Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Scunthorpe

I think if there''s one thing this thread shows is how difficult it is to pick a team that looks capable of winning a game at the moment.  Hardly anyone can agree on anything really!

For what it''s worth, I would definitely be dropping Huckerby - his performance against Sheff Wed was that of a player who simply didn''t want to be there and right at the moment we cannot afford passengers.  I would also leave the back five alone - I thought they looked pretty solid last time out, despite conceeding a soft goal.  Here''s my try (442):

Marshall

Semi - Doc - Murray - Drury

Croft - Russell - Brellier - Lappin

Dublin - Cureton

Subs: Gilks - Martin - Spillane - Strihavka - Cave-Brown*

*only because he deserves a chance and really nobody else does.  Point to note though, Renton has been scoring for fun lately in the reserves and academy teams.  Is he worth another look?

Hucks has not been playing half as well as he has done before but soon that will change and just maybe Scunthorpe will be the night! I think we have to go with an attacking 4-4-2 formation, like in the Championship season with two out and out wingers, like Croft and Hucks and no Lappin. He is too slow and often let the opposition have too much room on Saturday. Therefore the team I would go for is:

Marshall

Otsemobor   Doherty   Dublin   Drury

Croft   Jarvis   Russell   Huckerby

Strihavka   Brown

Subs: Gilks, Murray, Spillane, Brellier, Cureton

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Responsibility and passion - can we please have some from the 11 to wear the shirt on Tuesday.

My team for scunny?  Back to basics - 442 and players where they should work best for us

Marshall

Otsem    Doc   Dion   Drury

Croft   Jarvis   Rusty   Lappin

Hux

Brown

Subs

Gilks  Murray,  Spillane, Martin, Strihavka.

[/quote]

With the crap Chris Brown and Unhappy Hucks up front, that formation says goals goals goals to me mate...  [:S]

Then again Chris Brown is due one of his 4 goals a season.

actually, during his spell on loan at Hull in teh championship shall we see how good Hull''s goalscoring was?

10-09-2005Football League ChampionshipC Palace2-0Hull City0
13-09-2005Football League ChampionshipHull City0-1Stoke0
17-09-2005Football League ChampionshipHull City0-1Luton0
24-09-2005Football League ChampionshipCoventry0-2Hull City0
27-09-2005Football League ChampionshipNorwich2-1Hull City0
30-09-2005Football League ChampionshipHull City1-1Millwall0
15-10-2005Football League ChampionshipSouthampton1-1Hull City0
18-10-2005Football League ChampionshipHull City1-1Reading1
22-10-2005Football League ChampionshipHull City2-1Derby0
28-10-2005Football League ChampionshipBurnley1-0Hull City0
01-11-2005Football League ChampionshipPreston3-0Hull City0
05-11-2005Football League ChampionshipHull City1-2Watford0
22-11-2005Football League ChampionshipHull City1-1Southampton0

Hull scored 10 goals in his 13 games... 

I guess I would go for something like

Marshall

Otsemobor   Doherty   Murray  Drury

Croft   Brellier  Russell   Huckerby

Cureton Dublin

Subs: Gilks, Chadwick, Spillane, Lappin , Strihavka

Possibly even swapping Hucks and Lappin, as he appears off the boil at the moment.

[quote user="pickle"]you gotta give strihavka a chance and what about jarvis he played excellent against man city and was the best player for us gainst sw[/quote]

Strihavka started against wolves and may as well have been playing as a cb for them.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Responsibility and passion - can we please have some from the 11 to wear the shirt on Tuesday.

My team for scunny?  Back to basics - 442 and players where they should work best for us

Marshall

Otsem    Doc   Dion   Drury

Croft   Jarvis   Rusty   Lappin

Hux

Brown

Subs

Gilks  Murray,  Spillane, Martin, Strihavka.

[/quote]

They turned us over on Saturday although we were off our game.  I think they are beatable (we should have had at least a point and a cast iron penalty was not given.  The unsighted ref looked to his linesman for guidance but the flag stayed down) but there is no doubt that they are extremely well organised, particularly at the back, and fight hard for every ball.

That said, people at the game said they never looked like scoring a hatful of goals but neither did we!

They will be buoyed up by their win so not an easy game.  Good luck for it, however.

Myself I would go for:                     MarshallOtsemobor  Doherty  Murray  DruryCroft      Russell     Spillane    Lappin               Dublin    CuretonSubs: Gilks, Huckerby, Brellier, Strihavka, Rossi Jarvis.Murray hasn''t done a lot wrong at CB, Spillane deserves another go at least in centre-mid. As others said Huckerby seems out of sorts at the moment (for whatever reason, not going into that), so I wouldn''t be starting him. Would then unleash him [b]early[/b] in the second half if things are not going to plan (unlike against Cardiff where it was too late and ruined the team''s balance). Something needs to change up front; with Dion coming back it seems like an ideal chance to start him there with Cureton... however part of me is tempted to try Strihavka there again since he and Cureton didn''t get a sniff at Charlton or Wolves, by not much fault of their own. Russell has to come back in too for me.

Marshall

Otsem    Shackell   Dion   Drury

Croft   Jarvis  Spillane    Lappin

Martin    Brown

Subs

Gilks, Murray, Huckerby, Strihavka, Cureton.

This at least gives us the option of goals, as we can adopt an Ossie Ardiles-style 5-0-5 formation if we go 1-0 down....

Marshall

Otsem     Dion         Drury

Jarvis  Spillane

hoofing it up to...

Martin     Cureton   Huckerby

Strihavka    Brown

You have to say, that is irresistable.  Confused [*-)]

Well I''d like to see the following, picked to withstand Scunthorpe and the Carra Rd faithful....No place for faint hearts, but balanced with the necessity of composed good use of the ball (the fans like that)

Marshall

Otsemobor            Dublin                  Murray               Lappin

Jarvis                Spillane                     Russell

Croft                          Martin                        Huckerby

We need to make the most of possession, the youngster''s inclusion I believe will help, they seem to have been schooled to play the right way and hopefully will have an understanding.

Some old heads,...

Huckerby just about makes the starting line-up although he''s fortunate given his recent performances & petulance on & offfield but we need pace and balance with Crofts threat on the right.Protection offered by Russell behind him. Dublin''s distribution and calmness under pressure coupled with his leadership qualities gets the nod over a very unfortunate Doherty. Murray preferred for his good start at centre and neat distribution.

Wish this team would play because I have quite a bit of faith in it''s abilities to create and endure...

& IF HUCKS HAS ANOTHER OFF DAY - YOU CAN TELL PRETTY EARLY ON ! - sub him....bring on Drury and move Lappin forward.

OTBC !

Just goes to prove, 3 pages of replies to the question and numerous different opinions, yet after a  game we have lost the usual suspects are screaming for heads to roll, aahhh, hindsight, what a wonderful thing!! 

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

With the crap Chris Brown and Unhappy Hucks up front, that formation says goals goals goals to me mate...  [:S]

actually, during his spell on loan at Hull in teh championship shall we see how good Hull''s goalscoring was?

[/quote]

Oh God. You''ve become "Paul the Big Red Search Engine" again - copy and paste, copy and paste, copy and paste ...

If being a prolific scorer is everything, then why oh why did England look so good with 5 goals in 41 games Heskey on the pitch?? I would go through the archives and pull out exactly when our Emile scored them, but I have a life.

Just do me a favour. Don''t let your bitterness cloud your judgement. I was there on Saturday, and Brown was easily in the top three best players and by far the most effective forward. He''s not Hughes, he has potential, he is still 22 and hopefully he can prove to be a good member of our squad.

My team for Csuntsthorpe...after much deliberation.

Marshall

semmy         d''oh           murray         drury

croft          russell         jarvis            lappin

dublin       cureton

I guess I would go for something like

Marshall

Otsemobor   Doherty   Murray  Drury

Croft   Brellier  Russell   Huckerby

Cureton Dublin

Subs: Gilks, Chadwick, Spillane, Lappin , Strihavka

Possibly even swapping Hucks and Lappin, as he appears off the boil at the moment.

[/quote]

I pretty much agree with that. But maybe Lappin at left back instead of Drury? I haven''t got much a problem with Drury but Lappin has got a few more ideas with the ball at his feet so would like to see how he''d link up with Hucks now that he''s been here a little while.

I''d also include Brown on the bench, if were were clinging on to a lead and needed someone to graft for the last few minutes then I''d rather it be him than Chadwick.

MarshallOtsemobor Doherty   Murray  DruryCroft        Russell       Jarvis      Lappin            Dublin          HuckerbySubs: Gilks, Chadwick, Spillane, Cureton, Brellier

[quote user="Mook"]

[/quote]

Oh God. You''ve become "Paul the Big Red Search Engine" again - copy and paste, copy and paste, copy and paste ...

If being a prolific scorer is everything, then why oh why did England look so good with 5 goals in 41 games Heskey on the pitch?? I would go through the archives and pull out exactly when our Emile scored them, but I have a life.

Just do me a favour. Don''t let your bitterness cloud your judgement. I was there on Saturday, and Brown was easily in the top three best players and by far the most effective forward. He''s not Hughes, he has potential, he is still 22 and hopefully he can prove to be a good member of our squad.

[/quote]

Search engine, no, just a quick soccerbase.

I understand your point, and maybe Brown is looking like doing a good job for the team, BUT it certainly is not a job that is in anyway improving our forward play.   My point is we DO NOT look good going forward with Chris Brown on the pitch. 

The point that is being made by others, I think anyway, is we are so atrocious in midfield that we look BETTER with him on the pitch than off it because none of our current midfield seem able to retain the ball - Something he can do. He is certainly NOT improving our front play as we aint scored in our last 4 games or come close to scoring either. In fact we have only scored about 5 league goals in 8 games - a poor record which matches the poor tally of 10 goals in 13 games Hull managed whilst they were playing Brown up front.

On another matter why has Croft been left out of the starting XI so much recently, with all Grants tinkering you would think he would get a couple of games, Otsemobor and Croft looked to be linking well earlier in the season??

[quote user="Ex-greenoschin"]

Just goes to prove, 3 pages of replies to the question and numerous different opinions, yet after a  game we have lost the usual suspects are screaming for heads to roll, aahhh, hindsight, what a wonderful thing!! 

[/quote]

lol!!  Yes Hindsight, I wonder when the board will roll that excuse out again.  Perhaps if they exersize the little grey cells a tiny bit more they wouldnt have to keep wittering on about hindsight.  As for the reason nooone picks a similar side, its cos NOBODY has any idea who to play cos they have all been utterly atrocious under the stewardship of :Peter Grant.  If a striker who can''t score and Gary Doherty have been out two best players this season it should be no surprise to anyone we are hovering just above the relegation zone. In fact the only surprise is the fact we arent actually in it yet.

Search engine, no, just a quick soccerbase.

I understand your point, and maybe Brown is looking like doing a good job for the team, BUT it certainly is not a job that is in anyway improving our forward play.   My point is we DO NOT look good going forward with Chris Brown on the pitch. 

The point that is being made by others, I think anyway, is we are so atrocious in midfield that we look BETTER with him on the pitch than off it because none of our current midfield seem able to retain the ball - Something he can do. He is certainly NOT improving our front play as we aint scored in our last 4 games or come close to scoring either. In fact we have only scored about 5 league goals in 8 games - a poor record which matches the poor tally of 10 goals in 13 games Hull managed whilst they were playing Brown up front.

On another matter why has Croft been left out of the starting XI so much recently, with all Grants tinkering you would think he would get a couple of games, Otsemobor and Croft looked to be linking well earlier in the season??

[/quote]

To be honest, I understand your frustration with the forward line. But like I''ve said on another post, we could be playing Van Nistelrooy and Owen up front, or me and my Dad, and the end result would be the same. We''re not making any chances!

I just think looking only at goal statistics is a funny way of evaluating a players value to the team. I''ve done some fact finding myself - for example, in his first 5 seasons in French football, Didier Drogba played 75 games and scored 15 goals. Even when he first went to Chelsea everyone criticised his lack of goals. But his value to the team is unquestionable. Also, Rolando Bianchi scored 4 goals in his first 60 games over five season in Italian football - then suddenly scored 19 in 37 and got an £8m move to Man City!!!

Just watch the game, if you can, and work out who''s at fault before automatically blaming the player you like the least, particularly when looking at past statistics to back it up. A lot can change when a player finds form and confidence! Although, let''s face it, confidence isn''t easy to come by at Carrow Road these days...

marshall, otsemobor, murray, doherty, drury/lappin, croft, russell, spillane, huckerby, cureton, dublin

subs:gilks, drury/lappin, strihavka, brown, martin