Sign in to follow this  
Headbanger

The main thing we miss

Look at just a handful of names from recent City history: Fleck, Roberts, Newman, Mackay, Gunn. I''m sure there''s more but they are the obvious ones to illustrate my point.

All those players had flaws in their game, and on some occassions, all of them could have an absolute mare....BUT, one thing they all had in abundance was leadership, character and spirit. The ability to dig in, motivate those around them and not hide on the pitch, even when it was all going pear-shaped. With Andy Hughes gone, the only other player in the squad of the same type is Dion.

I think we are probably missing this more than anything else, and its having a greater impact on results that any tactical matter.

Is there too much money now, and is this more important to many players than pride? Loyalty seems to have gone out of the window, as they dash off to the place that offers them more money or stay for their contract because nobody will?I agree with you that we need people with commitment, "willing the shed their blood" in the cause. This may be why youngsters can often do so well when first introduced. But they have to be careful and not lunge in as Shackle did in his enthusiasm.

Perhaps it''s a symptom of the way football itself is becoming just another branch of the entertainment industry instead of a do-or-die intensely competitive sport.  Many players derive at least as much of their income from sponsorship and image rights as from playing 90 minutes of football a week, and spend at least as much of their time fulfilling the obligations that go with it.  It''s almost as though playing has become secondary, a means to an end instead of an end in itself.

The players aren''t directly responsible, they just go along with the tide.  So do the new breed of fans who would rather watch a friendly between two teams full of star names than a competitive game between two unfashionable sides.

I don''t follow Formula 1 because it''s so borrrrrrrring, (and predictable)..... Cricket is absolute panty-hose. Am I interested in the forthcoming Olympics? No, too many ''performance enhancing'' competitors these days. I''m also starting to actually feel that football is becoming tiresome in some aspects......But, the beer and social get together with my chums afterwards, maintains my interest.[B]

Couldn''t agree with everyone more.  There is a distinct lack of fight and spirit in the game today.

I used to love watching Rob Newman smash people with all the grace of an elephant, and when Flecky removed his shin pads you knew he meant business.  Both players were not really technically gifted but boy did they give it their all.

I think we really miss Andy Hughes.  How are midfield could do with him right now.

This is one of the reasons I am so disappointed with Brellier, I was really hoping he would put the steel and passion back into the middle of the park, something we have been sorely missing since three lungs Holt.

At least there is light on the horizon with young Michael Spillane.  Remember his performance against Ipswich last season, was the highlight of my day watching him smash into people then emerging with the ball, fantastic...

[quote user="jimmy500"]

I think we really miss Andy Hughes.  How are midfield could do with him right now.

[/quote]Oh stop it please. Now its getting daft. What we''re ''missing'' is the replacements for those players (except Green LOL). Scotty cloggers nevr have and never will do the job.

[quote]I think we really miss Andy Hughes.  How are midfield could do with him right now.[/quote]Ironic that he was considered to be indicative of the failings of the club under Worthington, and the boo boy of many.  I''m not convinced that Brellier is still fully match fit, he hadn''t played competitively since December 06, then the chairman got involved and he spent most of his time on the bench. 

[quote user="jimmy500"]

Couldn''t agree with everyone more.  There is a distinct lack of fight and spirit in the game today.

I used to love watching Rob Newman smash people with all the grace of an elephant, and when Flecky removed his shin pads you knew he meant business.  Both players were not really technically gifted but boy did they give it their all.

This is one of the reasons I am so disappointed with Brellier, I was really hoping he would put the steel and passion back into the middle of the park, something we have been sorely missing since three lungs Holt.

At least there is light on the horizon with young Michael Spillane.  Remember his performance against Ipswich last season, was the highlight of my day watching him smash into people then emerging with the ball, fantastic...

[/quote]

Yes what our midfield needs now is without doubt the worst central midfielder I have seen in 25 years of watching city. What next? Perhaps we should see if we can get Steve Walsh and Fernando Derveld back to shore up the defence!!

For all his faults, Hughes never gave in, waved the white flag or layed down and died. Headbanger and a few others have called it right, there is a distinct lack of guts and balls at Carrow Road these days.............although there''s still plenty of bulls*it flying about!.[:|]

[quote user="1st Wizard"]For all his faults, Hughes never gave in, waved the white flag or layed down and died. Headbanger and a few others have called it right, there is a distinct lack of guts and balls at Carrow Road these days.............although there''s still plenty of bulls*it flying about!.[:|][/quote]

...although there''s still plenty of bulls*it flying about!

Yes, and this bulls*hit covers the heads of the gullible fanatical mushrooms - who are constantly kept in the dark and fed copious amounts of it.....Whilst the ''greedy gobbling goblins'' sit on their expensive comfy toadstools; counting their coins and feasting on the fruits of their success - far, far, away - from the field of the 24,000+ ''happy with their lot'' bovine poop smothered fungi fans.[:|]