Sign in to follow this  
DDD In The Fine City

Cureton, what a little lightweight

Didn''t we do well signing last years top scorer? With the body of a twelve year old boy and the strength to go with it he couldn''t hit a barn door, cant head the ball or jump a foot from the floor to reach it. ONE LUCKY SEASON! what else has he ever done?  

Er, sorry, correction due here.

Why are you slagging off Cureton? The boys record is (BEFORE resigning for us) 172 goals from 463 appearances with all clubs. Thats'' a goal every three games and equates to approx. 15 goals per full season.- every sesaon. You don''t score 23 goals last season and then completely become useless! Try looking at the ''quality'' of football we are playing and the service he gets.     

Finally where are all our other goals coming from if Janie is so rubbish? Take away the two he scored v Southampton and the rest of the team have managed a fantastic 3 goals in 8 games!!   

Just like Jimmy Greaves, I suppose.

Grant wouldn''t know how to use him either.

If Grant stays, I recommend to Jamie that he gets on his bike out of here quick, quick for his own good.

But then if Grant stays.................oh, dear.

I''d far rather have Jamie.

OTBC

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

Er, sorry, correction due here.

Why are you slagging off Cureton? The boys record is (BEFORE resigning for us) 172 goals from 463 appearances with all clubs. Thats'' a goal every three games and equates to approx. 15 goals per full season.- every sesaon. You don''t score 23 goals last season and then completely become useless! Try looking at the ''quality'' of football we are playing and the service he gets.     

Finally where are all our other goals coming from if Janie is so rubbish? Take away the two he scored v Southampton and the rest of the team have managed a fantastic 3 goals in 8 games!!   

[/quote]

and what league were these goals scored in? i have six goals in four sunday league games so far this season, thats 1.5 per game and they could get me on a free. the service aint far different from what earnie got, is it?

Cureton has looked less likely than scoring in the last 4 games than Brown  - and thats saying something...

As for records - Thornes was good too.

As for lackof service - teh same goes for every one of our strikers,  tehy are all gettng the sam level,  and I agree its a problem for them all.  Bu while none are scoring or even getting a smith the strikers have to do something else to justify a starting spot - Jamie was abysmal on Sat - and brown would have been (rightly) crucified had he performed like that

By all accounts, including my own, he was useless on Tuesday night. Didnt know what to do with the ball, seemed shot-shy, didn''t have anything about him. Had he have, we''d have won. We should go after Kluivert

[quote user="yellagreen"]

By all accounts, including my own, he was useless on Tuesday night. Didnt know what to do with the ball, seemed shot-shy, didn''t have anything about him. Had he have, we''d have won. We should go after Kluivert

[/quote]

Now - if that''s true - why would that be?

Grant''s got a helluva lot to answer for. Think of it. Jamie is just one of a long stream of players to play way below potential under Grant.

Figure it. It''s not rocket science.

OTBC

[quote user="yellagreen"]

[/quote]

Kluivert? yeah thats gonna happen, grant would probably use him in centre mid if he did sign

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Cureton has looked less likely than scoring in the last 4 games than Brown  - and thats saying something...

As for records - Thornes was good too.

As for lackof service - teh same goes for every one of our strikers,  tehy are all gettng the sam level,  and I agree its a problem for them all.  Bu while none are scoring or even getting a smith the strikers have to do something else to justify a starting spot - Jamie was abysmal on Sat - and brown would have been (rightly) crucified had he performed like that

[/quote]

Yeah but Cureton has contributed 2 league goals this season, as someone else on the thread mentioned the rest have contributed 3 in 8 games.  I''m not sure of Browns contribution suffice to say the only game we didnt lose in the last  5 games happened when he was off the pitch.

Zipper,

You have always been my favourite poster on this board with your open, honest and intelligent comments but you really seem to have it in for Cureton and you have been posting in this vein for a long time now. No way should any player be an automatic choice but to pick Brown ahead of him is rather bewildering.

Did''nt Cureton have the only shot on target on Saturday?

Personally I don''t give a damn about his workrate - remember Ted McDougall? If Cureton is consistently being handed chances but missing time after time then fair enough. I have seen little evidence of that so far.

Take your point about previous records but the same applies to any player you sign surely? You don''t hit 23 goals last season for Colchester by being ''lucky'' as some try to make out.  

Zipper,

You have always been my favourite poster on this board with your open, honest and intelligent comments but you really seem to have it in for Cureton and you have been posting in this vein for a long time now. No way should any player be an automatic choice but to pick Brown ahead of him is rather bewildering.

Personally I don''t give a damn about his workrate - remember Ted McDougall? If Cureton is consistently being handed chances but missing time after time then fair enough. I have seen little evidence of that so far.

Take your point about previous records but the same applies to any player you sign surely? You don''t hit 23 goals last season for Colchester by being ''lucky'' as some try to make out.  

[/quote]

For all I know Jamie has given up but last season when balls were delivered to him well (sighs, I''ll repeat this again) to feet/knee level he was quite good at putting them away.

If your players are delivering them to his head you are wasting your time (and you have wasted your money).  He''s no good in the air, for obvious reasons.

He wasn''t lucky last season at Colchester.  He was partnered by "suppliers" who also realised he wasn''t any good in the air and thus kept them down.

Zipper,

[/quote]

Yep completely agree, Brown is a waste of space where as Cureton can be used to good effect, he just hasn''t so far this season, mainly because the team hasn''t been playing very well and he hasn''t had the service, so far he''s feeding on one hlaf chance game with the service he''s been getting, even the best strikers in the world would strugle to score with that. I believe he CAN still come good in the end but that ultimately depends on whether the team as a whole can improve.

to be fair to all of our front men (of which none have set the world alight yet), it is largely down to poor service. Even the greatest strikers look poor when they are coming deep ot get the ball or chasing lost causes hoofed up front. We need to improve on set pieces and crosses from the wings, not booting it upfield from defence.

Cureton is only looking "useless" because of the dire service he''s receiving at the moment. Even the very best strikers go through lean spells. I''ve seen Henry, Rooney, Van Nistelrooy, Drogba, Owen and Tevez all looking ineffectual in matches at various times, and how much is the total value of that little lot?! I feel Cureton would improve 100% if he had a decent strike partner alongside him - somebody like Iwan Roberts in his prime. Don''t write Cureton off until you''ve seen him play with some decent service.