Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

The undroppable,unsubstitutable Simon Lappin !!

I think that Lappin is now quite obviously a firm favourite with Grant and I''m afraid his need to continously find a place for him in the side will eventually be his downfall.

Yes, a good squad player, good left foot and dead ball player but his permanant inclusion is now a detriment to the team.

Whilst a place must be found for him regardless of the system or formation one of three things will continue to happen, either a)Lappin will play on the left wing forcing Huckerby up front at the expense of Cureton i.e Charlton, b)Lappin will play as a central midfielder in a 4-4-2 at the expense of a recognised midfielder i.e Russell or Brellier, or c) will play in a central midfield three causing us to not attack with two wingers -probably at the expense of Croft.

To sum up Peter Grant -play your best players in their best position (preferably in a 4-4-2 formation), if that doesn''t include Lappin then so be it. Failure to do this just may cost you your job !

maybe thats because simon lappin is one of the few players trying their best at the minute and deserves a place in the team ... hes playing much better than brellier and russell currently are so why not play him centre mid! deserves much more credit than he gets that player ...

He gave the ball away unforced about 7 or 8 times in the last 25 minutes of the game tonight - it was a bit like watching Andy Hughes.I just can''t for the life of me get my head around the difficulty Grant has selecting his team and formation. Surely Hucks and Croft as widemen with two central midfielders in the middle, be it Russel, Spillane, Jarvis, Brellier or whatever in a 4-4-2 makes much more sense than these bizare 4-3-2-1 / 4-3-3 hybrids we keep getting. It''s quite clear the midfield players have absolutely no idea where they''re supposed to be,

Totally agree.

He was by far our weakest midfielder out of the 3 today. He was weak, he was off the pace, slow and he gave the ball away too much and he doesnt get forward. Russel should have been on for him

and despite the yellow card, Spillane was the player who showed the most out of anyone, he''s eager, always wanted the ball and had to stay on. He was holding the midfield together and when he went off we fell to pieces.

As you say Lappins a decentish squad player, as a back up left back and back up left sided player, but as an ''undroppable, unsubstitututable (word of the week!)'' player it is ridiculous, and to play him quite central is even more stupid.

this was a pre-match discussion topic in the pub.  grant loves lapps - and is playing him out of posi, when any fool can see lapps is not a central midfielder - he''s too lightweight.  its worthy and simon charlton all over again - doh!grant needs to choose between hucks and lappin - lappin is an average left back, and could provide cover for drury - better than murray imo.  OR play him left midfield - he''s not a winger, but is capable of playing it neat and tidy, and puts the occasional decent ball across.  all this ''best crosser in scotland'' is BS - not on what i''ve seen.  he''s rather like dave phillips and neil adams - both who lalso acked the pace to take men on. personally, i''d play 4-4-2, with hucks on the left wing, his best posi, and lappin on the bench, providing competition/back up as necessary to gee up hux up. 

Hold on just a sec!

There was only one man out there deserving of ''worst player'' and that was.... Darren Huckerby!

Somebody please highlight what it was he added to the team yesterday? Doesnt anybody else see that for some reason it just isnt working this season?

From what I can see Grant is including him so the decision not to include him is not questioned.

You''ll be glad we have Lappin (If he doesnt go somewhere better first!) when Huckerby retires because Lappin is an excellent left mid!!

Leave Hucks out untill hes actually ready!

[quote user="The Bucketman"]

Hold on just a sec!

There was only one man out there deserving of ''worst player'' and that was.... Darren Huckerby!

Somebody please highlight what it was he added to the team yesterday? Doesnt anybody else see that for some reason it just isnt working this season?

From what I can see Grant is including him so the decision not to include him is not questioned.

You''ll be glad we have Lappin (If he doesnt go somewhere better first!) when Huckerby retires because Lappin is an excellent left mid!!

[/quote]

You can''t seriously suggest that we are more likely to win football matches with Lappin in the side instead of Huckerby !!

As and when the day comes when Huckerby leaves, which I fear will be at the end of this season, I sincerely hope that Lappin isn''t cited as the long term replacement, we would need someone with similar pace to Huckerby i.e Kris Commons.

Has Hucks scored this season?

Has Hucks set up any this season?

Can Hucks defend?

Can Hucks play different positions in order to better the team?

No No No No

For our situation Lappin is a better option at the moment

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]Worst player out there today.[/quote]

i was unable to go bcoz of an injury and it was hard to walk .. but from what ive hear dureton was the worst player out their, and lappins set peices were the only chances we created from,...

The choice Grant needs to make is Lapin or Huckerby to play wide left. Whoever he chooses not to pick sits on the bench unless Drury is injured.

Not difficult is it Grant - don''t mess about with the whole team trying to get round it, just make a decision. It''s called management.

Hold on just a sec!

[/quote]

Huckerby was the only one who made a decent run past a defender last night. Although nowhere near his best he was our only hope of getting anything from the match.

To suggest we would be better off with Lappin is ridiculous in the extreme. If blaming Huckerby is what we''ve come to then all I can say is we deserve everthing we get.

Hold on just a sec!

[/quote]Sure he had a bad game but really... Simon Lappin over Darren Huckerby? Don''t be silly

Trouble with playing Hucks is that we end up with a 3 man midfield most of the game and if he isn''t playing to anywhere near the best of his ability then he IS a liabilty. We were overrun in midfield yesterday most of the time mainly due to only having 3 players there.

Yes Lappin over Huckerby.do we play as a team with Huckerby in the side?  Nodo we play as a team with Huckerby not in the side?  Yesdo we get over run in midfield with Huckerby on the left wing - Yesdo we get over run in midfield with Lappin on the left wing - Not as muchdoes Huckerby provide match winning preformances this season - Nodoes Huckerby provide crosses that lead to good chances- Nodoes Lappin provide crosses that lead to good chances- Yes, from set plays - but more than Hucks does.I would put Lappin on the left wing and use Huckerby as a substitute striker.  He can return to the left wing if he can start putting in match winning preformences again.on a related note I would drop both starting strikers, and not give Shackell his place back just yet:It should be noted that I don''t view this as a direct choice Hucks/Lappin - but more as a choice of which wing we predominatly attack on.We seem to play one attacking winger and one more defensive winger - normally Huckerby, attacking on the left.I would much prefer to see Croft on the right wing as the attacking winger, and the left wing more defensive - this means Lappin.

We need a solid team. Hux hinders that. lappin on the left or at left back, helps give us a balance we so sorely missed last night.

Heres a game plan:

Otsemobor             Drury  

Croft                   Lappin

Strihavka Cureton

Cureton seems to work best off low crosses so put him farside of Croft and Jon who generally cross more directly, and then have Strihavka (Or another of the big ones I just think Striker is more effective) farside of Lappin and Drury, who Ive noticed put in higher crosses in general. Now thats tactics so wtf cant Grant work this out?