Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

Does anybody know what Gilks is like?

I personally haven''t seen the lad play yet. I have on the other hand seen Marshall and I am not overly impressed. I was wondering if anybody else shared my view on Marshall and if anybody had the low down on Gilks

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]I personally haven''t seen the lad play yet. I have on the other hand seen Marshall and I am not overly impressed. I was wondering if anybody else shared my view on Marshall and if anybody had the low down on Gilks[/quote]

Same as you really, haven''t seen him play but I have heard a lot of good things about him from his previous club - albeit at a lower level. Similarly, with Marshall, I have mixed feelings about him - he has made some outstanding saves but has also had a few alarming lapses of concentration - Wolves second goal on Saturday possibly being the worst of these. Jury''s out on this.   

agreed . what i will say is that Matty gilks although young has been a virtual 1st choice since his teens, ok its at a lower level, but its still 1st team experiance season on season, game on game... am i right in saying he has played more games in His career than Marshall?

Marshall flitted between being 3rd and 4th choice with the occasional start over a long time at Celtic... although he has made some good saves for us his positioning and distribution are awful at times and he is starting to look like another Paul Gallagher...

i said a week or so back that Gilks will finish the season as number 1.... Time will tell.

jas :)

Gilks was being chased by Prem teams if what was said was true and came here to have a better chance of a game. Looks like he made the wrong choice, I can''t see Grant dropping Marshall for ANY reason at all. He''s teachers pet (by no fault of his own) and wouldn''t get dropped unless he couldn''t physically drag himself on the pitch.

I agree about Marshall''s ability though - a very good keeper mostly but has a few alarming moments where you fear for what he''s going to do. Hasn''t been the rock we were told he would be but he''s definitely good enough. I think the keepers are the only position we are very well covered. I wouldn''t be upset to see Gilks, Marshall or young Joe (When back from loan) wearing the number one.

Saw him at the Dereham pre-season friendly. Didn''t take too much notice though. Seems fairly good, doesn''t flap at crosses, but then again, it was against dereham.

No - only by reputation that he is highly rated,  and not just by our club.   He may be worth a go but he is only here as second choice,  a million pound second string keeper really is a luxury for a champs team.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]Does anybody know what Gilks is like?[/quote]

Yeah - he''s 25, male, 6'' tall, dark hair, athletic build, plays football and wants world peace.

Why?  you interested 

Yeah - he''s 25, male, 6'' tall, dark hair, athletic build, plays football and wants world peace.

Why?  you interested 

saw gilks play for city reserves v luton reserves.  certainly he''s got a loud bellowing voice that was constantly used to good effect to organise his defenders.   looked confident  and played in same vein as well - did well on crosses etc.would not worry about him coming in for marshall, if he was injured or out of form.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]I personally haven''t seen the lad play yet. I have on the other hand seen Marshall and I am not overly impressed. I was wondering if anybody else shared my view on Marshall and if anybody had the low down on Gilks[/quote]

I have seen him play several times at lower league level and he''s been pretty good.  He seems confident to me.  He''s played quite a lot of games for his age (at lower level, of course) so he actually has a lot of experience.  When I saw him, held on to all the crosses he came for, did well on a few one on one''s. 

Bellows at his defence and generally gives them a hard time - organises who goes where on corners.  In one match one of his defenders was tardy trotting to a post and was rewarded with: "I said &*^%(*& GET THERE."  Highly rated by Rochdale fans, much liked, local lad through their youth system of course.   They were very sorry to lose him and speak well of him.  I cannot compare him with your Mr Marshall because I haven''t seen Marshall in a game.

Cool head in lower league football (which is not that common) - very few yellow cards.  Never been sent off.

I hope he doesn''t rot in the Reserves because I think it''s a waste of a young keeper and with the rubbish Reserve League that everyone in the Championship is lumbered with, particularly so.

[quote user="Stella Canary"]

Why?  you interested 

[/quote]

That was hilarious stella canary [Y]