Sign in to follow this  
Leeds Yella

Does Anyone Remember ' No Reeves No Future No Fans '

l remember the above banner in the new River End stand when Kevin Reeves was sold to Man City , over the years nothing has really changed , we have never been an ambitious team , except l think for time Hucks , Harper and Crouch were brought in on loan .Then for the first time l can remember we looked like we were wanting to get out of the division into the Premier League .Obviously what happened that season was fantastic and we won the league at a stroll with other key players like Svensson and McKenzie added to complete a very tidy squad .That is where our '' ambition '' ended in my opinion . We obviously needed a striker to bolster our squad and two or three experienced signings to ensure our survival in the top flight for that season .What we got was Doherty , Helveg , Jonson ,Safri and Charlton . Worthington then rips the heart out of the side by off loading Malky/Iwan who would have given us everything in experience Worthy then took us 14 games without a win . Any other club worth its salt would have got rid there and then and got in a '' proper '' manager to save us . Ashton was added in January with half a season to go , why wasn''t he bought in the Autumn , why , because we have no ambition . We duly go down , we still have Ashton though and unfortunately an unambitious board and Worthy . Another season goes by , Ashton is sold , we get no where near the play-offs , Earnshaw is brought in , but you get the feeling he''s going to be another Ashton with us for the short term . Worthy is still our manager , another dozen games into a season of dire football , Worthy is eventually sacked .We then bring in Peter Grant , a former player , assistant at West Ham , but with no pedigree , no track record , an honest hard working guy , etc etc , in reality another Worthington , a guy who does as he is told by our unambitious board . We go nowhere again last season , this season starts , again we are playing dismal football , we have in the last season sold Earnshaw , Etuhu ,Safri and McKenzie apart from Marshall brought in no-one high profile to signal our genuine intent to get out of this division . I like Curo and Rusty but they''ve been here done that , theres a saying that you should never go back in life . However , poor old Jamies body language yesterday in the Sheff Wed disaster yesterday was there for everyone to see , Rusty didn''t even start the game , we are an awful team now and you have to look no further than the board . They have moulded Norwich into a soft '' nice little '' club , we are laughed at around the country , its embarrassing . Peter Grant could be blamed but the guy''s been given no money no budget to get us out of the Championship , he is working with unambitious people who have a track record going back over decades of zero ambition , nothing will change until they do .We ought to keep Grant he would make a good number two and bring in a manager who is his own man , whoever comes in must be given whatever funds are required to get us out of the hole we are in . If this continues we will struggle to stay up .I go to 15 -20 games a season being based up in Leeds , at the Man City game the other day , I heard a guy behind us , who is known as the '' Ginger Pele '' say that he works at Gatwick , lives in Brighton , yet travels home and away to every game we play , Norwich City do not deserve fans like him and the regulars who fill Carrow Rd every week to be served with the pathic fare of awful lifeless football , no direction , no ideas , no tactics , no ambition , no future and ultimately no fans .

Nail squarely on the head Leeds, couldn''t have put it any better.

You are right about the Prem season when Worthy fiddled with a defence that had been the tightest in years. He forgot the old maxim,"If it aint broke don''t fix it". It''s been downhill ever since.

I think this club is beyond fixing now. Only a massive clear out and a rejection of the present encumbants will do any good.

Great post leeds yella and I certainly do remember Kevin Reeves and that banner. I know these days all lower placed clubs sell to the richer boys but I would argue we almost started it. How many great players have we had over the years that we sold for a huge profit and rarely was any of it, let alone all of it ploughed back into the playing side. This club is treated by the powers that be as a ''little old club'' even when we were top of the Premier Legue about 300 years ago according to Mike Walker we were still looking to sell players. The people who have controlled this club Watling, South, Chase and now Delia and hubby have all followed this principle. The difference is that they have 20,000 season ticket holders and could fill Carrow Road every week with a decent team. I am firmly convinced that in  my dream world if we ever got into the Champions League we would have to extend the ground. Despite all this we get short changed all the time, we pay out good money to watch complete and utter rubbish and the owners don''t give a fig and if they do they sure do hide it well. Sorry we are doomed to League 1 and not convinced it will stop there.