Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Shackell must stay in for Ipswich game

Unfortunately young Shackell had to make his first full appearance on the day that Huckerby was outstanding, or otherwise he could have been a contender for man of the match. I thought he did brilliant today and deserves to keep his place for the local derby. He was calm, confident, commanding in the air, and more importantly he actually played the ball out of defence. His passes and headers went to our players, and for the first time in ages our defence did not sit deep and invite the opposition to come at them.

There will be posters on this board that say he is not ready for the cauldron at Portman Road and that the experienced Mackay should come back in. I believe we have seen a young man who could play a big part in our defence for years to come and he must start against Ipswich.

I don''t think there are many that will say he is too young. I think pretty much everyone agreed that when Malky got his red card it may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. And so it has proved. The only thing we were worried about was NW coming up with some botched up formation involving an unfit Brennan at left back and Drury in the middle, just to avoid having to put Shackell in there. But credit to NW for finally giving him his chance against the most prolific striker in the division.
Would like to see him in there against Ipswich too.

Normally a traditional manager will KEEP his winning side for next game, to be honest you should think Nigel will obey this "golden rule". It was amazed to listen how quiet was Robert Earnshaw yesterday! Perhaps we need to see a few games about can Shackell really do it, you have to try! Fleming had play with Malky in 4 years time together and possibly everytime Fleming celebrates Malky scored, this time Shackell come in once and Fleming scored, what a superb record:

Team against Ipswich:

Green

Edworthy Fleming Shackell Drury

Henderson Holt Mulyrne McVeigh

Iwan McKenzie

Sub: Crichton, Rivers, MacKay, Jarvis, Brennan

He was simply outstanding and reminded me in many ways of the departed Kenton.

What will it do for the lads confidence if we now go and drop him for the derby?

He surely does''nt deserve that after such an accomplished performance!!