Sign in to follow this  
TwoSheds

Is this one of our worst squads ever?

I can''t really remember a worse squad in 30 years,not even in the 70''s and 80''s when we were up and down like yoyo''s!

No - its is still better balanced and with better players than the one we started last season with,   and theone we played with before Christmas the one before;   what we do have is a level of confidence that is lower than ever and guidance from a manager who seems to change his mind every 15 mins arounfdhis prefered style leading to confusion pitch side  

[quote user="TwoSheds"]

I can''t really remember a worse squad in 30 years,not even in the 70''s and 80''s when we were up and down like yoyo''s!

[/quote]

Well TwoSheds....I''ve not experienced another one worse. It was bad enough last season....but at least we had an energetic Huckerby along with Saff and Etuhu who were capable of quality when inspired.

It''s a relegation team on paper....as well as on the pitch.

Certainly not.We clearly have some quality players who as ZLF points out, are suffering from poor tactical decisions and having rock bottom confidence.I do feel that the players need to be showing far more commitment than they are, but it must be demoralising to be playing each week in formations that just don''t work, with what seems like very fractured instructions from the sidelines, particulary when players don''t seem to be getting selected on merit or what they bring to the team at times.I personally think this is a stronger squad than the playoff final season against Brum, the difference being that they were playing as a team as against a bunch of demotivated individuals with poor direction from the top.

Agree 100% with you Dowp end , i think that the squad we have got is more than capable of holding there own in this league. I also belive that grant thinks this also but just cant get them to play how they should.

no... 10 years ago we had Adrian Coote, Shaun Carey, Che Wilson and our old mate Daryl sutch playing week in week out.... add Chris Llewellyn to that list and people like Ulf Ottosson and we were truly shocking! if it wasnt for Iwan and his "1 man army" of goals we would of been relegated back then.

we havent got a 1 man Army this season.... the squad isnt worse... we just dont have the saviour....

jas :)

It is if what goes on by means of performance and results is the yardstick. In theory maybe it is better than last year''s team. I have yet to be convinced. Grant has got rid of the hangers on, but can''t find a way of convincing himself or his squad he knows what he''s doing. Added to the lack of confidence the players have in themselves, the management etc it all adds up to a relegation squad a la Hamilton, when you know who came along to save the day.

It''s no good having great or improved players if the tactics are not working.

For me the only highlight this season so far has been Semmie. Can we wait for DTS to come good, and yes, Jamie was scoring for fun last season, but not for us. He doesn''t have the service in this team. The defence is no stronger - and the recent red cards have hardly helped in that respect.

Poor and unacceptable, given the money this club has coined in, compared to those above us in the table.

[quote user="ricky knight"]YES by a country mile, in my 40 yrs i aint seen a worst bunch.[/quote]

By no means is it a squad of world beaters, but surely it cannot be worse than the Bryan Hamilton squad?  Low confidence, injuries, loss of form and some poor tactical decisions have created a woeful mix on the field yes, but in terms of ability this squad cannot be seen as worse than the likes of Derveld et al.