Sign in to follow this  
Colourful Canary

CALL IN THE SHRINK !

It is becoming increasingly obvious to me that it is not the ability of the players that is in doubt, rather it appears to be the lack of a winning attitude. How often have we played really well for 20 minutes or half an hour, only to undermine the performance with an equally dire or nervy period during which we often throw away one or more points. I believe that the game is played 80% with your feet and perhaps 20% in the mind, and it is that 20% that is so often lacking. Dion apart, there are no leaders on the pitch and the current squad appear to have one thing in common - an amazing capacity for poor decision making and nerves on the pitch.

I seem to recall that during the lead up to Christmas the season before last, Nigel Worthington called upon the services of a sports psycho-analyst or similar, to install a positive attitude among the players. And for a while, it seemed to work - we went on a decent run, then for some reason the sessions were discontinued. Does anyone remember or know anything about this ?

One thing is for sure, Peter Grant, like Worthington before him, seems unable to get the positive winning mentality into this group of  players'' heads without similar help. So I say.....bring back the shrink, or, better still, bring in a more inspirational,  intelligent and charismatic manager - a coach, shrink and motivator all in one.  

it was the sports psycologists job under Worthington to get us "fired up" for away games...

have a look at our away record from 2000 up until we did away with the shrink in the promotion season.... i think we should leave him with his big couch in his big office.

jas :)

Actually, the sports psychologist I was thinking of was not as far as I know used during the promotion season, but the season before last when Worthy was beginning to struggle - can any one else remember this ?

Nay, not a shrink, we''ve been there done that.....how about employing a hypnotist like Paul McKenna? Maybe he could inspire Grant to inspire the players to be match-winners?

Seriously though, I don''t think putting a shrink on the payroll to do the managers job is the way to go.

Yeah HHC, I seem to recall the club using the services of a sports pyschologist about this time (think we jumped on a bandwagon that had been started by the England cricket team and a couple of Premier clubs).  Whatever prompted the move it was not exactly a stunning success.