely every time he was at Carrow Road either as a player or after he retired he was greeted with raptourous applause?

I tota;;y agree with the applause it is what he would expect if he were at the game on Saturday. 

If his family have asked for, or agreed to a minute''s applause, then that''s obviously what should happen. But it seems more like a knee-jerk reaction to me.

Any more thoughts? If there''s a consensus I might email Doncaster later today with this thread attached.

thanks for the comments

I agree it should be what the family wants.

Personally I find a minute''s silence far more respectful.  If the applause has come in simply because of a few idiots who can''t shut up or turn off their mobiles, it''s a very sad commentary on where we are at.

A minutes silence in most sports would be fitting and well observed,

But sad to say in modern football crowds it is almost certain that someone will spoil it. Nothing to me is more annoying or embarrassing when this happens, it is totaly disrespectfull. The act of one minute of clapping  is a good way of preventing this happening.

I think it is fitting and nice that the club should remember Johnny, as many of us old uns do, thanks to them for that.

mystic megson

I agree it should be what the family wants.

Personally I find a minute''s silence far more respectful.  If the applause has come in simply because of a few idiots who can''t shut up or turn off their mobiles, it''s a very sad commentary on where we are at.

Spot On Post Mystic