Sign in to follow this  
Paradox

How much £ do we have?

I read an article on Sunday in the Star I think titled "Canaries on the Cheap"

they were claiming that Nigel has been given £2m to spend this summer, where as the Baggies have £25m. First of all, to all those with "inside knowledge" is this true?

Secondly, is this a sensible strategy? Ok, we could do what the Baggies have done... spend sod all on transfers when they first get promoted to pay off existing debts, go down, use the parachute payment to get promoted again the following year. Then on their second attempt at staying in the premiership, they can spend nearer the £15-£20m they receive?

Obviously, if somehow we stay up with a couple of shrewd loans, etc, then this is an unexpected bonus, which we all pray for!

Is this what we seem to be doing?

Firstly, this is a plea to all those who read useless rags like The Star, The People, The Sun, The Mirror. They''re full of rubbish, please ignore them, the journalists who write the rubbish in them are illiterate muppets.

Secondly, to answer your question Paradox. We will have more money than Ipswich, but less than Chelsea. The Baggies will not spend 25million on players - that''s just uter nonsense. Although I wouldn''t be surprised if they splashed out a total of about 10 million, as far as I am aware West Brom were amongst the elite band of clubs in the entire league who operated in the black last season. They actualy made a profit, largely due to parachute payments.
The only truth above is that we probably will only spend 2 million on players.

Its a bit of paradox really, i''m guessing that all ncfc player contracts have ''relegation clauses'' in them ensuring that salaries match income. So loans are suit everyone. Theres always the transfer window mid season if theres no-one worthy is prepared to shell out for now, but i''m sure if there''s someone he wants badly enough then Delia will make the effort (Huckerby being a good example).

I would have preferred to have a full strength squad from the start though, we need to be at least mid-table around Christmas!

Things could be worse though, i just clicked on Teamtalks Div.1 news section by force of habit and was a tad underwhelmed about reading about Walsall''s transfer targets lol

and its not raining.

I have no insider knowledge - but various PR I''ve seen and some applied logic says £2/3m is about as much as Nigel will get. With the right loan deals and some astute dealing, I reckon he''ll be able to muster a reasonable team for day 1 and reassess when the transfer window reopens later in the year.
So far he''s got 3 players already for a modest outlay - so it could be achievable. and lasy years total purchases were well within £1m.

There''ll be enhanced wages to pay too as well as paying off some of the debt.

As for the Baggies. Dunno but doubt the £15m+ figure. Known as a sensible club financially, I would doubt they''ll go that far. But they do start from a far higher base than us. My guess would be £5/6m tops.